Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
leatherface

Just wondering if the resources available through the U of I would help off set the economic struggles WIU faces by itself. Along these lines, if WIU became a "niche" school for the U of I, I would think that could increase or at least stabilize enrollment. The downside is there would be two U of I branch campuses in this region.There are a lot of students and parents who would possibly look at a degree from " the U of I" to be more marketable for their needs than possibly a degree from a regional state school.

We have interviewed grads of UIS, and they always stress how they went to the U of I.

The U of I will have more resources- just because it's the state " flagship" school.
sealhall74

leatherface wrote:Just wondering if the resources available through the U of I would help off set the economic struggles WIU faces by itself. Along these lines, if WIU became a "niche" school for the U of I, I would think that could increase or at least stabilize enrollment. The downside is there would be two U of I branch campuses in this region.There are a lot of students and parents who would possibly look at a degree from " the U of I" to be more marketable for their needs than possibly a degree from a regional state school.

We have interviewed grads of UIS, and they always stress how they went to the U of I.

The U of I will have more resources- just because it's the state " flagship" school.
I did not realize until today that the U of I also has regional campuses in Rockford, QC, and Peoria. Seems most of the current training is nursing and health care related but nursing is one of our "signature" programs so we are competing with them. Our QC campus could possibly be a bargaining chip to become part of the system. I agree with you 100%. The chance of survival is much greater under their umbrella.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

LocalYokelFan wrote:I'm interested in why WIU should be part of the U of I system.
There would be some cost savings although it would come in the form of job losses in Macomb.

When Sangamon State was transitioned into UIS, several Springfield business offices such as Payroll were centralized in Urbana.
leatherface

That would likely happen. However, jobs are going to be lost any way as things stand.Survival is the key.Higher Education in Illinois is going to change. Do you want to be on the tip of the sword when things change, or do little planning and just assume things will work out for WIU.

It would be similar to a business buy out in some ways. Yes, some jobs might be lost, however a more streamlined and focused outcome could be better in the long term.
LocalYokelFan

I'm a local Macomb resident, businessman, and UIUC alumni, and I guess I just don't see much benefit for either institution. Many around UIUC lament that their Board has to encompass people with interest in UIS and UIC. The organizational chart within the U of I system is wrought with conflict; sometimes more visible than not. Google search some Loren Tate articles from the Champaign News Gazette and I'm sure you'll get hints of how much he loves the multi-campus BoT model, particularly when it comes to making athletic decisions. As for WIU, maybe they get some administrative cost savings out of a deal like that and a safety net for survival, but what would they lose? Usually there's a "give and take" with a deal like that (See Missouri State--and that was just a name change) and again, my understanding of Champaign's general dislike of splitting what they consider 'their' resources with other campuses, I think they'd make WIU fleece their soul before reaching an agreement.

Also, since we are on a sports message board, I'd be very concerned about Leatherneck athletics under the U of I umbrella. As downtrodden as Illini fans are right now, their boosters are significantly more influential than WIU's and they will fight hard for all but the crumbs of resources the BoT allots for athletics. Ask a UIC Flames fan how much the U of I BOT cares about their athletics program; I'm guessing you'll hear a few bad words in the process.
leatherface

Some good insights. Obviously it would need to be a strong commitment on all sides to make things work and be fair to all parties. This type of umbrella seems to work in Missouri- UMSL, UMKC, ( Missouri State is not part of the U of Missouri system) I believe Missouri University of Science and Technology- formerly called U of Missouri-Rolla is still part of their system too.

Wisconsin seems to make it work, along with some other states.

If the main campus refuses to "give anything up", then it's not a good deal. Just looking to the future, and what might be best to keep WIU competitive with other state schools. Yes, other schools have enrollment drops and fiscal issues, however, others have increased enrollment and are well positioned for continued growth. In the western area of Illinois I live in, SIUE and UIS are kicking butt on attracting students from the western illinois region, and it's all about PERCEPTION.
wiu712

From tonight's KHQA-TV-7 News:
"WIU students, community march for MAP grant funding"
http://khqa.com/news/local/wiu-students ... nt-funding

From tonight's WGEM News:
"WIU rallies urge lawmakers to fund MAP grants"
http://www.wgem.com/story/31238306/2016 ... map-grants
wiu712

From the "Western Courier":
Western marches for MAP funds
http://westerncourier.com/34704/news/we ... map-funds/
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:From the "Western Courier":
Western marches for MAP funds
http://westerncourier.com/34704/news/we ... map-funds/
Send postcards to Springfield? Good God that is lame. Seriously, they need to be in Springfield today.

http://www.dailyeasternnews.com/2016/02 ... ringfield/
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherface

Eastern is taking this very seriously, and are very well organized- good for them. They aren't waiting around hoping for the best, while letting others speak for them.Yes, it sounds like Springfield is the place for schools to show themselves today.