2023-2024 season

rocki

Dumb question, I know, but do basketball games against bigger schools get a payout like football does?
leatherneckcountry

rocki wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:27 am Dumb question, I know, but do basketball games against bigger schools get a payout like football does?

Yes just not as big 

sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:33 am
rocki wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:27 am Dumb question, I know, but do basketball games against bigger schools get a payout like football does?

Yes just not as big 

I think you also make a few bucks if you play in one the multi-team tournaments around the holidays.  Or at least most of your travel and lodging expenses are covered.

Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:43 am

Yes just not as big 

I think you also make a few bucks if you play in one the multi-team tournaments around the holidays.  Or at least most of your travel and lodging expenses are covered.

So that's why the football paydays are so important, correct?
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:52 am
sealhall74 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:43 am
Yes just not as big 

So that's why the football paydays are so important, correct?

A lot of the payout from NMSU no doubt goes for charter flights to SUU, UND, and NDSU.  Would be interesting to know if each NCAA school has to negotiate that stuff on their own or the NCAA has something set up with carriers to faciltate it.

Embrace the pace of the race.
jtrinaldi

The next two weeks are huge with the head coaching and assistant coaching  carousels at larger schools.  Let’s hope that we can keep coach Boudreau as our HC. 
meganeck

jtrinaldi wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:42 am The next two weeks are huge with the head coaching and assistant coaching  carousels at larger schools.  Let’s hope that we can keep coach Boudreau as our HC. 

I don't think Boudreau would leave he wanted this job pretty bad, since he was a local, but you never know, if anything, maybe leave for an assistant job at a P5 school and only if maybe it was closer to Wisconsin. On the post game shows it sounds like his wife and kids are in still Wisconsin, so they are apart a lot. If I'm wrong on that I apologize.

If anything I am more worried about losing the assistant coaches. I'm sure it wouldn't take much for another school to offer them more that what they are making at WIU.

meganeck

I'm not sure how long someone can be a GA, but it would be nice if they could keep Colton somehow.
jtrinaldi

meganeck wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:15 am
jtrinaldi wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:42 am The next two weeks are huge with the head coaching and assistant coaching  carousels at larger schools.  Let’s hope that we can keep coach Boudreau as our HC. 

I don't think Boudreau would leave he wanted this job pretty bad, since he was a local, but you never know, if anything, maybe leave for an assistant job at a P5 school and only if maybe it was closer to Wisconsin. On the post game shows it sounds like his wife and kids are in still Wisconsin, so they are apart a lot. If I'm wrong on that I apologize.

If anything I am more worried about losing the assistant coaches. I'm sure it wouldn't take much for another school to offer them more that what they are making at WIU.

The family piece is a big one. Coaching leaving for an assistant coaching role at DePaul (pending hire), Marquette, Wisconsin, or one of the other assistant jobs at the big 10 schools with openings would likely triple his salary. Will be an interesting two weeks. 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

jtrinaldi wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:36 pm
meganeck wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:15 am

The family piece is a big one. Coaching leaving for an assistant coaching role at DePaul (pending hire), Marquette, Wisconsin, or one of the other assistant jobs at the big 10 schools with openings would likely triple his salary. Will be an interesting two weeks.

I'm rather worried about this too. When he was talking to the radio crew after the last regular season game, he mentioned that it was difficult because his son is too young to really understand why he had to leave for the week and was just saying "no Macomb" to him when he had to leave. That's a really tough situation.

I wish we could entice his wife to move to Macomb and be our volleyball coach, but she's obviously got a great thing going at Whitewater, and I'm not sure we'd be able to offer her enough to come here beyond being able to spend more time together as a family. That's hugely important, but him getting an assistant job with a bigger school in southern Wisconsin would solve that issue too. I'm kinda surprised he didn't go for the Whitewater HC gig when it was open last year (or maybe he did and just didn't get it). It probably wouldn't have paid quite as much as we do, but it likely wouldn't have been that much less, and there'd be a lot less travel and time away from home for him.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000