GDT @ Akron

WIU0812

Here's the fact everyone got excited because WIU beat a DIII school by a decent amount and we wanted to forget that we are gonna have trouble at DI schools. Most transfers are not meant to be starters, never should half a DI team be community college transfers.
wiu2013

I am a long time reader, but never joined the site until now. I just wanted to make a point regarding the statement about junior college transfers. You must keep in mind the hole that Coach Wright started in due to previous players being dismissed or transferring. Also keep in mind how many players had committed to Western in April when Coach Wright took the job. Any player really worthy of starting had already committed to a university months earlier. So, in April/May when Western began looking to fill their roster the pick of the litter is slim. Rome was not built in a day, and neither will this team. Luckily, recruiting for next year and future years is already taking place.
WIU0812

I completely agree was just saying it is kinda what I expected though had high hopes
wiu2013

I think we all had higher hopes, but the realization is same players, same lack of talent. Hopefully we can recruit a big and some decent talent early and things will turn around quickly.
wiu712

Akron wins 73-49. Akron led 39-18 at the half.

Akron is now 6-2 (4-0 at home).

Western shot 17 for 48 (35.4%). Western was 11 for 20 on free throws (55%).

Attendance at Akron was 2,523.
Necks2003

While not the result I think anyone in the forum was looking for, at least this gives the new guys some experience against some good quality teams and players. Hopefully this new offense starts to click and things can start turning around before conference games start up. I like the new guys, I think they just need some time and success together to get things rolling. We may be a bit under size, but this team has more pure shooters than we have had in the past. (I still miss CC3 though!)

Some defense never hurt either.
JoeWx21

I said it once and I'll keep saying it, if you don't use your bigs to get the offense moving you will struggle. 35% shooting, 4-15 from the 3 point line, Akron gets 9 blocks and 20 assist compare to WIU getting 0 blocks and 8 assists.

It's going to be a long season if Billy and the team are ok taking outside making it easy on the defense.
Rocky Swishterson

I'm amazed that so many on this forum were optimistic going into the season. I somewhat admire that, but I'm sorry, until Western actually recruits some bigs who are viable scorers, this will always be the story. And free throwing continues to absolutely suck. I don't care what quality of DI player you are, you HAVE GOT TO BE BETTER THAN 11 for 20 on free throws (55%). Them's intramural numbers fellas.
cubsflag

wiu is ranked 316 in shooting %--and i didnt even know there were that many d-1 teams.worst shooting team i have seen in a long time.
WIU0812

Ya, I mean it is just a higher level and tough to compete when you are having to use some many filler players as starters. Need a strong recruiting year. It would be very sad to see Covington who is arguably the best player to come to WIU go all four years and not make it to playoffs. I could see it happening though if they can not impress recruits which is already tough to do with a run down arena with no knew technology yet placed in western hall. Hopefully the Video boards get up soon so when visits happen they have at least some kind of new attraction. Would be nice to see them get one of those video boards that sit on the court where the stats guys and refs sit. Those are always a great addition. You could even get a ribbon board for bottom of the score board one of the circle ones that goes all the way around to display stats and different words.