Zone vs Man Blocking

sealhall74

I am trying to get more familiar with the "innards" of a football game. My only real experience playing was at the Junior High level and I was a too skinny QB and not a lineman. This weeks focus has been Zone Blocking vs Man Blocking schemes. I am pretty sure the latter is all we used back in my day. Now a lot of teams are using Zone Blocking schemes. I think this is predominantly what Coach N has been using since he got here. Here are few premises (maybe mistaken) based on early readings and watching some video:

1) Zone blocking is an advantage because it is easier to learn (fewer rules to keep in mind when a 300lb DL is in the neighborhood).

2) Zone blocking is an advantage when your OL guys are maybe smaller and/or less athletic than the opposition.

3) RBs in this scheme must be able to quickly recognize where a gap or seam opens up, be nimble enough to get there, and hit the hole extremely hard when they do get there.

For any other armchair QBs out there, am I on the right course here?

Pardon me. I am really using this thread as a distraction to take my mind off of some nasty lower back pain which may keep me from Fargo tomorrow. If you have any suggestions for that, I would love to hear them. Nothing stronger than good ole Bayer aspirin or Jack Daniels whiskey, please!!!! ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Go for it. I love to hear people's insights into the X's and O's. For a fan who's never played organized football, I think I have a fairly decent understanding of things, but I know that there's a TON I don't know about different types of defensive and offensive schemes.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
BobLovely

Technically, it is called a "zone read blocking" scheme. Here is a link that explain this blocking scheme in detail:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... is-diagram

Bob
yokedneck

Recognizing defensive fronts (odd or even) accounting for LB are key as well in pre snap so the lineman get on the same page. Good article Bob. As an old youth coach I love reading stuff like that.

Tom
[thinkpurple]Leatherneck Football[/thinkpurple]