Coaching needs

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
meganeck

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Heard today that WIU had 2 good candidates apply for the softball job, one with a connection to WIU,, but neither had master's degrees, so they were turned down. Who knows how true that is, but something is going on since nobody has been hired yet and like I said previously seems like the job was reposted.

Now that I posted this, they'll probably announce a hire today or tomorrow.
sealhall74

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:09 pm

I can see a Masters requirement when you are trying to sustain a long time successful program and the world is beating a path to your door, but when you are basically rebuilding from scratch, I would go with my gut and pick the best candidate.
If Jimmy V was a programmer like me, he would have said it like this: while (!(succeed = try()));
Tere North

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:55 am

sealhall74 wrote:
I can see a Masters requirement when you are trying to sustain a long time successful program and the world is beating a path to your door, but when you are basically rebuilding from scratch, I would go with my gut and pick the best candidate.
What is the value of a Master's degree??????????

I thought we put this approach to bed when VanAlstine left. I though the degree req was dumb then and still do.

Need the right person.
meganeck

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:00 pm

Tere North wrote:
sealhall74 wrote:

I thought we put this approach to bed when VanAlstine left. I though the degree req was dumb then and still do.

Need the right person.
agree just need the best person...and I couldn't remember how that whole Master's degree thing got started. Makes no sense.
rocki

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:43 pm

Tere North wrote:
sealhall74 wrote:

Need the right person.
The last I knew, the masters didn't even have to be in their area of expertise. Talk about a dumb requirement!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:54 pm

Regarding Swimming and Diving, we've hired Scott Johannsen as the new S&D coach.
He's a WIU alumni, was on the swimming team from '82-'84, captain during the '83-'84 season, and is a Davenport, IA native. He was most recently the head swimming coach at Augustana College (Rock Island) and had a great deal of success there.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000