WIU vs Indiana State (10/8/2016)...HOMECOMING!

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yea...so….um……..that happened. Guys...seriously, I apologize profusely...it’s all my fault. I forgot to put the team logos in my game preview last week. It won’t happen again.

Anyway, IT’S HOMECOMING!!! Time to get your butts back to campus and cheer on the Leathernecks as they take on the Fighting Saplings.

Image VS Image

Date/Time: Saturday, October 8 at 3:00 PM
Weather Forecast (as of 10/4): 68 degrees, very low humidity, clear skies, and minimal wind with 0% chance of rain….should be a beautiful day for Leatherneck Football
TV: Like all MVFC matchups this season, available on ESPN3/WatchESPN.com
Links: ISU’s Record
Indiana State comes into this game at 3-2 overall, 1-1 in the conference. They started the season by beating Butler (41-25) and then traveled to Minnesota to take on the Gophers, where they lost 58-28. They then went down to Southeast Missouri State and won a close one, 27-24. Then they headed back home for two games, a 34-31 win over Illinois State and a 45-24 loss that spoiled the Sycamores’ Homecoming Game.

The History
Western has a 24-15 record over Indiana State dating back to 1967. Western has won the last 3 in a row against ISU and 13 of the last 16 seasons. In the last 20 years, only two of the games in Macomb have been losses (1996 and 2012).

Team Stat Analysis
Indiana State has a fairly decent offense, currently ranked 32nd in the FCS with 414.2 yards per game. Their scoring offense is about the same, 38th in the FCS putting up 30.8 points per game. The Sycamores rely strongly on their passing game, currently 19th in the FCS in passing yards per game but 87th in rushing offense. Defensively they allow 445.6 total yards per game (97th in the FCS) with 183.6 of that on the ground (76th in the FCS) and 262 through the air (97th in the FCS). They allow 36.6 points per game, 102nd in the FCS. Overall, that means that their defense is fairly porous, allowing quite a few passing yards.

Other interesting stats is that ISU is the 8th best team in the FCS at gaining first downs, but the 117th in the FCS in giving up first downs. They’ve lost 6 fumbles this season and have had 4 passes intercepted, so there should be an opportunity to gain some from turnovers for us. ISU is also very low in their time of possession ranking (111th in the FCS).

Click here to view their full rankings list as compared to us.

Key Opposition Players
QB Isaac Harker - averages 287 yards per game, 11 TDs and 3 interceptions through 5 games (so, one more game than anyone else in the conference besides Illinois State). Passing efficiency of 135.74. Total yards and TDs are both just within the FCS top 10, efficiency ranks him at 36th in the FCS.

WR Robert Tonyan - averages 73.2 yards per game and has 5 receiving TDs. He generally gets about twice as many catches as anyone else on the team and has an 11.1 yard per catch average.

WR Miles Thompson - averages 52.0 yards per game and 13 yards per catch. Has 3 receiving TDs on the season.

WR Bob Pugh - a multi-faceted receiver, he’s averaged 61.5 yards per game (playing in 4 games) and 17.6 yards per catch, and has 1 receiving TD. He also works as a kick and punt returner, averaging 11.7 yards per punt return and 23.8 yards per kick return, which means he leads the team with 120.5 all-purpose yards per game. He also has, in one situation, thrown a 10 yard TD pass (so….a 514.0 passing efficiency rating :lol: )

DB Tsali Lough - second on the team for tackles with 35 total so far, but also has 1 sack, 2 interceptions, and a fumble returned for TD.

LB Jameer Thurman - leads the team with 46 tackles (9.2 per game), 7 tackles for loss including 1 sack, also 3 forced fumbles and 1 fumble recovery.

PK Jerry Nunez - 7 for 7 on field goals including 43 and 41-yarders. Also a perfect 17 for 17 on XPs.

The Game
Despite our lack of offense in the SDSU game, I like our matchup against Indiana State with our receivers and their lack of passing defense. Their rushing defense is a little better, but we’re pretty strong there too. Their passing offense is pretty decent, but not really on the level of SDSU...probably closer to Eastern Illinois when we played them, so I think we will actually be able to defend them, since they don’t have anyone that’s ANYTHING like what we saw out of SDSU’s big TE. Very few teams have anything close to those kind of weapons...honestly, I don’t think we’ll see anyone else even close to that type of offense until maybe the playoffs, if we’re in it (UNI has a good offense, but they’re more run-oriented)...but I digress. ISUb is probably feeling somewhat disheartened by losing to the usual conference “doormat” Missouri State, and our guys are probably going to be playing angry after the loss at SDSU. Combine that with Homecoming, a good crowd, a great day….I think we’ll take this one pretty solidly. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if we do a bit of running up the score if we are able to...just to get some of that anger out of our system. I think Western will put up a lot of points, maybe 40+, and win by at least 10, possibly nearing 20.

