WIU vs Northern Arizona (9/10/2016)

Quig

Fellas, great site you got goin here. Other than the bigsky blog which is crickets most of the time...NAU has a couple guys on AGS, egriz, and Championship subdivision-otherwise good work on leatherneck nation.!!

I guess for a quick summery of last week, I just sent this txt to my pops. "As for the Lumberjacks, ha.. Don't let that score fool you, NAU was looking damn good! They could have as easily been ahead most of the game going into that 4th quarter. Was happy with the defensive secondary too, was supposed to be weak spot but they looked good.
Just tough when you got no subs for the starting unit to match the ASU backups/depth. From watching that game I think our starting offense was a better unit, and starting defense was pretty close".

There are a few ??? in that, I know. Yet as for this week--I'm thinking NAU pulls away early at WIU with passing game --it's a 2 score game at half with Az Jacks up early. Second half Corbin Jountti rages, opening things for man hands and #3.
Jacks 43-30

Enjoy the game, humidity didn't help Stephen F. Austin (; last year

Hope all our boys stay safe
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

NAUDave wrote:I guess I'll be posting here now. Ha. Just wanted to thank ST for posting coach's teleconference as I totally forgot about it. I'll use that in my newscasts tomorrow. I also wanted to invite you to listen to our coaches show/segment tomorrow (Thursday) morning at 8:35 a.m. AZ time, to be honest I'm not sure the time difference. Head coach Jerome Souers will be with me in studio to go over last week and this week's game. He's a great guy with great insight and we always have a good time. You can listen online at kafflegends.com and hit the listen live button. It's our classic country station too for those who like classic country music. If you miss it, I'll come on tomorrow and post the link to our interview.
I love reading stuff from great fans, which I can tell you all are. I am thrilled we have you coming in next year. We haven't had a quality FCS non conference opponent here in some time, so this will be fun. Is it Saturday yet?

Dave
Hey everyone, so here's what I did to "fix" things. I merged the main topic that I posted with the one that was started earlier asking about the game broadcast, so all posts from both topics are now all together here. The one downside is that I can't seem to figure out how to get my specific post (you know...the novel) to float back up to the top of the thread. So if you want to reference that, you'll have to scroll down a bit once you get into the topic. But everything is all together in one thread now, so that's helpful. I'll look and see if there's a way to make my original post at the top sometime tomorrow (it's late and my brain no worky so good).

To answer your question Dave, we're Central time zone, which is generally 1 hour later than you guys in Mountain time, although we still observe daylight saving time (for some crazy reason) and you guys don't. What that means is that during most of the Spring, Summer, and most of the Fall, we're actually 2 hours ahead of you (for example...kickoff on Saturday is at 3 PM our time, but it's 1 PM your time). In November, when we "fall back", we'll only be 1 hour ahead of you (so, for example, if we end up meeting up with you guys in the playoffs in December and the game was here in IL and kickoff was at 3 PM our time, it'd be at 2 PM your time). Confusing enough? But back to the specific instance you were referencing, your coaches show/segment is at 8:35 AM Thursday morning (your time), which means it should be 10:35 AM Thursday morning here in IL. I'll try to listen in, but a link would be much appreciated once the recording is available online for anyone who can't listen live.

Let me know if you have any other questions and if I get a chance to head out there next year for the return game, I'll have to make a point to stop by and say hi if you're not busy.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Quig wrote:Fellas, great site you got goin here. Other than the bigsky blog which is crickets most of the time...NAU has a couple guys on AGS, egriz, and Championship subdivision-otherwise good work on leatherneck nation.!!

There are a few ??? in that, I know. Yet as for this week--I'm thinking NAU pulls away early at WIU with passing game --it's a 2 score game at half with Az Jacks up early. Second half Corbin Jountti rages, opening things for man hands and #3.
Jacks 43-30

Enjoy the game, humidity didn't help Stephen F. Austin (; last year

Hope all our boys stay safe
Hi Quig, thanks for stopping by. I frequent AGS quite a bit myself during the season, and occasionally stop by CS.

I'm hoping for a different result than what you're prediction, but absolutely on that last point there. Hope your team, staff, and any fans making the trip have safe travels here and back home.

Just did a quick comparison of the weather for your game at SFA last year and it looks like it was pretty comparable to the last couple of days we've had here...we had a little bit cooler weather today than that day in Texaas (high of 90 vs 96 in TX) but a bit higher humidity (85% average vs 77% average in TX). Either way though, it's going to cool off quite a bit by Saturday and should be beautiful (which reminds me, I need to go update my predicted gametime weather conditions in my earlier post ;) ).
sealhall74

Regarding thread merge, ST, I am sure that you would agree with me on this one. After 30 years in the IT business, the biggest lesson I learned on the job was:

Having two concurrent variations of one thing will kill you.

