2016 - Week 1 in the MVFC

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote:It seems like uni beats Iowa state every time they play.
It's not every time, but since the I-A/I-AA split (so, since they've been in different divisions) and ISU is a Big 12 team, so "should be" in the top echelon of FBS teams...UNI is 5-16 against Iowa State, which means that on average, they beat them almost 1/4 of the time over that timeframe. Also, in the last 10 years, UNI has a 3-4 record against ISU and two of those ISU wins were by 1 point and the largest margin of victory is 27 points. You also need to consider that all of those games were played at ISU, so UNI never has "home field advantage".

So, considering all of that, I'd say that UNI vs ISU is probably the closest that a "rivalry" between an FCS and FBS team skews towards the FCS team of any of them.

Also, here's a bit I read over on AnyGivenSaturday.com:
Best part? The contract UNI plays under is a 350k pay our OR 20% of gate revenue.

This is always the highest, non Iowa game, attendance of ISU's season. UNI had 7 of the top 10 attended games before Jack Trice expanded and it now has 2 of the top 10 in the expanded stadium.

What's that mean? ISU charges crazy money for a ticket. I think this year was 65 or 70 bucks. Full sell out. So UNI walks out with nearly 650k and the win

Oh, even better? UNI has them suckered into that same deal in something like all but 1 or 2 years through 2026
So, UNI gets a pretty huge payday for a FBS game and wins nearly half of them. If they lose, it's not that huge of a deal in terms of their playoff hopes, since a close loss to an FBS isn't really going to count against you, but if they win, that's a HUGE boost for them.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Other interesting games/scores this weekend (some have been previously mentioned):

4 FCS teams "upset" FBS teams (3 of which were P5 schools)...all of which were in-state games:
Northern Iowa beats Iowa State, 25-20
Eastern Washington beats Washington State, 45-42
Richmond beats Virginia, 37-20
Albany beats Buffalo, 26-22

WIU's opponent next weekend, Northern Arizona, lost to Arizona State, 44-13
WIU's opponent two weeks later, Northern Illinois, lost to Wyoming 40-34 in 3 OTs

Also of "local" interest:
Drake loses to DII Quincy, 38-35
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000