10/4 #1 NDSU at WIU

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Ok folks, lets get back to discussing this week's game.

Now, outside of Wisconsin, this is probably the toughest game we'll play all year. That being said, we actually performed pretty well in the first half against Wisconsin (and most of our opponents). We come out strong, but then fade in the second half. To win against the Bison, we need to play like we did against Wisconsin or Northwestern the first half, but for the entire game.

I think there are two things we have going for us this game:
  1. We have a pretty strong run defense. We held Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon (outside of our game, average of 191 ypg and 2.6 TDs per game) to 38 yards and 0 TDs, and we've done well against the run (at least in the middle of the field) all season. NDSU is primarily a running team, preferring to get a few scores ahead and grinding out long drives of short runs to eat up the clock. If we continue to have that success against the run, NDSU could be forced to be more one-dimensional on their offense.
  2. It's Homecoming...should be great weather and the largest and loudest crowd of the season. We obviously can't match the volume of the Fargodome, but we might still be able to make things a little difficult for them to hear (especially since the visiting team sideline is directly in front of the band and the student section).
Still, it's going to be an intensely difficult game to win. Not going to make a prediction on this one, I'm just going to show up (I'll be in the Alumni Band, so if you're there, look for me yelling loud and playing louder) and do what little I can to help the Leathernecks shock the FCS world.

Also, just wanted to mention that the trees are just starting to turn, so with the colder weather coming in Friday and Saturday, the campus should be beautiful and game atmosphere should be excellent.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

I don't think we saw Melvin Gordon as trailing back in Triple "I" either. Not sure if they will need this against us but these guys play smashmouth football when push comes to shove. I hope we do startle the world on Saturday but even if we don't, I hope we learn a thing or two by playing them.

Embrace the pace of the race.
Lakesbison

Hey all. Pretty quiet huh.

NDSU is 12-1 off bye weeks last 10 years. I expect the hurry up offense of wiu to annoy NDSU defense, but really shouldn't hurt. If NDSU offense opens it up a little bit then watch out!!

How's you QB play been?
rocki

Lakesbison wrote:Hey all. Pretty quiet huh.

NDSU is 12-1 off bye weeks last 10 years. I expect the hurry up offense of wiu to annoy NDSU defense, but really shouldn't hurt. If NDSU offense opens it up a little bit then watch out!!

How's you QB play been?
Been reading the SIU thread, have you? :lol:
letsgonecks

I just had a tall glass of WIU Koolaid and I'm going WIU 24 - NDSU 14. Rebound game for Norvell, Ricketts and Harley shut it down up front and we've turned around the season along with the future of the program!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't put money down on this, but have a great feeling about it being homecoming and NDSU has to lose eventually.....don't they????
sealhall74

All the stuff going on this week had me thinking of NY Yankees who always seemed to thrive on owner/coach/player/clubhouse turmoil. Sometimes you have to heat up just to prove to others that you do really care.
WIU0812

I agree that it is time to move on from last weeks game. We are all dwelling on it and thinking that we are some how now worse than last year. This is not true, the fact of the matter is that I would rather play the MAC or Sunbelt this year than most of the MVFC. This is by far the toughest this league has been in a long time if not ever. They broke the record for most non-conference wins by shattering it to 20-1. It makes you wonder if it is not time to think about splitting the league in to a east of Mississippi and west of Mississippi and add few more teams to make things a little bit more even. It is becoming entirely to tough for these high ranked teams to even make playoffs because they are beating themselves. Any other conference I would send WIU to playoffs.
sealhall74

Just wondering, suppose we do manage to pull off this miracle upset on Saturday. Will we know how to handle the situation? If you are in doubt, maybe this will help. But leave the goal posts alone, folks. We don't need anything else to fix up. :lol:

[youtube][/youtube]
Play-To-Win

I think this is a big game for Rollins whom is averaging 8.5 tackles a game and 5.6 solos Davis and McDaniel will play huge too they won't get chunks of yards they'll use TE to try to scheme us
Last edited by Play-To-Win on Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Play-To-Win

Play-To-Win wrote:I think this is a big game for Rollins whom is averaging 8.5 tackles a game and 5.6 solos Davis, and McDaniel play huge too they won't get chunks of yards they'll use TE to try to scheme us
. it's going to be to the secondary to slow them down