2 Candidates

Tere North

meganeck wrote: I know we are behind the 8-ball on this, but for getting over 100 applicants seems to be a quick narrowing down.
Question: Do you know where Macomb, IL is? Yes, OK, you're a finalist. Thus, 100 becomes 2 :lol:
rocki

So, do we know for sure these are the "2 finalists", or are we just sure they are the first two to make campus visits?

I know they want this done in a hurry, but I have apparently drunk the kool-aid that Leatherneck57 is putting out 'cause I'd like to see them at least bring in someone with ties to WIU before they shut down the search.
sealhall74

rocki wrote:So, do we know for sure these are the "2 finalists", or are we just sure they are the first two to make campus visits?

I know they want this done in a hurry, but I have apparently drunk the kool-aid that Leatherneck57 is putting out 'cause I'd like to see them at least bring in someone with ties to WIU before they shut down the search.
Unless these two absolutely bomb out, I think this is it. Last time, only 3 were announced as finalists and one failed to appear. With limited budget, pending recruiting time factors, and university closed, you just cannot afford to bring in a bunch of people to interview.
Embrace the pace of the race.
W1U

They're not bad candidates but they're not really what I was hoping for. Hopefully there are a couple coaches yet to be announced with some connections to the school.
catbob

Ash may ride off into the sunset in a few years, but don't think he is going to go down without a fight. Like I mentioned on AGS and I see was quoted here, he isn't a high intensity guy. He looks flat and emotionless during a game. But there is a deep passion and fire for football, he just shows it in his own way. If he comes to WIU it isn't just to compete, or just to fill his time until he retires, it will be for the same reason he left his alma mater Drake after 18 years at helm - to compete for a national championship. That is the reason he left Drake, as Drake is a non-scholly and was never going to compete for a FCS NC.

Perhaps his expectations he brought to MSU are the reason he may have been fired because we never even made it to the semifinals once in his career, but he will bring those same expectations with him to WIU.

Yes, he is 64 turning 65, but he's in better shape than my 32 year old dad bod, that's for sure.
vatusay

Neckfansince71 wrote:Vatusay, not happy with these two candidates? Wiki both when you have a minute. Both seem to have great credentials and Ash will be right at home recruiting Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, and Illinois after spending time at Drake! ;) jc

Like others, just hoping a candidate with ties to the university is interviewed. They both seem to have a wealth of experience with success along the way. Just don't know if they are fits for the situation.
#ALLIN #YOLO
Leatherneck57

Looking at the comments from everyone I agree that one would hope for more candidates to come to campus. But on the other hand...as a person that does hire I can look through potential candidates quickly and narrow it down, set up interviews and hire within a matter of days. You never want to take the best of the worst and you know exactly what you're looking for. Just because we had over 100 candidates doesn't mean they all qualify. I'm sure we had plenty of high school coaches apply and HC's from other division levels or first or second year assistants.

Not sure if there are any plans to bring potential candidates with Western ties to campus for interviews or not. I do know that a couple of former Western players/coaches have had assistant coaching opportunities that they needed to commit to if they weren't going to be consdidered.

So with that said...if this is all we have I would personally take Fisher over Ash just because of his ability to coach QB's and and his history doing so. That's where the offense starts and the Necks are in a great situation and have two QB's that most schools would envy plus after looking at the practice video of Fisher he does have a calming and encouraging teaching voice that players will respond to.

After reading about Ash I too think he has lost some of his mojo as a coach and if you can't beat Montana on a regular basis I can see where alumni got frustrated. It's sort of like not beating Illinois State and as a former player I can't stand that team...never have never will.

I really don't care what part of the country the next HC comes from because is you are a good coach recruiting won't be problem.

Lastly...I do know that one candidate is bringing his wife which in my opinion speaks volumes!
wiu51

What do campus and community open forums consist of? Just a meet and greet or will he answer questions from the group?
meganeck

I do realize probably over half of the applicants weren't serious, but still figured there had to be at least 20/25 that would merit consideration, anyway glad they are moving with an urgency.

I like the fact that Fisher has an offensive background and Like the fact that Ash has ties to the area. Ash might not be a fiery guy but neither was Nielson. Correct me if I was wrong but I don't think he showed much emotion.

Nothing against Coach Yelk, but I think everybody would agree, the 2 announced candidates are better options than Yelk. Also I wonder if any of the assistants applied for the job.
wiu51

From what I heard no assistants applied for the job.