Press conference on Monday 1/11

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
sealhall74

I could see UN-Omaha going to Valley. Favorable location. Good market left vacant by Creighton departure. New Arena. Pretty good baseball and it looks like their basketball is trending up.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:Valparaiso itself is only about 30k people (roughly Galesburg sized). I think they're a bit too far out to be considered in the Chicago market...about 25 miles southeast of Gary, IN.
Valporaiso is located between the Chicago and South Bend-Elkhart tv markets. Valporaiso is considered part of the Chicago TV "Area of Dominant Influence" which means that the Chicago local stations are on the cable and satellite tv systems.
Tere North wrote:Add QC into the mix, and I imagine with 400+K folks, the "Western" market increases considerably to #99/100.
The Davenport-Rock Island-Moline TV market is #101 with 293,220 tv homes.
sealhall74 wrote:I could see UN-Omaha going to Valley. Favorable location. Good market left vacant by Creighton departure.
The Omaha TV market is #74 with 409,160 tv homes.
vatusay

Unfortunately, members of the MVC would never consider WIU and laugh at anyone that were to bring them up as a possible new member. Wish I was wrong.
#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu712

Story about the press conference as seen on WGEM Sports with Ben Marth:
http://www.wgem.com/story/30940508/2016 ... -athletics
LocalFan

Article on Tri States Public Radio:
http://tspr.org/post/wiu-names-athletic-director
LeatherCy

Unfortunately Vatusay is spot on. Others in the Valley would laugh at WIU trying to be a member. Back when UNI joined all hell was raised. UNI still played in the football based UNI-DOME and the women played in West Gym which was built in the '20's. UNI made progress in basketball and the MacLeod Center was built. When UNI upset Kansas in the Big Dance they really made their mark. This year alone they defeated #1 North Carolina at Cedar Falls (this was game Roy scheduled so Marcus Paige from Cedar Rapids could play close to home but had a broken hand) and #5 Iowa State on neutral floor in Des Moines.
WIU0812

May be a bad time to to this with the budget in shambles and what not, but would be nice to see Tanney begin a fundraising campaign for the West Stand Rehab. Even if this takes 3 to 5 years to start construction, it never hurts to get ahead of the curve and use a few seasons of fundraising during games to help. Just be upfront in the beginning and tell donors they are donating to something that will not be happening immediately no need to trick us into thinking this is capable of starting next year.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:May be a bad time to to this with the budget in shambles and what not, but would be nice to see Tanney begin a fundraising campaign for the West Stand Rehab. Even if this takes 3 to 5 years to start construction, it never hurts to get ahead of the curve and use a few seasons of fundraising during games to help. Just be upfront in the beginning and tell donors they are donating to something that will not be happening immediately no need to trick us into thinking this is capable of starting next year.
From what I hear from people "in the know" this is already underway. Not a public campaign yet, but organizing donors, getting commitments for donations, that kind of stuff. I don't think they're planning on waiting for state funding of stuff to come back, they're getting things rolling now (actually, have been for a while).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
vatusay

Win the powerball and all is good.
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

vatusay wrote:Win the powerball and all is good.
I win the powerball and you can be sure we're getting a damn fine stadium and basketball arena (maybe I should buy a ticket).

How does "Stix" Morley Court at the Leatherneck Arena sound?
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000