Tailgating

PantherPower

Hey guys, I'm coming down for the UNI game with a squad to tailgate. Can anybody inform me on how that works? Passes needed, how early it starts, campers for staying the night?
leatherneckcountry

usually starts 3 hrs prior there is just one area were you need a pass but outside of that no passes needed
wiu712

Tailgating no longer requires a permit or application.
Parking is available on a first come, first serve basis in Q-Lot.
Tailgating starts 5 hours prior to kickoff, and continues until 30 minutes after the game.

This webpage from Western Athletics details the 2016 Tailgating Policies:
http://www.goleathernecks.com/sports/20 ... 42133.aspx
Last edited by wiu712 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I believe that campers have been allowed in Q-lot (outside of the tailgate area) overnight the night before the game (I seem to remember some Bison fans doing that last time they came down here), but I'd contact the athletics department to get confirmation on that prior to finalizing your plans.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

What's happening in the "Pit" these days Mr. Lawson? Also are there plans for any tailgating shows this year? I know there have been acts scheduled before. Did ".38 Special" perform in Q lot last year?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:What's happening in the "Pit" these days Mr. Lawson? Also are there plans for any tailgating shows this year? I know there have been acts scheduled before. Did ".38 Special" perform in Q lot last year?
I'm not really sure what happens over at The Pit actually...I think some people park over there, but since it's only for Leatherneck Club members, it's not really as "rowdy" as it once was. Most of the actual tailgating happens over in Q-Lot now.

As for shows, I haven't heard if we're having anyone this year. The last three years were .38 Special, Rick Springfield, and then last year was Dennis DeYoung and the Music of Styx. They've done this on Family Day/Family Weekend each year (so they bring in acts that would appeal to the parents of current students...people who were growing up in the '80s mostly). Here's the schedule for this year's Family Day (http://www.wiu.edu/student_services/uni ... amily_day/) but I don't see anything posted about music yet. Could be that it's a bit beyond the budget this year to bring in a big act, although there's a good chance they might have a local band at a tailgate or two (they did that in addition to the "big acts").
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu51

There will be no big name live entertainment. Maybe a cheap cover band if someone will pay for it.