Cameron Birse Transferred to Murray State

huskie

Just saw on Cameron Birse's Twitter page that he has transferred to Murray State to play football. I looked on their roster page and did not see him listed. So he transfers from Arkansas State to WIU and does not have to sit. Now that he has left WIU to transfer to Murray State, will he have to sit a year or can he play immediately if he has WIU's permission?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

huskie wrote:Just saw on Cameron Birse's Twitter page that he has transferred to Murray State to play football. I looked on their roster page and did not see him listed. So he transfers from Arkansas State to WIU and does not have to sit. Now that he has left WIU to transfer to Murray State, will he have to sit a year or can he play immediately if he has WIU's permission?
I don't know for sure, but I think he does have to sit out. If he'd come to Western and just participated in the "unofficial" practices and workout sessions, then probably not, but he participated in the official practice sessions earlier this month, he enrolled in school, was listed on the official roster, etc. He didn't end up playing for us, but I think it was enough to count, so he'll probably have to sit out, unless he can get some waiver from the NCAA. Although, unless the offensive scheme at Murray State is very similar to what it is here, he probably would have a hard time just jumping right in now that school has started and games are only a week or so away.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Leatherneck57

ST_Lawson wrote:
huskie wrote:Just saw on Cameron Birse's Twitter page that he has transferred to Murray State to play football. I looked on their roster page and did not see him listed. So he transfers from Arkansas State to WIU and does not have to sit. Now that he has left WIU to transfer to Murray State, will he have to sit a year or can he play immediately if he has WIU's permission?
I don't know for sure, but I think he does have to sit out. If he'd come to Western and just participated in the "unofficial" practices and workout sessions, then probably not, but he participated in the official practice sessions earlier this month, he enrolled in school, was listed on the official roster, etc. He didn't end up playing for us, but I think it was enough to count, so he'll probably have to sit out, unless he can get some waiver from the NCAA. Although, unless the offensive scheme at Murray State is very similar to what it is here, he probably would have a hard time just jumping right in now that school has started and games are only a week or so away.
I'm sure there is a grace a period of some sort and as long as Western released him (which they did) I'm sure he can play this year.

I can tell you this much...this kid has walked out on two programs now and I'm not sure I would want him leading my team when it's crunch time!

Evidently he didn't do his homework on our current QB situation before he came to WIU!

I lived in Jonesboro, AR (home of Arkansas State) for 12 years before I moved to the Chicago area...anyway I was down there in July for a golf outing for ASU that I play in every year and I spoke to their Head Football Coach and told him we just landed Cameron Birse...he shrugged his shoulders and said he's a good kid but his mom thinks he's better than he really is. So I don't think it's a big loss really!

Just my two cents worth...

LN57
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Leatherneck57 wrote:I'm sure there is a grace a period of some sort and as long as Western released him (which they did) I'm sure he can play this year.
Actually, yea, I think you're right. I remember hearing something about a stipulation where if the previous school releases them from their commitment, then they can go without sitting a year.

Like you said though, not a huge loss. We've got our QB for the next 3 years (McGuire) as well as a very qualified backup for this year (Norvell) and a couple of talented young guys to compete for the spot over the next few years (Sampson and Cervantes). Add in whoever else we're able to pick up in the meantime and we're more than "solid" at the QB position.
meganeck

You guys might be right and I'm wrong but if he enrolled in school, etc. I'm pretty sure he will have to sit out.
Leatherneck57

meganeck wrote:You guys might be right and I'm wrong but if he enrolled in school, etc. I'm pretty sure he will have to sit out.

I will find out tomorrow when I'm at practice but he left the team before school started. Not sure if that has any value or not...
meganeck

yeah maybe if he was enrolled but school hadn't started might make difference.
Leatherneck57

I checked with just about everybody at practice tonight and no one seemed to know. The only thing I heard about Birse was the fact he was only in town a couple of weeks in the summer and came in at 235 and out of shape for camp. Doesn't seem to be concerning to anyone that he is gone.
BobLovely

Sounds like he "raced" off to Murray State and the chow line...

Bob
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

BobLovely wrote:Sounds like he "raced" off to Murray State and the chow line...

Bob