Charlie Fisher

rocki

GV Dad wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:09 pm
tjk1985 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:39 am This is extremely disappointing, if true. He was one of the biggest reasons our family felt like this was a good place for TJ to be and having just signed NLI during early period. We probably would have waited until February had there been any inkling of such a move.
We feel the same way. And now the silence is deafening. One of the Coaches told T that they didn't know if it was true or not, and they'd let him know when they. Which I can understand, but waiting to hear is pretty stressful right now.

We love Coach Fisher, and if he goes we wish him well. Hope he stays, number 1. But hope they promote an Asst to HC if he leaves. And quickly.
Amen to that. This is where I have a problem with the "it's a business" refrain. Yes, I realize the ASU job pays more, the climate is more agreeable, and on and on. Still, I would think that a person would feel they owed some allegiance to the students they recruited. I guess that's why I was never a coach.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote:
GV Dad wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:24 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:22 pm It does concern me that as active as this staff is on twitter that there has been nothing from them the last couple days.
Agreed, but after the comment above, about maybe negotiating to keep him, it makes a little more sense.
Agree and a couple weeks ago it look liked Nielsen was all but gone at USD and they worked something out sorry no one is going to convince me that he didn't at least have a conversation with Kent State I also find it interesting that a poster on ASG said that Doug Malone interviewed for the Tennessee Tech job.
Right. Whether he had any intention of leaving or if it was just a negotiating tactic, I don't know, but I'm about as sure as can be that Nielson's agent at least had some discussions with Kent State.

Malone was interim HC at Tennessee Tech for a while, so that part didn't really surprise me. They ended up going with someone else, just FYI (announced this morning). Like I said earlier...successful coaches are going to get interest from the next level up (either FBS school or going from asst to HC at a FCS school).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

It could be a little quite for a while as a former Penn St lineman who I think would have been teammates of coach Howle and played for fisher died this morning as well.
Last edited by leatherneckcountry on Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WIUSuperFan

I joined this discussion late so please bare with me. I saw it last night and shared it with my buddy Scott Lawson. It caught both of us off guard originally. Other than that article he mentioned, we were never led to believe that he was leaving. One thing I said last night to Scott is that I wasn't surprised to hear the news of his departure since the pay was higher and whenever WIU makes playoffs, we lose our head coach. It happened with Nielsen and looks 75% possible with Fisher (estimating here). When is Fisher's contract officially up?
Devin Biggs
BS, Meteorology (2017)
Alumnus of Western Illinois University
Email: dm-biggs@wiu.edu
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:38 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote:
GV Dad wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:24 pm

Agreed, but after the comment above, about maybe negotiating to keep him, it makes a little more sense.
Agree and a couple weeks ago it look liked Nielsen was all but gone at USD and they worked something out sorry no one is going to convince me that he didn't at least have a conversation with Kent State I also find it interesting that a poster on ASG said that Doug Malone interviewed for the Tennessee Tech job.
Right. Whether he had any intention of leaving or if it was just a negotiating tactic, I don't know, but I'm about as sure as can be that Nielson's agent at least had some discussions with Kent State.

Malone was interim HC at Tennessee Tech for a while, so that part didn't really surprise me. They ended up going with someone else, just FYI (announced this morning). Like I said earlier...successful coaches are going to get interest from the next level up (either FBS school or going from asst to HC at a FCS school).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't remember now but I heard or read that the Kent St president killed the idea of them hiring Nielsen

Also Coach Fisher did tweet this afternoon but it was about the former Penn St football player dying
GV Dad

Fisher has tweeted a couple times, but none of the other Coaches or the WIU Football Account has tweeted anything at all. Almost like they were given the instruction to lay low. Is a little too "Area 51" of me? LOL
rocki

And, the story has hit at least Yahoo with questions about having the early signing days now.......https://sports.yahoo.com/western-illino ... 19555.html
GV Dad

rocki wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:54 pm And, the story has hit at least Yahoo with questions about having the early signing days now.......https://sports.yahoo.com/western-illino ... 19555.html
Good article with some fair points. Some of the comments are off base, knowing Coach Fisher. But they are coming from people who don't know the man. I really don't believe there was anything underhanded towards my son or any other recruits. Just really unfortunate timing.
rocki

I'm not saying there was anything underhanded, just that they do bring up some valid points in regards to players being recruited only to be (possibly) left coach-less. They signed in good faith, and it sucks that this could happen - not just here, but anywhere, now that we have the early signing dates. I know it could happen even with signing dates in Feb. but for the most part open positions and such have been filled by then so it seems less likely.

My hope is that if Charlie Fisher does leave, that the university does everything it can to keep the rest of the staff and promote from within. I'm sure the kids have talked to more coaches than just Coach Fisher - if we can at least do everything we can to keep the consistency with the coaching staff they did meet with it will be a help, IMHO.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:12 pm
rocki wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:54 pm And, the story has hit at least Yahoo with questions about having the early signing days now.......https://sports.yahoo.com/western-illino ... 19555.html
Good article with some fair points. Some of the comments are off base, knowing Coach Fisher. But they are coming from people who don't know the man. I really don't believe there was anything underhanded towards my son or any other recruits. Just really unfortunate timing.
Agreed. This is definitely an issue that the NCAA is going to have to deal with. Coach Fisher always struck me as a pretty "stand-up guy", so I'd be really surprised if he had much advance knowledge of this possibility going into recruiting the players. But I know that there are coaches out there that maybe don't care as much about that kind of stuff.

Another thing to consider is how the timing of these types of changes (in a general sense) affects coaches that go to teams where the same players could feasibly play. For example, two years ago when Coach Nielson and his coaching staff left for South Dakota...a fellow MVFC team...all but 1, I think, of the players who had verbally committed to Western switched to USD before signing day. If we'd had early signing two years ago, some of those players might have been locked into staying with Western. Whether that's good or bad is a matter of perspective, good for the football program....maybe....bad for the individual players...possibly...but it's something the NCAA is going to have to take a second look at.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000