WIU at South Dakota (10/29/2016)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Image AT Image

Date/Time: Saturday, October 29 at 2 PM

Weather Forecast (as of 10/25): Doesn’t really matter, it’s in a dome, but for anyone planning on being there and driving, flying, or doing any tailgating outside the stadium before the game, Saturday is supposed to be a high of 61, mostly cloudy, no rain.
TV: Like all MVFC matchups this season, available on ESPN3/WatchESPN.com
Links: USD’s Record
The Coyotes are currently 4-3 overall, 3-1 in the MVFC.
They have wins over:
  • Weber State (52-49 2OT)
  • Northern Iowa (28-25)
  • Indiana State (33-30 2OT)
  • Illinois State (27-24)
Lost against:
  • FBS New Mexico (48-21)
  • North Dakota (47-44 2OT)
  • Youngstown State (30-20)
USD has won their last 3 straight games, and all of their wins have been by 3 points (I’ll get into that more in a bit).

The History
We’ve only been playing USD regularly for a few years now, since they joined the conference in 2012. We have an overall 4-2 record against USD, although our two losses were back in our DII days in ‘76 and ‘77. We’ve won the last 4 straight against the Coyotes.

Team Stat Analysis
To start off with,here’s the full stat comparison between the two teams.

Overall, it looks like we’re fairly evenly matched in most areas. Our rushing defense is better than theirs, but their rushing offense is better than ours. Our passing offense is better than theirs, but their passing defense is better than theirs (most team’s are, actually, we’re 114th by that metric). However, when the rushing and passing is combined (total yards), our defense and offense are both a bit better than theirs. We’re better at limiting sacks on our own QB, but they’re better at sacking their opposing QBs. They have a much better kicking game (one of the best in the FCS)....we have a much better time of possession.

Key Opposition Players

QB Austin Simmons - Redshirt Freshman who didn’t start but was put in for most of their last game against IL State. Simmons threw for 205 yards and 2 TDs in that game, but also threw an interception. He also ran for 36 yards.

RB Trevor Bouma - averages slightly under 80 yards per game and has 3 TDs.

DB Jacob Warner - 44 tackles, but also 3 interceptions and a fumble recovery.

LB Jet Moreland - leads the team with 66 tackles and has a fumble recovery

K/P Miles Bergner - 2nd in the FCS in Field Goal Percentage including a 50 yarder, 4-5 in the 40-49 range, 5-5 from the 30-39 range, and 2-2 from the 20-29 range, and perfect 27-27 for XPs. If he’s within 40 yards...he won’t miss...not in the dome. Oh, and he’s also #1 in the country in punting average, with 43 punts averaging 46.6 yards.

The Game

So...nothing special about this game...just a couple of teams playing a game of football ;)

Yea...right. This one’s big. In case you happened to be living under a rock for the last 11 months, after the season ended last year, our head coach, Bob Nielson, went to South Dakota and took most of his coaching staff with him. Personally, I think it worked out for the best, since we ended up with a great coach (and staff) with Coach Fisher (and his guys), but that doesn’t change the fact that the majority of the Leathernecks on the field today were recruited to come to Western by the guys who now make up slightly more than half of the USD coaching staff. So, that, combined with the way that the whole transition “went down” has meant that for a lot of the guys on the team, they’ve had this Saturday’s date circled on their calendars all year as THE game that they have to win….it’s like with the Bears...if you have only 1 win this season, beat the Packers...well...if Western had only 1 win this season (thankfully not the case)...they need to beat the Coyotes. This one’s personal.