Miscellaneous
We’re actually still first in the FCS in red zone defense (at .500) because...in case you hadn’t noticed...SDSU only got to the red zone once. All the rest of their scores came from further out than that. So, it’s a bit of a misleading stat, but it still means that once teams get down to within 20, only half the time they are able to come away with any points. Limiting long passes is probably going to be the focus of the defense going forward...that’s probably our weakest area at this point.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Looks like we are playing in the MVFC Game of the Week again so Kelly Burke and crew just might be in the Mac for the Homecoming festivities. I will not be in town as I am in training for the Fallen Soldier 5K a couple weeks down the road. In my absence, Please, please Mr Defense Coordinator, plug up those holes in our pass defense. 'Cause if you don't, that game in 2 weeks will have little meaning and I will be making the trip just to run a 5K. It is for a very good cause but would be a lot of wasted travel dollars for nothing. I might as well just send those travel dollars to the WIU Foundation instead. I am also a bit concerned about our running game, even as hyped (maybe over-hyped) as it has been of late. We did not control the trenches against the Jacks and they pretty much shut the running game down except for one long run. What did I see as a result? When forced to pass the ball in an attempt to catch up, we did not seem very effective moving the ball. One other thing evident against SDSU. We did a poor job on kickoff returns. All too often, and there were ample opportunities to prove otherwise, we were facing a long field after being tackled inside the 20. Yes, one bad loss does not a season make. However, one more like it, especially on Homecoming, will leave Rocky in his doghouse with little to do other than gnaw on a big bone. So everyone have a safe and happy Homecoming this weekend. Help Rocky cheer the Necks to what we hope will be the first of a long string of victories in the MVFC season ahead. Lastly, I think Rocky got a little too sluggish slurping down all of that SDSU ice cream last weekend. Let's just stick to some simple lolipops this weekend. :)

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:...and I will be making the trip just to run a 5K.
You'll have to let me know what you're wearing for the race so I can find you.

And as for that weekend's game, I'll talk more about it later, but I actually think that overall, us and SDSU stand the best chance of knocking off NDSU this season. As their game with EWU showed, they can be vulnerable to a good passing game. Their run defense is solid, but EWU was able to put up 450 yards and 4 TDs through the air against them. Their offensive game relies more on the run as well, which we're pretty good at stopping. That's not to say it won't be tough...it's NDSU...but it's at our place and we do have a few factors that help reduce their advantage.

But enough about the Bison....

Homecoming...Sycamores...the Marching Leathernecks at the Alumni House...
[youtube][/youtube]
rocki

FWIW, on their message board they have a list of their injuries for the week. Brown, Jr. is out; Lang, Byrne, Vermillion, and Wilson are questionable (some still going through concussion protocol) and Pugh should be back from an ankle injury.

Anyone know how we are health-wise?
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:
You'll have to let me know what you're wearing for the race so I can find you.

I think I will stick out like a sore thumb. Wish I could run in the combat boots but unfortunately too much plantar fasciitis going on.

[tweet]643450259977412608[/tweet]
rocki

OK, where are Tom and Brian? Looking forward to hearing their thoughts and insights on this game.

I think as long as the guys don't let last week overshadow their thinking, they'll be fine this weekend. Not saying ISUb isn't a good competitor, I just think we'll be able to answer the call providing they think of last week as a learning experience and get on with business.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

New "Tanney Talks" has been posted: http://goleathernecks.com/watch/?Archive=2015
sealhall74

Scott, you still planning on getting some crowd shots for this game? If so, you might consider stitching them together and importing them into the new Facebook 360 Photo thing. Or better yet, wait for a lengthy break in the action like between 1st and 2nd quarters, run out to middle of field and shoot a quick full 360 degree panorama shot. I am sure no one would have a problem with that. If they do, just offer to be the waterboy and sneak the camera into one of the pockets. While everyone is quenching their thirst, you get the shot. Where there is a will there is a way.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Scott, you still planning on getting some crowd shots for this game? If so, you might consider stitching them together and importing them into the new Facebook 360 Photo thing. Or better yet, wait for a lengthy break in the action like between 1st and 2nd quarters, run out to middle of field and shoot a quick full 360 degree panorama shot. I am sure no one would have a problem with that. If they do, just offer to be the waterboy and sneak the camera into one of the pockets. While everyone is quenching their thirst, you get the shot. Where there is a will there is a way.
I'll see what I can do. When I mentioned that I'd take photos at the next home game, I'd forgotten that wouldn't be until Homecoming, so I'll be doing Alumni Band stuff. Still, I'll see what I can do. I will for sure do a facebook 360 thing, those are actually pretty easy to do.
wiu712

Preview of the game as seen on tonight's WGEM Sports:
http://www.wgem.com/story/33337673/2016 ... n-illinois