Bowl games etc.

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
leatherface

I have no problem with the Stanford Band. acting goofy.
Sorry Notre Dame lost, glad Stanford won.
Too many bowls, when teams with losing records get in, that is goofier than the Stanford Band.
Glad Alabama won, sorry Clemson won.
Glad Tenneesee(sp) won, SEC continues to show the way-except for the Gators.
Glad Baylor won
sealhall74

There were Bowl games this year? Damn, I spent the entire day watching Anthony Bourdain on CNN and don't regret a minute of it.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

The TV ratings for the two semi-final games were down 36% in comparison to last year.

The College Football Playoff Committee will need to re-assess the wisdom of having the 2 big games on New Year's Eve.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherface wrote:I have no problem with the Stanford Band. acting goofy.
My opinion on the Stanford "band" is not able to be properly expressed using words that I'm willing to post online.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherface

I believe they have been this way for years- folks need to lighten up. The school supports their "brand". To tell the truth, the "old school" para-military action is a little too much sometimes. I do like the Texas A&M band, have seen them perform, and they are great.
sealhall74

leatherface wrote:I believe they have been this way for years- folks need to lighten up. The school supports their "brand". To tell the truth, the "old school" para-military action is a little too much sometimes. I do like the Texas A&M band, have seen them perform, and they are great.
You is right. When you don't have a brand, nobody is talking about you and that is never a good thing.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yea, I know. I just don't like their style. For me it's less about the whole "being funny/silly" thing and more that they do it so poorly.

One of my favorite drum corps (like a professional marching band...kinda) was called the Velvet Knights. They were known for being funny, silly, making fun of pop culture, other corps, etc. The thing is, they were also very good. They did funny very well.

Stanford's band tries to be funny, and executes it like someone drew it up on a napkin three days earlier and they spent 45 minutes total putting it on the field.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

leatherface wrote:I have no problem with the Stanford Band. acting goofy.
Long-time Western fans will remember that we had a non-traditional football band for a few years back in the 1960's.

The band did little-to-no marching and would run "helter-skelter" when changing formations--similar to what the Stanford band does. They were called Western's Show Band (as opposed to "marching band").

Instead of traditional band uniforms, the Show Band wore WESTERN sweatshirts and Purple hats. The hats were light weight and not fastened on, so they would frequently blow off. I can remember one half time show during which a strong gust blew off most of the hats and sent them flying through the air.
leatherface

That sounds interesting. Maybe something like that for a home game or two would be different, and lead to some enthusiasm from fans. Scott, you are involved with the band and have contacts, do you think the band director would be interested in doing something unique during a few half times?
Tere North

wiu712 wrote:Long-time Western fans will remember that we had a non-traditional football band for a few years back in the 1960's.

The band did little-to-no marching and would run "helter-skelter" when changing formations--similar to what the Stanford band does. They were called Western's Show Band (as opposed to "marching band").

Instead of traditional band uniforms, the Show Band wore WESTERN sweatshirts and Purple hats. The hats were light weight and not fastened on, so they would frequently blow off. I can remember one half time show during which a strong gust blew off most of the hats and sent them flying through the air.
I like 2 kinds of marching bands. 1) Those that have fully integrated marching and playing with nice ending results. 2) Those that have lots of fun, and it shows, while being different.

What I don't like are those that focus on playing non-marching music and only play in position, not on the move. It is supposed to be a marching band, not a symphonic band that just plays from different formations on the field.