vs Miami (OH), vs American, vs Milwaukee

wiu712

Miami won the game 76-73 in double overtime.

Dalan Ancrum led the Western scoring with 22 points. Kobe Webster had 15.

Western only shot 9 free throws (made 6). Miami shot 18 (made 11).

Attendance at Western Hall = 658.
meganeck

vatusay wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:20 pm Well I think it should have been a W, but what a finish.
I agree it was a game WIU should have won, but a great game. At times it seemed WIU was playing 2 on 5, with the offense only going thru Acrum & Webster down the stretch. Missed a couple point blank shots at end of regulation that would have won it.
sealhall74

meganeck wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:58 am
vatusay wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:20 pm Well I think it should have been a W, but what a finish.
I agree it was a game WIU should have won, but a great game. At times it seemed WIU was playing 2 on 5, with the offense only going thru Acrum & Webster down the stretch. Missed a couple point blank shots at end of regulation that would have won it.
We had no inside outside game without Gilbeck on the floor. I know we have rarely seen two bigs on the floor at the same time in the last decade, but I think it might pay some dividends. Also think throwing in some true zone with those bigs in place might be a nice wrinkle to confuse the opponent and keep our guys out of foul trouble. Also, I am not a believer in sticking to one defensive look throughout a game. Football teams dont do it so why should hoop teams. I watched Bob Huggins WVU team beat Mizzou last weekend in Orlando. His all world PG Jevon Carter got into foul trouble about 3/4 thru. He did not sit him but instead switched from man to zone with Carter placed UNDER the bucket and away from trouble. It kept him in the game so he could remain their offensive spark plug. Mizzou started hitting a few tres and he switched to full court pressure zone to fuel the comeback. Mizzou had real trouble dealing with it. If you give a team the same look on defense all game long, you eventually let them find a comfort zone.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

There is no way in the world there were only 658 fans there but when you don’t take the people who sit on the scoreboard sides tickets it’s nearly impossible to get an accurate count.
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:54 am There is no way in the world there were only 658 fans there but when you don’t take the people who sit on the scoreboard sides tickets it’s nearly impossible to get an accurate count.
From my TV vantage point, looked like around 150 on the scoreboard side of the bowl. Am I anywhere near close?
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Dalan Ancrum played all 50 minutes.

Miami had 11 steals. Western had 5.
meganeck

I am concerned about the seemingly lack of depth. also there is some height on this team, but none of them play. Snyder, Hughes, Claar haven't really played much this year. It really bugs me we bring in JUCO guys and they don't play. IMO, the only reason to sign JUCO guys is they can come in and help right away.
leatherneckcountry

I would have liked to have seen Dalan be more selfish a couple of times he was opened and tried to pass that resulted in TO's Claar hasn't dressed yet so not sure if he's red shirting I never want to see Snyder on the floor again Hughes I thought played ok last year not sure why he hasn't seen more action this year.
meganeck

Didn't know that about Claar, hoping they are redshirting him. If anything it will help with the scholarship distribution. they currently have 7 juniors on the roster. Although I don't think Ryan Maas is on scholarship.I agree I thought Hughes showed some promise last year.

The announcers on the ESPN3 broadcast said there was a big crowd there so i was disappointed when it was listed as only six hundred and some odd fans at the game.
meganeck

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:39 pm I would have liked to have seen Dalan be more selfish a couple of times he was opened and tried to pass that resulted in TO's Claar hasn't dressed yet so not sure if he's red shirting I never want to see Snyder on the floor again Hughes I thought played ok last year not sure why he hasn't seen more action this year.
There was one time in OT (I believe) Dalan drove the lane and tried to dump it off to Morgan, but Morgan wasn't paying attention and it went out of bounds. You could see Billy told him to shoot.