2026 Week 4 - WIU at North Alabama

User avatar
ST_Lawson
Site Admin
Posts: 8853
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Macomb, IL
Contact:

Something I noticed was that they had only 28 yards on the ground. Was their run game that bad or is our run defence decent? I was out of town and was only able to watch a few bits of the game.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

Support Leatherneck Nation - PayPal | Venmo
User avatar
NewNeck
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:25 am

Both front sevens dominated the game.  The difference should have been the WIU defense causing 3 turnovers and the WIU offense turning it over 0 times.  However Necks only generated 6 points off of those 3 turnovers and it kept N Alabama in it until the end.  WIU defense was stingy all afternoon and WIU offensive play calling was creative...the pop passes to the RB & TE were huge and it was never in doubt WIU would win...until it wasn't.  1st and goal from the 1 yd line with 12 seconds left.  Center looked confused and ball hit him in the behind.  Game over.  Huge missed opportunity for WIU as we were clearly the better team and played cleaner football.
rocki
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:08 pm

I am most likely the only one, but I thought (on the go-ahead touchdown) the ball crossed the plane before his knee(s) hit the ground. Makes no difference now, but I thought the call was questionable.
PurpleGold90
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2026 4:10 pm

New poster. Excited about this team. 

Some thoughts...

- Radio guys work for WIU, right? They are supposed to be homers. I actually think they do more than their share of complimenting opponents and calling it the way they see it.

- Radio guys thought we scored...ball may have been over goalline before knee touched. That should have demanded a review.

- As far as clocking it right there, if you do that you let the refs off the hook. Can't review after next snap, right? So Coach had to call it. Sucks that they didn't look at it. 

- Overall, though, looked like we were the better team. Can't wait for conference season.season.

Oh, and this is the best defense the 'necks have had in a long time. Man, are they fun!

 
User avatar
NewNeck
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:25 am

I think his knee was indeed down. Spread was UNA -7 FWIW. 

Feels like record should be better than 2-3. QB McGill, LB Reinicke, LB Buckner, RB Jackson-Anderson, TE Hargro all seem to be upper tier OVC players. We will see. 

We may be missing the dynamic playmaker at WR and haven’t noticed any DBs making big time plays …although I thought CB Keith was solid against UNA leading WR minus the DPI call.

WIU still heading into conference play with OVC #1 offense and #1 defense through 5 games. 
 
meganeck
Posts: 2351
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:23 pm

NewNeck wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 6:23 am I think his knee was indeed down. Spread was UNA -7 FWIW. 

Feels like record should be better than 2-3. QB McGill, LB Reinicke, LB Buckner, RB Jackson-Anderson, TE Hargro all seem to be upper tier OVC players. We will see. 

We may be missing the dynamic playmaker at WR and haven’t noticed any DBs making big time plays …although I thought CB Keith was solid against UNA leading WR minus the DPI call.

WIU still heading into conference play with OVC #1 offense and #1 defense through 5 games. 
 

 
I'm surprised they don't have a top end playmaker at WR, for some reason I thought they had a couple coming in either thru the portal or JUCO guys.
User avatar
sealhall74
Posts: 6180
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:18 pm
Location: Wherever, Windblows

Do you think Davis is going for the redshirt on Carswell?  My gut been telling me that. 
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:08 pm

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:56 am Do you think Davis is going for the redshirt on Carswell?  My gut been telling me that. 

 
Could very well be - particularly since he has someone like McGill to work with this year.
rocki
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:08 pm

Don't know if this is the place, but I also like the way they've worked Zolnosky into the lineup - going beyond QB with hime.
meganeck
Posts: 2351
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:23 pm

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:56 am Do you think Davis is going for the redshirt on Carswell?  My gut been telling me that. 

 
No more redshirts, 5 years to play 5
Post Reply