Head Coaching Search

leatherneckcountry

A D3 coach can be successful just look at Lance Leipold but it has to be the right one and not someone with just a few years experience. I think our best hope is probably a fcs coordinator or a possible lower level fbs coordinator who wants there own program 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote:A D3 coach can be successful just look at Lance Leipold but it has to be the right one and not someone with just a few years experience. I think our best hope is probably a fcs coordinator or a possible lower level fbs coordinator who wants there own program 
All you have to do is look across the state. EIU was in nearly the same situation we were in. They hired an alumni of the program who has been somewhat successful at the D3 level. First year went 2-9, second year, 7-3 and the “first team out” of the playoffs.

I’ve been hearing a bit about names that are applying and I’m pretty happy so far. Sorry, I can’t say specifics at this point.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
vatusay

Scott, just make a burner account and spill the beans. 
#ALLIN #YOLO
WIU2DC

vatusay wrote:Scott, just make a burner account and spill the beans. 
Yeah, leading username “notscottWIU” Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
meganeck

i don't know much about him, I know they have been up and down while he has been there and they made the playoffs this year. Anyway what about the Drake coach, I think he has a Defensive background. I'm not sure what he is getting paid now, but I'm assuming WIU would be a step up from Drake in football. I'm not advocating for him to be hired just throwing a name out there.
rocki

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:07 am
leatherneckcountry wrote:A D3 coach can be successful just look at Lance Leipold but it has to be the right one and not someone with just a few years experience. I think our best hope is probably a fcs coordinator or a possible lower level fbs coordinator who wants there own program 
All you have to do is look across the state. EIU was in nearly the same situation we were in. They hired an alumni of the program who has been somewhat successful at the D3 level. First year went 2-9, second year, 7-3 and the “first team out” of the playoffs.

I’ve been hearing a bit about names that are applying and I’m pretty happy so far. Sorry, I can’t say specifics at this point.

How much interest is there? Not asking for names, just an idea of how many applicants you think there will be.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote:

How much interest is there? Not asking for names, just an idea of how many applicants you think there will be.
Quite a few….dozens. The question is how good the candidates are. If they were all grad assistants from d3 schools, then that wouldn’t be very helpful. There are definitely more qualified candidates than that who have thrown their names in the ring though.

rocki

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:45 pm
rocki wrote:

Quite a few….dozens. The question is how good the candidates are. If they were all grad assistants from d3 schools, then that wouldn’t be very helpful. There are definitely more qualified candidates than that who have thrown their names in the ring though.

Thanks!!! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!
Rockydog

rocki wrote:

You have said multiple times on previous threads that Hen wasn’t going anywhere until his contract was up.  So you weren’t close enough to know they planned to fire him but now you are close enough to know how many applicants and their backgrounds?  Ummm, OK.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Rockydog wrote:
rocki wrote: How much interest is there? Not asking for names, just an idea of how many applicants you think there will be.

You have said multiple times on previous threads that Hen wasn’t going anywhere until his contract was up.  So you weren’t close enough to know they planned to fire him but now you are close enough to know how many applicants and their backgrounds?  Ummm, OK.

The situation with Coach Hendrickson was an educated guess based on the university’s financial situation and the remaining terms of his contract. I think his firing at this point was a surprise to many due to the financial implications.