WIU vs Northern Arizona (9/10/2016)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just sitting here all nice and quiet at work, then all of a sudden it sounds like AC/DC is performing in the parking lot right behind our building. I pop open the window and realize that they're testing the speakers down at the football field for Saturday's game.

I still don't understand why they play "Thunderstruck" though when it's been NDSU's "entrance song" for years. Hopefully they won't play it when the Bison come to town...it just pumps up their own fans more than our own.

EDIT - Oh hi video board...
[youtube][/youtube]

(I love my office view ;) )
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

A new tradition will start on Saturday: Leatherneck Walk
Head coach Charlie Fisher and the Leathernecks will walk near the tailgate area (between Q-Lot and the Rec Center) to their locker room inside Western Hall around 12:45 p.m. and then later to the field. Fans are encouraged to line the pathway from the Hanson Field service gate to the locker room for this new 'Leatherneck Walk' tradition.

Also new this year: Debut of the Purple Platoon at Football and Return of the Freshman Run Out
Saturday's football game will feature the debut of the re-branded student fan group 'Purple Platoon' at Hanson Field. Purple Platoon is open to all WIU students and membership is free. They receive specialty seating at sporting events, free t-shirt, free prizes and other giveaways, in addition to pre-game and post-game socials with Leatherneck teams and coaches.

The annual Freshman Run Out will take place prior to the Leathernecks taking the field. All freshmen will gather in the north endzone with 10 minutes left on the clock. They will run out on the field, through the tunnel and clear the field for the players by exiting on the south side of the field. Listen for the PA announcements on when to meet in the north endzone.
sealhall74

Where the hell is the "tunnel"? I thought we got rid of our last tunnel under U Drive. :)

Let's just get the people in their seats by kickoff for a change and then play one hell of football game on the field that would make Rock proud.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:Where the hell is the "tunnel"? I thought we got rid of our last tunnel under U Drive.
That pedestrian tunnel was designed to be a safe way to cross University Drive between Western Hall and the baseball field/tennis courts. But it seemed to be a collecting point for rainwater and leaves.

For the Freshmen Run Out, the "tunnel" is created on Hanson Field by the Marching Leathernecks.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Where the hell is the "tunnel"? I thought we got rid of our last tunnel under U Drive. :)

Let's just get the people in their seats by kickoff for a change and then play one hell of football game on the field that would make Rock proud.
The "tunnel" is just what they call it when the band forms the two lines on the field and the team runs through them. We don't really have a "tunnel"...I've never seen one, anyway, but it's just what it's called.

Maybe for the "Leatherneck Walk" instead of walking through the tailgate area before going into the locker room, maybe they need to leave the locker room before the game, walk out through the tailgate area, round up everyone and herd them over to the stadium (or maybe just have the redshirts do that ;) ). I'd imagine a bunch of large football players would be able to motivate most people to put down their bags games and beers and get their butts into the stadium for kickoff.
JoeWx21

I wish they would update the pregame video. It does not get me pump up for the game. I understand the university wants to keep cost down for situations like this, but has no one ever gone to a game and see what a good video can do for a crowd prior to a game?
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:
sealhall74 wrote:Where the hell is the "tunnel"? I thought we got rid of our last tunnel under U Drive. :)

The "tunnel" is just what they call it when the band forms the two lines on the field and the team runs through them. We don't really have a "tunnel"...I've never seen one, anyway, but it's just what it's called.

Maybe for the "Leatherneck Walk" instead of walking through the tailgate area before going into the locker room, maybe they need to leave the locker room before the game, walk out through the tailgate area, round up everyone and herd them over to the stadium (or maybe just have the redshirts do that ;) ). I'd imagine a bunch of large football players would be able to motivate most people to put down their bags games and beers and get their butts into the stadium for kickoff.
I did some Google research tonight while sitting at the Ruby Tuesday bar. I think that "pipeline" is the proper terminology instead of tunnel. Tunnel implies something underground. Pipeline seems more appropriate at this particular moment but tomorrow is another day who knows where it will lead me. Go Leathernecks!
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:I did some Google research tonight while sitting at the Ruby Tuesday bar. I think that "pipeline" is the proper terminology instead of tunnel. Tunnel implies something underground. Pipeline seems more appropriate at this particular moment but tomorrow is another day who knows where it will lead me. Go Leathernecks!
That's fine, but for as long as I've been involved with Western, the band, the cheerleaders, and the team have always called it "the tunnel". It's just what they're used to calling it.
Western_101

NAU Dave,

Good show, good radio voice, good knowledge. If you weren't interested in homework you wouldn't be here.

I went tohttp://radio-locator.com/

I admire your tenacity in sportscasting, pursuing all avenues.

(typing and spelling is challenging for me....sure judge me, like I'm unique.)
NAUFan

C'mon fellas, Dave gave you a bunch of goodies on the Jacks. Even gave you his take on what you might want to consider in shutting down our O. I'm surprised he didn't tell you about the guys that we're getting off the DL this week.

We've heard nothing but your disdain for conflicting threads, tunnel vs pipeline, and sequencing messages in the thread. It's Friday now, and the gameplan is locked in, give us some things that we as NAU fans might want to look for with WIU...

Road trips are tough but I'm going with 38 - 28 NAU. I think WIU will need to drain the clock. If NAU jumps out to a quick lead it may be tough on the home team.