I think that in general, just from the stats and abilities of the teams, I think we have a very slight advantage. Intellectually, the USD staff knows most of our players very well...their tendencies, weaknesses, etc. But, Western will have emotion on their side. It’s personal for us...but not so much for the USD players. Emotion can be a good motivator, but you have to temper that with doing what you know...doing your “job” and not trying to push to overdo it...don’t want guys getting overly excited and overthrowing receivers or having a DB over-persue a receiver (any more than they already do). I think that it’ll stay fairly close, but at some point we’ll trade a TD for a USD FG and we’ll end up winning by about 4 points.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

Copied and pasted this from the USD message boards. (Poster is named "lynx" on this board, and was the main one agitating when Nick Severs came to WIU) :roll:

WIU is in trouble with all the injuries pilling up. McShane has bad wheel, Brett Taylor out concussion, Zobrist bad knee, and we can't seem to get over loosing Bob Nielson.

Read more: http://usdcoyotesports.proboards.com/th ... z4OIS1Jmr1

Obviously, I disagree with the "loosing" (grammar perfectionist here) Bob Nielson statement. Don't think our record would be what it is if he had stayed, personally. It never was his leaving that p*ssed me off, it was the way he jerked the team around, btw.

My biggest question is about his injury report. I thought someone said we came out of the NDSU game healthy. I know McShane has been banged up some, thus the insertion of Jamie Gilmore into the lineup.

Anyone know anything about what's really up regarding injuries/roster adjustments?

I know we are capable of winning this, and I hope the team channels their emotions into great game play - I'd like to see them get their "revenge" or whatever they want to call it.

Let's go 'Necks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Neckfansince71

Guess this game is going to take a lot of intestinal "fortitude!" ;) jc
letsgonecks

Looks like their regular starter Chris Streveler will be back. Not 100%, but according to a few things online he'll be ready to go. If not, their redshirt freshman looked pretty capable.

http://volanteonline.com/2016/10/usd-qu ... d-problem/

Streveler is a beast of a QB. Pretty decent throwing the ball, but a threat to run and not afraid of contact. If he does start, they may limit his running since he was out with a concussion, so that could be helpful.

Either way, I do feel we're a better overall team. They're still pretty good and have a solid chance, but I'm going WIU 27 USD 17.

As far as injuries go, I hope all 3 guys previously mentioned are good to go. If not, we're still ok. Luckily Gilmore is very capable and we have Moore who has a bunch of experience. Hate to not have Brett, but Moon is a stud and can fill the middle with Brott moving back into the outside starting role. Nichols who's been subbing a lot for Wagner can fill in for Zobrist if needed and still have Kirsch and Detweiler.
huskie

Coyote Corner Preview of this weeks game.

http://www.yankton.net/sports/article_6 ... l?mode=jqm
BobLovely

Of course, I would love to see this game become a blowout for the Leathernecks but SD is a good MVFC team, like us. However, there will be extra motivation because of the way Neilsen left and because SD violated one of the unspoken covenants of conference affiliation in "poaching" a head coach from another conference member. These events will not be forgotten by this team and the fans. This being said, I see a battle:

Western Illinois 35
South Dakota 27

Bob
sealhall74

When it comes to coyotes, standard rules apply.
One, never feed them (especially with turnovers).
Two, the critters have excellent hearing so give them something to hear:

Just dont overuse that "shaker can" though (they will adjust so we really need to mix things up on offense)
And last, always keep yourself between a coyote and any small children (or what matters on Saturday, the end zone).

Songdogs 24
Bulldogs 27
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Preview of the game as seen on WGEM Sports with Ben Marth:
http://www.wgem.com/story/33503715/2016 ... uth-dakota
Leatherneck57

Not sure where these injury reports came from but they are false. Outside of Conrady and Diggs we are healthy! Brett Taylor feels the best he has felt since the Northern Illinois game.

We're good to go!!

LN57
yokedneck

LN57 beat me to it.
WIU is in trouble with all the injuries pilling up. McShane has bad wheel, Brett Taylor out concussion, Zobrist bad knee, and we can't seem to get over loosing Bob Nielson.
:lol: on all three injuries. My source A+

Tom
Attachments
BundleSticks.png
BundleSticks.png (161.96 KiB) Viewed 6039 times
[thinkpurple]Leatherneck Football[/thinkpurple]