2016 Leatherneck Football Preview - Season Predictions

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

yokedneck wrote:I think this is how the two deep looks for the offensive line coming into week one. I will disagree with Scott slightly here as I expect to see us try and establish the run and then pass off that. Of course that is predicated on being able to run effectively.
Good to hear. Despite me being so close in proximity to the practices, I don't really get to go out and see or hear what's going on all that much, so my predictions are really based on just what I hear from people and what my educated guesses are based on last season and the talent/production of the returning players.

It really sounds like our offense is going to be firing on all cylinders this season, which I love to see.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Podcast interview with Voice Sports writer Scott Holland talking about Leatherneck Football

[youtube][/youtube]
rocki

Not having watched any of the practices, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the RBs. Are we looking at guys who are more the Nikko ground and pound, or more a JC Baker slippery and elusive, or a combo of both? And which backs seem to be more which style? What about the kid from Tennessee - red-shirting him or will he be called on?

Whatever, our season starts Thursday, and I'm pumped!!!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote:Not having watched any of the practices, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the RBs. Are we looking at guys who are more the Nikko ground and pound, or more a JC Baker slippery and elusive, or a combo of both? And which backs seem to be more which style? What about the kid from Tennessee - red-shirting him or will he be called on?

Whatever, our season starts Thursday, and I'm pumped!!!
Good reading for all your RB-related info needs: http://www.leathernecknation.net/forum/ ... f=7&t=1004

Short answer is, a bit of both, especially now that Turk has been moved to FB...we've got something resembling a Nikko Watson-style player. He's not quite as heavy (228 vs Watson's 250) but he's two inches taller (6'2" vs Watson's 6'0")...so a bit less of a "bowling ball", but still a big powerful RB.
We've got a smaller more "shifty/quick" guy in Steve McShane (5'8", 185 lbs) who showed flashes of some pretty good runs last year.

Then we've got a ton of depth in between with guys like transfer Jamie Gilmore, the Devon's (Sanders and Moore), and redshirt freshmen Max Norris (also a very "sturdy" back...5'10" and 236 lbs) and Brody Crossin.

Not sure if will need Vic Johnson this year, but from what I've heard, he's ready to go if we need him.
rocki

Thanks Scott! While I thoroughly enjoyed watching Nikko "bull" his way through the line, I also appreciated the style JC had - seems lots of times I'd think he was down and he came squirting out of the crowd. Glad to hear we've got flexibility in the run game. Makes it just that much more dangerous.

Getting anxious here, :lol: