New Baseball Coach

leatherneckcountry

wiu wrote: Terrible hire in my opinion, especially with the other finalist that was available.  This guy was coaching football for three years and we hire him to coach baseball halfway across the country in a place where he has no connections for recruiting.  The most Western thing that Western could do.

He was coaching baseball at WSU in 2022
leatherneckcountry

I’m not in love with the hire but I don’t hate it either I do wonder why he left WSU. He coached in Kentucky for several years so he does have some Midwest ties

sealhall74

WSU had a head coaching changeover from the 22 to the 23 season.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:07 pm WSU had a head coaching changeover from the 22 to the 23 season.

There coach left after the 23 season he’s go to Wichita State 

sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:10 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:07 pm WSU had a head coaching changeover from the 22 to the 23 season.

There coach left after the 23 season he’s go to Wichita State 

My mistake I just was going to delete that.

Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:28 pm I’m not in love with the hire but I don’t hate it either I do wonder why he left WSU. He coached in Kentucky for several years so he does have some Midwest ties

Not sure if I would consider Kentucky the Midwest. Anyway like I said I think the assistant coaches he hires will be important.

meganeck

wiu wrote: Terrible hire in my opinion, especially with the other finalist that was available.  This guy was coaching football for three years and we hire him to coach baseball halfway across the country in a place where he has no connections for recruiting.  The most Western thing that Western could do.

Care to share who the other finalists was, maybe not the name but what their credentials were
4EverPurple&Gold

1000%

What a dumb hire... this is why WIU Baseball is a joke
bignecks

I don't hate the hire. He was clearly a strong recruiter. He also helped teams improve in hitting almost everywhere he went. Sure, he's from another part of the country, but those same recruiting skills will be used. I think you figure out who lives close and start finding ways to gather up those connections pretty quick when put into a job like this. 
Necks2003

Maybe some Northwestern kids are looking to hit the portal and stay reasonable close to home.