Hanson Field

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
Neckfansince71

There has got to be some way of refurbishing the westside on the basis of safety!  It is basically crumbling beneath our feet as the years pass.   ;)
 jc
sealhall74

Some sort of safety handrails desperately needed around the purple seat section at midfield (mostly older folks sit there)  IMHO.  Other sections on the west side not as important.  I would think the cost of this would not be extraordinary.  Lets hope the concrete does not crumble as the drill bit goes through it.  I had a crazy happen in my bathroom when I was replacing the innards of my toilet a few years back.  The original bolt attaching the tank to the stool was not brass like it should have been.  I put a screwdriver on it to remove and the hole damn bolt came loose and fell into a neat pile of rust dust.  Seriously.  Not a recognizable piece of it was left to pick up.     :lol:

Embrace the pace of the race.
Bball Fan

Most high schools have nicer press box and stands than WIU.
bignecks

on note of older people navigating the stadium, I think something needs to be done to get people from the lot to the stadium. I've tried to flag down carts for my mom and they just don't stop. We went to their tent last year and were told they weren't the carts that took people. But she has a replaced hip and I feel bad watching her trudge through campus. 
rocki

bignecks wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:54 pm on note of older people navigating the stadium, I think something needs to be done to get people from the lot to the stadium. I've tried to flag down carts for my mom and they just don't stop. We went to their tent last year and were told they weren't the carts that took people. But she has a replaced hip and I feel bad watching her trudge through campus. 

I don't know if they still do, but at one time MDH had a "shuttle" that picked people up in the parking lot and let them out at the front entrance to the hospital. Especially nice during bad weather - something like that might be a suggestion for all sports, considering most parking is in Q lot and it can be a hike even to a basketball game in Western Hall.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

bignecks wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:54 pm on note of older people navigating the stadium, I think something needs to be done to get people from the lot to the stadium. I've tried to flag down carts for my mom and they just don't stop. We went to their tent last year and were told they weren't the carts that took people. But she has a replaced hip and I feel bad watching her trudge through campus. 

I was at the WIU Marching Band Classic last Saturday and there was a woman, maybe in her 60s or so, who needed to use my shoulder to hold on to so that she could make it down the steps on the west side. I also agree with you about using carts to take people to and from Q-lot, but just wanted to mention another example of people having issues with the stadium. Can't have handrails, but hey...at least we have a new mural on the south end of the west side. I'm sure that'll help when someone goes tumbling down the stairs and sues the university.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

With the size of today's crowds, there is more than enough room for everybody to sit on the east side.

The university may want to consider closing off the west side until safety concerns can be addressed.

leatherneckcountry

I don’t know why they don’t use the lot by the south concession stands. Make it for older people and those with health problems. That would be a much shorter walk and people could sit on either side.
sealhall74

If you get a nice limo golf cart or two to transport fans from the parking lots, take them inside the gate and drop them off as close to their desired seat as possible.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:45 am I don’t know why they don’t use the lot by the south concession stands. Make it for older people and those with health problems. That would be a much shorter walk and people could sit on either side.

That's a good idea.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000