vs Miami (OH), vs American, vs Milwaukee

rocki

Why do we not rebound offensively? There could have been so many second or third shots last night, but the only people under the boards after we attempted a shot were wearing red.
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:58 pm Why do we not rebound offensively? There could have been so many second or third shots last night, but the only people under the boards after we attempted a shot were wearing red.
I will take a stab at it, in no particular order:

We are simply less physical than most of the D1 opponents we will face.
We are a 4 guard perimeter-oriented offense so fewer bodies near the rim to pick up a rebound.
We absolutely must keep Gilbeck away from the silly over-the-back and reach-in fouls at our offensive end of court.
We play a mostly pack line defense and one of the major tenets is never get beat by a fast-break bucket so when shot goes up, first inclination is head other direction.
We have shot the ball well so far, (> 50%) so guys have developed a false sense of trust that the ball is usually going in.

Statistically so far, we only really got clobbered on the offensive rebounding/2nd chance points stat in the ISU game (4/2 vs 11/10) and the IUPUI game (6/3 vs 18/20). Last night's game was not great at 8/4 vs 10/11 but you are right, it is something we need to work on.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:59 pm The announcers on the ESPN3 broadcast said there was a big crowd there so i was disappointed when it was listed as only six hundred and some odd fans at the game.
I just about fell out of my chair when they said that. They were saying the crowd was big and then showed a shot of like 2 people surrounded by empty seats.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

I guess given the current state of affairs, we should expect a little truthful hyperbole from the broadcasting dept. But please stop going to split screen shot with sideline reporter while game is in progress. That is absolute bush league at best.
beauspencer

I can assure you that they are not underestimating attendance numbers. They are estimated numbers, and up until a few years ago were entirely inflated. This is why many people have a false sense of accurate attendance figures at Hanson Field and Western Hall.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:32 amFrom my TV vantage point, looked like around 150 on the scoreboard side of the bowl. Am I anywhere near close?
I would say that is a good estimate.

I wonder where everyone was ??? They sure missed an exciting game.

I know that the high school had a home game vs Quincy Notre Dame. But in looking at the video highlights from that game from WGEM Sports, they also did not have a very big crowd.

Maybe people were staying home to watch the Wisconsin football game.
wiu2017

After reading all these post, my summation ..Having Morgan in the game gives you more offensive rebounds. Morgan runs the floor great , blocks shots, plays ok on perimeter defense, Not a 3pt shooter, but we have Ancrum , Kobe and Usiosefe for that..

Hmm. So why is Duff starting.. Hell why did he start last year for that matter.. I think Morgans and Duffs minutes need to be flipped.. Ofcourse it also depends on what the other team is doing..
I just think Morgan will give us more than Duff.
The 4 guard offense is popular because of the three point line, some one is gonna be open,
But Ancrum doesnt need to be open, he shoots better with someone guarding him..
Hopefully after saying this Duff will shoot lights out next few games and , it wont matter
leatherneckcountry

Because Morgan can’t guard anyone and he turns the ball over way to much he’s already on the floor to much plus you start him and Brandon both don’t know how to stay out of foul trouble and you have no size Duff is the only perimeter defender that we have.
sealhall74

Right now, we have 2.5 point guards on the floor (Ancrum also shows point guard tendencies at times). I dont think you can win with that chemistry unless you are a run and gun team.
wiu2013

The only true point guard on the floor is Webster. He is the only one that can run an offense on a consistent basis.
Duff is not a point guard. He was listed as a shooting guard (although he has been terrible). I believe he continues to be on the floor because he is probably the best perimeter defender. I do believe his shooting woes will soon put a strain on this team. He scored 7- 10 points last year, and I am sure he was expected to score a few points more to make up for Covington's scoring. Luckily, Ancrum has picked up some of the slack, as well as, Webster.
Ancrum has been a bright spot this season, but his point guard tendencies are limited. We saw what happened when those tendencies kicked in a few times during the game.
Although Morgan has moments, I think he thinks he is a way better shooter than what he is. Please feel free to shoot when you are under the basket, but let's limit it to under the basket.
It's hard to find a decent big man at the bottom of the D1 totem pole. Anyone with size and an ounce of talent is being recruited at bigger conferences. Think about the size of most teams that we have already played or play.
I do believe NCAA rule requires that all scholarships are used.