Weak slate of home opponents

Western_101

Two NAIA schools :( one of those schools decided that Trolls would be a good idea for a nickname (are their women the Lady Trolls?)

Can somebody out there explain to me what the United States Collegiate Athletic Association is? Well whatever it is I guess one of their member schools agreed to come to Macomb.

This Leatherneck team looks like the real thing. Too bad there is not much to get excited about with the non con sched.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Gotta have something to balance out Wisconsin, Iowa, and Creighton. I don't mind a few games against lower level opponents to fill out the schedule..."easy" home wins, lets our bench get more playing time and experience. Sure, it doesn't help our overall RPI, but it's HIGHLY unlikely that the Summit would get an at-large into the NCAA tournament bid anyway. Our only way into the "Big Dance" is by winning our conference tournament.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

Damn it Scott, why do you always have such good answers. I was looking at it from a perspective of the fans having interest in the home contests and also recruiting......." hey we play such and such at home". I like your answer, but the non con home schedule is weak.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:Damn it Scott, why do you always have such good answers. I was looking at it from a perspective of the fans having interest in the home contests and also recruiting......." hey we play such and such at home". I like your answer, but the non con home schedule is weak.
hehe....sorry.

I guess, would you rather have home games against Silver Lake (in Wisconsin...a heavy recruiting area for our various teams lately...1 on the men's team, 4 on the women's team) and Trinity Christian (south Chicago suburbs...also big recruiting) or games against Pacific and Southeastern Louisiana (like last year...neither are areas where we do much recruiting).

We also have non-conference matchups against Wisconsin, Hannibal-Lagrange, UIC, Iowa, Creighton, Chicago State, Loyola Chicago, two against Eastern Illinois. Instead of playing against teams from all over the country (like last year), we're playing teams that are almost all within our usual recruiting area and are much easier to get to. How many non-conference games do we have to fly to this year?...any? Furthest one would be Creighton, and they're just across Iowa. Our current starters (who, I think we can say at this point, are pretty good)...2 are from Illinois, one from Iowa (Sioux City...just up the river from Omaha/Creighton), one from South Dakota and one from Wisconsin.

So, I think of it more as both saving travel costs as well focusing on the areas where we seem to get most of our players.

And I'm not sure that the average student really knows the difference between most low-level Div. I schools and a Div. II or NAIA school. They're more likely to know someone who goes to Trinity Christian or Hannibal-LaGrange than someone who goes to Savannah State or Southeastern Louisiana. Same as the difference between us playing Valpo or U of Indy...most students won't know the difference.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
cubsflag

scott said it all.and personally i like the schedule.they play an easy game at home to get ready for creighton and then another easy one at home to get ready for iowa.perfect scheduling.it couldnt have worked out any better.and then they go to chicago to play chicago st and loyola after already beating uic.
Necks2003

As a D1 program, I believe we should try to compete against D1 competition. Wins against D2 and Naia teams dont count for anyone, and recruits don't get impressed by these wins. Unfortunately, we have a tough time getting home games agains D1 opponents.
wiu2008

The schedule is fine. It's great actually.

You have 3 buy games and we already stole one.

You even that out with the max of 3 non d1 schools...

If we finish over .500 we can go to a postseason. That should be the goals.

Buy 3 games steal 3 games and be over ,500 in the rest.

Everything is fine. And we stole a game this year so a great year is on the table.

For the first time ever we have a program. Let's enjoy it. Let's keep Covington, sandifer, and fuller healthy and enjoy our 3rd postseason in 5 years.... Go see what bradley, eastern, norther, southern, chicago state, northern, even isu, u of I, and others have done... Loyola...

We are probably 5th of about 13 in illinois the last 5 years. Not bad for having no facilities. Mo and Billy have built a real program
sealhall74

Having a weak schedule just to qualify for CBI or CIT makes no sense to me. Stay away from those tournaments and spend the time in the weight room.

It is NCAA, NIT or bust for me.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Northern Iowa had a home game with #1 North Carolina on Nov 21.
UNI won 71-67.
wiu51

I'm not a fan of bringing bad schools here. I would rather watch us lose a close non-conf game then demolish HLG or Eureka.
Last edited by wiu51 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.