Game day at UIC

wiu2008

Beau and Seal,

Would you guys then agree that if those two teams are 4-5 summitt league caliber teams this year that come conference time this Leatherneck team should be more of a top 5 team than the 7/8 the polsters predicted them at??

I really like newcomers Fuller and Chapman.

Still wish Remy would be playing more and I will say it every game until he plays closer to 20 minutes.
cubsflag

tough game for a young team.you wont find any team in the summit faster than uic.plus facing that full court presser in only secound game of year is also rough.wiu has a lot of competition going on which should help in the long run.i think they will do just fine in the summit.
sealhall74

wiu2008 wrote:Beau and Seal,

Would you guys then agree that if those two teams are 4-5 summitt league caliber teams this year that come conference time this Leatherneck team should be more of a top 5 team than the 7/8 the polsters predicted them at??

I really like newcomers Fuller and Chapman.

Still wish Remy would be playing more and I will say it every game until he plays closer to 20 minutes.
I think one and/or the other of USD and WIU will surprise some people this year. Both programs have a new coach who is bringing in a new mentality. USD played Stanford tough for a good part of their game. WIU showed it can scrap and compete against a team much more physical on the inside and one much quicker on the perimeter. Fuller does look very solid - played a little out of control at times last night but he will adapt to the faster pace of DI ball. I have not seen enough of Chapman to get a feel but we need some semblance of an inside scoring presence to be effective. So far, we are not getting killed on the boards from a statistical point of view but the guys have to work very hard to get it done. You kind of like rebounding to be simply a matter of fundamentals and positioning like someone above said. As for Remy, here is what I would do: extract the best of him, stir in the best of Tate and come out of the oven with the best 6'8" guy the Summit League has ever seen.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

Big issue with our team all season will be the "Bigs". Our tallest player is listed at 6'9", but as noted about the team picture something is fishy about that height as everyone appeared to be shorter than Tate who is 6'8". Just no inside the paint presence. I was really hoping Tyson Reynolds would be a star, but apparently he has not lived up to coaches hopes. Chapman has been decently solid, but can not have one player who is a center and may not even be a true center. Would of been nice to get that guy from West Texas we recruited who was like 6'10" 230. Let's see how this next game plays out as their biggest starter appears to be 6'8" as well and we will be a little better matched in this one as they are obviously a guard reliant team. I give the team 10 games to melt together and if there isn't much promise by then we better be ready for what may be a rough conference schedule.
beauspencer

I absolutely think WIU will be a top five Summit League team IF this team continues to get better and builds chemistry.

You're not going to see Remy get a lot of minutes. His body just isn't capable of the grind. He has sat significant time due to injuries every season at WIU. I think it's a very good move to limit his PT. A little bit of Remy right now is a lot better than no Remy when it counts.
WIU0812

Here is a good article for our big guys about not being to prideful to shoot underhand at the free throw line. Apparently this is a great way to improve a taller players free throw percentage.

http://yahoo.thepostgame.com/blog/eye-p ... dre-jordan
sealhall74

WIU0812 wrote:Here is a good article for our big guys about not being to prideful to shoot underhand at the free throw line. Apparently this is a great way to improve a taller players free throw percentage.

http://yahoo.thepostgame.com/blog/eye-p ... dre-jordan
Great article. There is no doubt in my mind that underhand is the most accurate way to shoot a free throw. Motion is so easy and fluid. If it ever catches on, I want to be the guy with the copyright on the Hypnotic training video. About 30 years ago, I started bowling and struggled with about a 160 average. I bought the cybervision Marshall Holman training tape, watched it beginning to end (about 20 minutes) three times before my next bowling night out. As I recall, I added about 40 pins to my highest-ever three game series. I used the one featuring righty Marshall Holman but here is Johnny Petraglia for all of you lefties out there. The sound of a basketball swishing through the net would be just as hypnotic as the bowling ball smacking the pins. Great music background adds a lot to it - but you have to be careful you don't fall asleep it is so soothing.

[youtube][/youtube]
Rocky Swishterson

We have no big men of any substance. Which is what I feared when I saw the recruiting class. Our new guys may range from OK to good, but none are big.
If we are over .500 this year I will be surprised. I hope I am.
sealhall74

You don't have to be exceptionally big if you are above average athletic. This year, for the guys that returned, I am having a dickens of a time figuring out who is most deserving of the "Donny Doubles Award" (named after Don McAvoy III, JC transfer who played about four inches taller his senior year over his junior year simply because he did the work in the weight room). Even looking to next year, we lose only two off this roster. The time is now to hit the weights, in season or not.
Last edited by sealhall74 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
WIU0812

Rocky Swishterson wrote:We have no big men of any substance. Which is what I feared when I saw the recruiting class. Our new guys may range from OK to good, but none are big.
If we are over .500 this year I will be surprised. I hope I am.
I have to sadly agree, the lack of size will cause more fouls which in turn brings more free throws for opposing teams as we have already seen. There are teams who have tried the small and quick and it works somewhat, but will not win you championships. Need to be balanced down low and on the outside and as of right now we are loaded on the outside and have literally no one to really handle the paint.