Admin Re-Organization

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

WIU officials look for higher recruitment, retention rates with ‘reorganization’.
From WGEM News:
https://www.wgem.com/2023/06/26/wiu-off ... anization/

Tere North

Undergraduate Admissions & Enrollment Services and Retention Initiatives will move to the Division of the Vice President for Student Success, led by Interim Vice President John Smith, and Financial Aid will move to the Division of the Vice President for Finance and Administration, which will be led by Paul Edwards, beginning July 1.

This makes sense, but:

First Year Academic Advising will report to the Provost's office, led by Provost and Academic Vice President Manoochehr Zoghi; while the Center for Career Preparation and Employer Engagement will report to Vice President for Quad Cities Campus Operations Kristi Mindrup.
Why would you dissociate the first-year advisors from the retention efforts of these students?
Why on earth would you move "Career Services" to the QC? That campus predominantly serves already employed part-time students.

When the BOT said bold decisions, they should have clarified, bold and sensible.

WIU Press Release
sealhall74

Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:58 am Undergraduate Admissions & Enrollment Services and Retention Initiatives will move to the Division of the Vice President for Student Success, led by Interim Vice President John Smith, and Financial Aid will move to the Division of the Vice President for Finance and Administration, which will be led by Paul Edwards, beginning July 1.

This makes sense, but:

First Year Academic Advising will report to the Provost's office, led by Provost and Academic Vice President Manoochehr Zoghi; while the Center for Career Preparation and Employer Engagement will report to Vice President for Quad Cities Campus Operations Kristi Mindrup.
Why would you dissociate the first-year advisors from the retention efforts of these students?
Why on earth would you move "Career Services" to the QC? That campus predominantly serves already employed part-time students.

When the BOT said bold decisions, they should have clarified, bold and sensible.

WIU Press Release

Hell of lot more potential employers in the QC than Macomb is one reason I can think of.  Much more convenient to reach out to them from QC.
Embrace the pace of the race.
34blast

Bureaucratic nothing burger.   Rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

I don't have the correct answers,  but WIU needs transformational changes not this.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:30 pm
Hell of lot more potential employers in the QC than Macomb is one reason I can think of.  Much more convenient to reach out to them from QC.

Yes, there are more employers to touch base with in the QC, but "Career Services" is there to help the students, not help the employers.

When they move'd other things up to the QC, its been all QC focused. That's a minuscule number of students up there. 

If your boss in the QC but you are in Macomb, how is the boss going to help the operation do it's job? Or, will the boss decide to move the entire operation up to the QC?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

34blast wrote:Bureaucratic nothing burger.   Rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

I don't have the correct answers,  but WIU needs transformational changes not this.
It was more about getting rid of someone who was actively not listening to what the BOT was telling them needs to happen. If you listen to the most recent BOT meeting you can probably figure out who.

I think this is just a first step towards bigger changes in how scholarships and discounts are awarded that will save the university a substantial amount of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:30 pm
34blast wrote:Bureaucratic nothing burger.   Rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

It was more about getting rid of someone who was actively not listening to what the BOT was telling them needs to happen. If you listen to the most recent BOT meeting you can probably figure out who.

I think this is just a first step towards bigger changes in how scholarships and discounts are awarded that will save the university a substantial amount of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely agreed, Scott. She just wasn't getting the message, yet, she actually thought the meeting went well. 

We don't need that kind of cluelessness overspending, giving huge discounts to literally buy student, etc.

We need innovative ideas instead of excuses.