2018 Summit League Tournament

wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:35 pmAugustana University (as opposed to Augustana College in the Quad Cities) does have pretty decent facilities and would fit in just fine with the Summit. The question would be what to do about football for them. They'd need to expand their stadium a bit and the team isn't too bad, but haven't been "world beaters" at the DII level for the most part.
All Western tournament games will be on WIUS, 88.3 FM.

The football stadium at Augustana University in Sioux Falls looks nicer than our west side of Hanson Field.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:03 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:35 pmAugustana University (as opposed to Augustana College in the Quad Cities) does have pretty decent facilities and would fit in just fine with the Summit. The question would be what to do about football for them. They'd need to expand their stadium a bit and the team isn't too bad, but haven't been "world beaters" at the DII level for the most part.

The football stadium at Augustana University in Sioux Falls looks nicer than our west side of Hanson Field.
I'm sure it is nicer, it just holds fewer people and would be, by about 4k people, the smallest stadium in the MVFC if that's the direction they went. Alternately, they could go pioneer league, or the Omaha route and drop football entirely (although that seems kinda unlikely).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:38 pm
wiu712 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:03 pm

I'm sure it is nicer, it just holds fewer people and would be, by about 4k people, the smallest stadium in the MVFC if that's the direction they went. Alternately, they could go pioneer league, or the Omaha route and drop football entirely (although that seems kinda unlikely).
Looks like they have a lot of berm seating (bring your lawn chair) which honestly is the way I prefer to watch a game. They can probably get another 1500 on the grassy knolls.
Embrace the pace of the race.
OldHare

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:35 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:05 pm
OldHare wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:35 pm https://www.argusleader.com/sports/

http://argusleader.sd.newsmemory.com...aid_subscriber&
Interesting read about Summit expansion. I could see Augustana making the move before anyone else. Their facilities look good enough to do it now. Big advantage being able to leverage some facilities owned by the City when necessary for attendance, all-weather surfaces, etc.
Somethings not quite right with your link there, just FYI.
Augustana University (as opposed to Augustana College in the Quad Cities) does have pretty decent facilities and would fit in just fine with the Summit. The question would be what to do about football for them. They'd need to expand their stadium a bit and the team isn't too bad, but haven't been "world beaters" at the DII level for the most part.
go back and try now.
wiu712

Summit Climb: Western Illinois attempts to defend conference crown.

From WGEM Sports:
http://www.wgem.com/story/37637659/2018 ... ence-crown
wiu712

Saturday's Quarter-finals:

South Dakota beat Fort Wayne 83-32.

South Dakota State beat North Dakota State 87-62.

Attendance = 8,944.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:Saturday's Quarter-finals:

Attendance = 8,944.
I mean...I realize it's in South Dakota, but damn. Nearly 9,000 people. That's crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu2013

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:01 pm
wiu712 wrote:Saturday's Quarter-finals:

Attendance = 8,944.
I mean...I realize it's in South Dakota, but damn. Nearly 9,000 people. That's crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So please explain how this is considered a "neutral site" for a tournament? The Summit League might as well play the game at South Dakota or South Dakota State campus!
Tere North

wiu2013 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:08 pm So please explain how this is considered a "neutral site" for a tournament? The Summit League might as well play the game at South Dakota or South Dakota State campus!
If fans don't show up, then the conference won't make any money, nor would the conference get much recognition. So it's got to be played somewhere. Regionally, the location provides the a central location to the ND and SD teams, with Denver and Omaha not really all that far away. Fort Wayne and us are the farthest, along with Oral Roberts now what they're back.

Where else would you have the tourney that could bring the crowd?
wiu712

Tere North wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:44 pm Regionally, the location provides the a central location to the ND and SD teams, with Denver and Omaha not really all that far away. Fort Wayne and us are the farthest, along with Oral Roberts now what they're back.
Macomb is closer to Sioux Falls than Denver is. 500 miles for Macomb. 624 miles for Denver.

It is 563 miles for Oral Roberts and 735 miles for Fort Wayne.
Last edited by wiu712 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.