Head Coaching Search

bignecks

Rockydog wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:55 pm Colorado has shown us that if you bring in a big name, create excitement, and win a few games,  everything else will come.  Now, I realize we can’t hire Deion Sanders, but we’ve seen the model work.  So no pressure, but we HAVE to hire the right guy this time.

Colorado Athletic Director Rick George has said in multiple interviews that they didn’t have the money to pay Deion’s salary, but they knew it would come:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 85907007/#

Ew. The last thing I'd want to do is risk that much on one person. Especially after seeing what happened at Colorado. Players collecting parking tickets for fun, only winning four games while doing it. I'd rather have a person who does things the right way and wants to stay here. 
Rockydog

bignecks wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:25 pm
Rockydog wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:55 pm Colorado has shown us that if you bring in a big name, create excitement, and win a few games,  everything else will come.  Now, I realize we can’t hire Deion Sanders, but we’ve seen the model work.  So no pressure, but we HAVE to hire the right guy this time.

Colorado Athletic Director Rick George has said in multiple interviews that they didn’t have the money to pay Deion’s salary, but they knew it would come:

Ew. The last thing I'd want to do is risk that much on one person. Especially after seeing what happened at Colorado. Players collecting parking tickets for fun, only winning four games while doing it. I'd rather have a person who does things the right way and wants to stay here. 

And that mindset is likely exactly how WIU got here.  

Colorado football program has said that “the Deion affect” has brought in an estimated $280 mil in this first season alone, and the ESPN Saturday night broadcasts of one of their games was the most watched ever in history with 8.23 mil viewers.  

But, right.  Ew.  Ummm, OK.

bignecks

Rockydog wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:26 pm

Colorado football program has said that “the Deion affect” has brought in an estimated $280 mil in this first season alone, and the ESPN Saturday night broadcasts of one of their games was the most watched ever in history with 8.23 mil viewers.  

I would literally rather be a struggling FCS program than deal with the annoyance of an FCS level Deion. 

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Rockydog wrote:

The problem is, there are VERY few people that could pull that off. Deion is a “brand” himself. Probably the closest I’ve seen to Deion in the FCS is Eddie George at our future conference-mate Tennessee State. TSU was able to get Notre Dame to play a FCS team for the first time ever this year, and once the new Titans stadium is built, they will be playing all of their home games there…I think for free (part of the deal with public funding of the stadium).

Who would be that kind of person…well-known name, possibly NFL experience, very early in coaching career? Gronk?…has the name…not sure he’s got the skills to be a HC though. Snoop Dog doesn’t have playing experience and hasn’t shown that he’s interested in coaching past the HS level. Or someone who was at the top level but has been out of coaching for a couple of years…anyone know how to get a hold of Lovie Smith?

All of those names seem pretty unlikely to be interested in a FCS HC job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Rockydog

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:54 am
Rockydog wrote:

The problem is, there are VERY few people that could pull that off. Deion is a “brand” himself. Probably the closest I’ve seen to Deion in the FCS is Eddie George at our future conference-mate Tennessee State. TSU was able to get Notre Dame to play a FCS team for the first time ever this year, and once the new Titans stadium is built, they will be playing all of their home games there…I think for free (part of the deal with public funding of the stadium).

Who would be that kind of person…well-known name, possibly NFL experience, very early in coaching career? Gronk?…has the name…not sure he’s got the skills to be a HC though. Snoop Dog doesn’t have playing experience and hasn’t shown that he’s interested in coaching past the HS level. Or someone who was at the top level but has been out of coaching for a couple of years…anyone know how to get a hold of Lovie Smith?

All of those names seem pretty unlikely to be interested in a FCS HC job.

You are right, very few have Deion brand, but let’s be honest we are no Colorado either.  I said we need to hire a big name that create excitement, not that we need to hire a Deion Sanders.  In my opinion even Tony Sorrentino could do that.  He has NFL experience and anyone who follows football would know who he is.  It’s not just the hire itself, it’s also the marketing/advertisement that WIU puts behind it.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Rockydog wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:08 amYou are right, very few have Deion brand, but let’s be honest we are no Colorado either.  I said we need to hire a big name that create excitement, not that we need to hire a Deion Sanders.  In my opinion even Tony Sorrentino could do that.  He has NFL experience and anyone who follows football would know who he is.  It’s not just the hire itself, it’s also the marketing/advertisement that WIU puts behind it.

That's fair. It sounds like Sorrentino is interested, but that's also part of why I had guys like Frisman Jackson and Don Beebe on my "all-leatherneck coaching staff" list (viewtopic.php?p=40619#p40619). Both are fairly well-known names in NFL circles. Beebe more for his playing career, but any of those guys would have fairly "high-level" contacts in the coaching world which could help. A guy who has spent a decent amount of time either playing or coaching in the NFL would likely be a big enough name to bring in some kids.
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:35 am
Rockydog wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:08 amYou are right, very few have Deion brand, but let’s be honest we are no Colorado either.  I said we need to hire a big name that create excitement, not that we need to hire a Deion Sanders.  In my opinion even Tony Sorrentino could do that.  He has NFL experience and anyone who follows football would know who he is.  It’s not just the hire itself, it’s also the marketing/advertisement that WIU puts behind it.

That's fair. It sounds like Sorrentino is interested, but that's also part of why I had guys like Frisman Jackson and Don Beebe on my "all-leatherneck coaching staff" list (viewtopic.php?p=40619#p40619). Both are fairly well-known names in NFL circles. Beebe more for his playing career, but any of those guys would have fairly "high-level" contacts in the coaching world which could help. A guy who has spent a decent amount of time either playing or coaching in the NFL would likely be a big enough name to bring in some kids.

I know Jackson hasn’t shown interest in the past 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:35 am

I know Jackson hasn’t shown interest in the past 
Yeah, I’m sure he’s had opportunities for more prominent positions, but seems happy with being “just” a position coach at the highest level. Can’t say I blame him…much less visibility than a HC position somewhere…probably nice to just focus on what you are good at and not bother with all the other stuff that comes with being a HC.

bignecks

Am I realistically able to wish for Dana Holgersen? From about an hour away in Mt Pleasant IA. A pretty brilliant offensive mind.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

bignecks wrote:Am I realistically able to wish for Dana Holgersen? From about an hour away in Mt Pleasant IA. A pretty brilliant offensive mind.
You can absolutely wish for him to be interested. I’d say it’s theoretically possible if he wants to jump right back into the head coaching role somewhere. He might be looking more at the G5-level, but who knows.