2023-2024 season

wiu712

Western Hall unveils new gym floor.
https://theproxyreport.com/2023/10/10/w ... gym-floor/

HoosierNeck13

Is it just me, or do I feel we have something special going on with this team? No way we finish 8th in the league.

I had a chance to listen to the local media day last week and really liked what Chad had to say-sounded confident about our team, wants the community to come support the program (I would if I wasn't 6 hours away). 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

HoosierNeck13 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:22 pm Is it just me, or do I feel we have something special going on with this team? No way we finish 8th in the league.

I had a chance to listen to the local media day last week and really liked what Chad had to say-sounded confident about our team, wants the community to come support the program (I would if I wasn't 6 hours away). 

Feels like there's a lot more excitement about basketball than about football these days. Lots of new things going on...new conference, new "paint job" on the court, new HC. I think that the low preseason ranking is mostly just because nobody really knows how we'll match up with many of the OVC teams. I know I'm excited to get to regularly go against EIU and SIUE. It's been 17 years since we had any in-state conference opponents (Chicago State), so I'm happy we'll be getting some actual rivalries going.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

HoosierNeck13 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:22 pm Is it just me, or do I feel we have something special going on with this team? No way we finish 8th in the league.

With all the new things i can understand the ranking. New coach new conference plus we lose three starters including the best player we had seen in a while. I don't think we'll finish 8th but i understand it.

meganeck

i agree there does seem to be something with this staff and team. Just have the feeling they will be successful this year and going forward. I know it was mentioned about the new conference, but I'm not getting that same vide with the women's team and nothing against them because I expect a bounce back year from them, just seems more excitement surrounding the men's team. I also like the fact that you are seeing tweets about WIU offers and visits and local kids getting offers or visiting. It was pretty quiet on that front with the previous coaching staffs. esp Jeter. I'm just excited for the season to start and see how they look.
sealhall74

I did not make it to the Monday Madness event.  If you did better than me,  did any of the guys look "studly" from a basketball perspective?
Embrace the pace of the race.
Bball Fan

National Publication Lindy's Basketball Preseason Magazine has our Men picked 4 th. in their Publication.  Enjoyed the Scrimmage Monday night. Looked like an NBA All Star game defensively though. 

wiu712

Regular-season champions of men's college basketball conferences are no longer guaranteed spots in the NIT, according to a release from the NCAA.

The NIT Board of Managers tweaked its qualifying rules for its postseason tournament Friday, saying regular-season champs who do not win their conference tournament and are not otherwise selected to the NCAA Tournament will not receive an automatic bid to the NIT as they have in previous years.

Now, starting in 2024, the NIT will guarantee entry to two teams from each of the major six conferences based on the NET rankings: the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, and Southeastern.

bignecks

Hate that, especially with the lower tournaments going away. Many of the power conference teams won't go anyway. They're going to end up with a 7 win team some year while conference champs are sitting at home. 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

OVC's ESPN Broadcast schedule: https://goleathernecks.com/news/2023/11 ... edule.aspx
6 regular season OVC games will be on ESPNU (those matchups will be determined a couple weeks before the game), I think most games will be on ESPN+.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000