WIU at Weber State (11/25/17) - Playoffs Round 1

rocki

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:25 pm Whenever possible, they match up teams so that it's a bus trip rather than a flight (I think the limit is 400 miles or something). If it's beyond that though, it doesn't really matter much since it's a flight wherever.

We wouldn't have gotten matched up with USD though because there's a rule against first round conference rematches. We could have gotten matched with NAU (not in conference) or YSU if they'd made it in because we didn't play them this year.

Watch out next year because we could have to play SDSU in the playoffs if neither of us are seeded. We don't play them in the regular season next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get that part, so does it boil down to a flight is a flight no matter the distance? I'm confused as to why USD didn't have to go to Utah and we go to Louisiana. It just seemed like those would be closer matchups - but if a flight is a flight is a flight, then I guess distance doesn't matter. (Obviously I don't have to deal with charter flights and pricing them, so I don't know how that works, lol!)
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yes...once it's beyond "bus drive" distance, a flight is a flight regardless of distance. If there's nobody to match us up with in our vicinity, we could be headed pretty much anywhere in the country.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Leatherneck177

Any idea of the bookstore is selling playoff t shirts? Or are they selling them online?
Leatherneck177

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:25 pm Whenever possible, they match up teams so that it's a bus trip rather than a flight (I think the limit is 400 miles or something). If it's beyond that though, it doesn't really matter much since it's a flight wherever.

We wouldn't have gotten matched up with USD though because there's a rule against first round conference rematches. We could have gotten matched with NAU (not in conference) or YSU if they'd made it in because we didn't play them this year.

Watch out next year because we could have to play SDSU in the playoffs if neither of us are seeded. We don't play them in the regular season next year.

Wow, good early catch. Let’s hope we can avoid that. Although they do graduate a lot of talent on offense, but still not a matchup I’d like.
JackJD

I'll be with some Jackrabbit fans following your game Saturday. Best of luck -- beat the Big Sky!
wiu712

Leatherneck177 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:52 pmAny idea of the bookstore is selling playoff t shirts? Or are they selling them online?
This is Thanksgiving Break. Is the Bookstore open this week ????
LocalYokelFan

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:19 pm
LocalYokelFan wrote:
Scott, I wasn't talking our red zone defense as a weakness, from what I heard on the broadcast, statistically, we rank near the bottom in red zone OFFENSE. Is that correct? IE, our weakness would going up against a team strength of Weber State.
Oh...ok yeah, I got ya.

Red zone offense, we are 21st in the FCS and 3rd in the MVFC behind UNI (#1) AND SDSU (#7). When we get into the red zone, we score 87.2% of the time. So...we're not at the top, but I wouldn't really call us bad at it.

Ok, so this was bothering me (and probably no one else, but bear with me)...

It was the TV Broadcast (ESPN3, WIU announcers I'm gathering). 2nd Quarter, about 1 hr 4 min into the broadcast right AFTER Saunders barely makes the first down on 4th and 1 and right BEFORE McShane scores our first TD. ESPN graphic shows WIU Red Zone Scoring, Season, 46%, 8th in MVC and the announcers talk about that stat a bit. It didn't sound right when I heard it and now that ST's on the case, I certainly take his stats over that one.

BUT... I wasn't the author of baloney stats, ESPN3 was!
wiu712

Jazzed about Utah: WIU Football returns to the Post-season Party.

From KHQA-TV-7 Sports:
http://khqa.com/sports/content/jazzed-a ... ason-party
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Leatherneck177 wrote:
Wow, good early catch. Let’s hope we can avoid that. Although they do graduate a lot of talent on offense, but still not a matchup I’d like.
Yeah...but they do still have Rozeboom for two more years and a very good RB, plus whoever else they reload with. I don't mind not having to play them and instead picking up YSU again in the midst of what looks to be a down period.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Weber State's Stewart Stadium seats 17,500 fans and is also the home of the Weber State Athletic Department offices, as well as the coaching offices for football, track and field, and volleyball.

Located on a hillside above the city of Ogden, Stewart Stadium offers views of the Wasatch Mountains to the East and the city of Ogden and the Great Salt Lake to the West.

Stewart Stadium has been the home of Weber State football and track & field since the 1950’s when the new campus of then Weber Junior College was built.