2023 NCAA Baseball Championships

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Our future OVC-mate Eastern Illinois played in the Nashville Regional (regionals are double-elimination).
They lost their first game against #6 Vanderbilt (12-2) then lost their second game against Xavier (7-0).
Oregon won that regional, defeating Xavier (5-4), then #6 Vanderbilt (8-7), then Xavier again (11-2).

The representative from the Summit League, Oral Roberts swept through the Stillwater Regional, beating #11 Oklahoma State (6-4), then Washington (15-12), then Dallas Baptist (6-5).
Oral Roberts will take on previously-mentioned Oregon in the Super Regionals (a best of 3 series).

Other school we have some familiarity with is the MVC representative, Indiana State.
INSU went in as the #14 team, defeated Wright State (6-5), then Iowa (7-4), and then Iowa again (11-8). They will compete in the Super Regional against either TCU or #3 Arkansas.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:12 pm Our future OVC-mate Eastern Illinois played in the Nashville Regional (regionals are double-elimination).
They lost their first game against #6 Vanderbilt (12-2) then lost their second game against Xavier (7-0).
Oregon won that regional, defeating Xavier (5-4), then #6 Vanderbilt (8-7), then Xavier again (11-2).

The representative from the Summit League, Oral Roberts swept through the Stillwater Regional, beating #11 Oklahoma State (6-4), then Washington (15-12), then Dallas Baptist (6-5).
Oral Roberts will take on previously-mentioned Oregon in the Super Regionals (a best of 3 series).

Other school we have some familiarity with is the MVC representative, Indiana State.
INSU went in as the #14 team, defeated Wright State (6-5), then Iowa (7-4), and then Iowa again (11-8). They will compete in the Super Regional against either TCU or #3 Arkansas.

The ORU setup man (Widener) and closer (Denton) may be the best relief combo in college baseball this year. 

Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

#10 Oral Roberts had a 8-0 lead over Oregon in Friday's Super-Regional game 1.  But they lost the game 9-8.

Oral Roberts will need to win Saturday's game to stay in the tournament.
wiu712

Oral Roberts won Saturday's game 2 in dramatic fashion by scoring 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th to win the game 8-7.

Attendance at Oregon = 4,476

Game 3 will be on Sunday.

wiu712

In Sunday's deciding Game 3, Oral Roberts beat Oregon 11-6.  Oral Roberts advances to the College World Series.

Oral Roberts returns to the College World Series for the first time since 1978.

Oral Roberts is only the third Regional #4 seed to advance to the CWS.

Attendance at Oregon = 4,476

sealhall74

ORU going to College World Series is the biggest conference achievement since Mouse McFadden took Cleveland State to the Sweet 16 back in late 80s.  Or did I miss something along the way?

Upon futher review, Valpo and the Drews also made the Sweet 16 a tad later on in 1996.

In the late innings of this one, no pitcher had much in the way of command.  I wonder if the strong wind blowing straight out had an impact on their control.

wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:04 pm ORU going to College World Series is the biggest conference achievement since Mouse McFadden took Cleveland State to the Sweet 16 back in late 80s.  Or did I miss something along the way?

Oral Roberts Men's Basketball went to the Sweet Sixteen in 2021.  

They were a #15 seed.  

They beat #2 Ohio State 75-72 in overtime.  Then beat #7 Florida 81-78.

They lost to #3 Arkansas 72-70 in a Regional Semi-Final Game (Sweet Sixteen).

sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:57 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:04 pm ORU going to College World Series is the biggest conference achievement since Mouse McFadden took Cleveland State to the Sweet 16 back in late 80s.  Or did I miss something along the way?

Oral Roberts Men's Basketball went to the Sweet Sixteen in 2021.  

They were a #15 seed.  

They beat #2 Ohio State 75-72 in overtime.  Then beat #7 Florida 81-78.

They lost to #3 Arkansas 72-70 in a Regional Semi-Final Game (Sweet Sixteen).

First sign of dementia.  You can remember who your first grade teacher was but can't remember why you just walked into the bathroom.  lol

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Coincidentally, my family and I are on a trip out to the east coast for a couple of weeks. We were having dinner in Charlottesville, VA and I noticed a large number of people (especially for a Sunday evening in the summer) at all the restaurants…many wearing university of Virginia stuff. It wasn’t until I saw someone in a Virginia baseball shirt that it clicked.

I looked it up and apparently they had just finished beating Duke to win their super regional about 1 mile up the road from where we were eating.

Virginia will be in the same bracket as Florida, TCU (who knocked out Indiana State), and Oral Roberts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

More Oral Roberts magic in today's opening game of the College World Series in Omaha.

Oral Roberts was trailing TCU 5-2 going into the top of the 9th inning.

But Oral Roberts scored 4 runs in the top of the 9th to take a 6-5 lead.

Oral Roberts then shut down TCU in the bottom of the 9th to win the game 6-5.

Oral Roberts will now play the winner of tonight's Virginia vs Florida game. That game will be Sunday at 6:00 PM on ESPN 2.