BTW, it applies to college football QBs as well. :lol:

I would bet my last bottom dollar you can fix the problem by changing the post date in the post you want to be at the top. ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Regarding thread merge, ST, I am sure that you would agree with me on this one. After 30 years in the IT business, the biggest lesson I learned on the job was:

Having two concurrent variations of one thing will kill you.

BTW, it applies to college football QBs as well. :lol:

I would bet my last bottom dollar you can fix the problem by changing the post date in the post you want to be at the top. ;)
You are correct sir. There's not really a way to change the post date in the phpbb (forum software that runs this site), but you can get into the mysql and change it manually. I wasn't really mentally ready to be mucking about in the backend mysql late at night when I was tired and could mess the whole site up.

I wonder if I'm spending too much time with the site...last night I had a dream about stuff being posted here :lol:

EDIT - Got the datetime edited for my original post, so it should now show up as the first post in the thread. Everything else should be in the "as posted" order.
NAUDave

ST:

If you come out here a couple of days earlier, or a day, let's work something out for you to come in and talk about the game. That would be fantastic. We do have the Grand Canyon about an hour drive away. It tends to be a big tourist spot. ;) Plus, there's a lot to see and do from an outdoors standpoint around here, Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, Sunset Crater, etc. so you and fans won't be bored I don't think. Our local restaurant and bar scene is pretty good. I think we have six breweries in town now, all offer something different. Downtown isn't close to the Skydome really, so an Uber or taxi is a pretty good idea. NAU does host a tailgate party for everyone with a band, vendors and stuff to do for the kids and opposing fans are always welcome. That's next year though. Is it kickoff time yet? :)

I saw the NAU fan's prediction and I'm not that sold we win by that much. Obviously being an NAU guy, I'll take my Jacks, but I'm thinking 31-28 something like that. Should be fun.

Dave
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

NAUDave wrote:ST:

If you come out here a couple of days earlier, or a day, let's work something out for you to come in and talk about the game. That would be fantastic. We do have the Grand Canyon about an hour drive away. It tends to be a big tourist spot. ;) Plus, there's a lot to see and do from an outdoors standpoint around here, Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, Sunset Crater, etc. so you and fans won't be bored I don't think. Our local restaurant and bar scene is pretty good. I think we have six breweries in town now, all offer something different. Downtown isn't close to the Skydome really, so an Uber or taxi is a pretty good idea. NAU does host a tailgate party for everyone with a band, vendors and stuff to do for the kids and opposing fans are always welcome. That's next year though. Is it kickoff time yet? :)
Dave
If the game is on a Saturday, I'll probably try to fly out there on Thursday. I've got an aunt and uncle (who are also big college football fans, their son...my cousin...was in Michigan State's drumline for 4 years and they went to nearly every home game and a lot of the away and bowl games) who just bought a place in Sedona last year, so I'm thinking I'll stay with them and maybe rent a car. If it looks like that'll happen, I'll be sure to let you know so we can work something out.

But as you said...that's next year...it's 2 days, 5 hours and approximately 37 minutes (from me posting this) until kickoff at Hanson Field.
BobLovely

I have studied the data, tendencies, schemes, personnel, coaches, conference strengths and intangibles so here is my prediction:

Western Illinois 35
Northern Arizona 31

I expect a high scoring contest likely decided by a turnover opportunity.

Bob
Western_101

NAU Dave is right,

I love Arizona, Flagstaff is awesome, Grand Canyon, Verde Canyon Railway, Sedona,

I would love to talk my wife into moving to Prescott (pronounced PressKit) great weather, midway between Flagstaff and North Phoenix Metro. High enough altitude to mitigate the scorching hot summers but not so high one cant breath....Flagstaff (just kidding).

I fly out direct from Peoria International Airport ( Yes International, hey I think it's got one C-130 Hercules to Guam or something. ;) ) to Phoenix-Mesa every year to visit the In-laws.

I would love to go to the game next year at NAU, but, early September is a no go.
NAUDave

Thanks for including the proper way to say Prescott. Haha. You can tell people are from out of state when they say that wrong. My guess the game should be around this time of the year next year. I've heard a rumor that it could be the ESPN kickoff game next year, but that's a rumor right now. You guys hearing anything there?

As I promised, here is the interview with NAU head coach Jerome Souers this morning with yours truly. Pretty general stuff, nothing earth shattering. Hope you enjoy.

Here's the link: http://chirb.it/g5eq1M

Chirbit tends to be unstable sometimes, so if you have issues with playing it, it's normal. It's what I have with the budget I have. ;)

Dave