The OVC, now and future

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
pvk7072

Seems WIU fans/posters should have one of these, considering the excitement and potential of a whole new conference home. I'll add my first post after.
pvk7072

Just IMO but this topic -- what the OVC should/could do, r.e. members -- probably should be its own thread. This is likely to be a big topic with WIU fans/posters going forward.

The whole MVFC/MVC/Summit "issue" has heated up somewhat with WIU leaving, as it did with the admission of Murray State to MVC (with arm-twisting to get them into the MVFC), Augustana (S.D.) being rejected by the Summit (but still hopeful?), and St. Thomas being added to the Summit and Pioneer football (for now).

Having closely followed college sports (mainly football & basketball) since the mid-1960s, and also enjoying the world-wide sport of forum speculation, I would tend to a little more of the "possible" than way-out-there dreams.

To that end, I think IllSt and SIU stay where they're at, probably with Murray State since it made its move in 2022. Whether that develops into some combo of MVFC/MVC/Summit, who knows. But some realistic spec for the OVC could be ...

... looking to entice Indiana State and Evansville. The MVFC and Summit have shifted North and West, almost putting IndSt and Evansville on a wing way out East. IMO, neither one has and/or wants to spend the resources to compete with the Dakotas, NIowa and MoSt. Both would easily fit the OVC's geography. All sports for both (Evansville sans football) would be huge for rivalries, and have reasonable travel distances/costs. Consider why WIU found the OVC a better fit.

... keeping an eye on West Georgia, if it moves from DII to FCS in football. Would solidify the southern membership, add another football member and ease some qualms about others leaving the OVC.

This is not criticism of anyone's ideas. Just some stuff that occurred.

pvk7072

screamingeaglepride

pvk7072 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:46 pm Just IMO but this topic -- what the OVC should/could do, r.e. members -- probably should be its own thread. This is likely to be a big topic with WIU fans/posters going forward.

The whole MVFC/MVC/Summit "issue" has heated up somewhat with WIU leaving, as it did with the admission of Murray State to MVC (with arm-twisting to get them into the MVFC), Augustana (S.D.) being rejected by the Summit (but still hopeful?), and St. Thomas being added to the Summit and Pioneer football (for now).

Having closely followed college sports (mainly football & basketball) since the mid-1960s, and also enjoying the world-wide sport of forum speculation, I would tend to a little more of the "possible" than way-out-there dreams.

To that end, I think IllSt and SIU stay where they're at, probably with Murray State since it made its move in 2022. Whether that develops into some combo of MVFC/MVC/Summit, who knows. But some realistic spec for the OVC could be ...

... looking to entice Indiana State and Evansville. The MVFC and Summit have shifted North and West, almost putting IndSt and Evansville on a wing way out East. IMO, neither one has and/or wants to spend the resources to compete with the Dakotas, NIowa and MoSt. Both would easily fit the OVC's geography. All sports for both (Evansville sans football) would be huge for rivalries, and have reasonable travel distances/costs. Consider why WIU found the OVC a better fit.

... keeping an eye on West Georgia, if it moves from DII to FCS in football. Would solidify the southern membership, add another football member and ease some qualms about others leaving the OVC.

This is not criticism of anyone's ideas. Just some stuff that occurred.

The OVC has been interested and wants  Evansville in the OVC but the Administration and UE fans feel UE is to good for the OVC
pvk7072

I accede to your greater knowledge of the Evansville market, also noting that USI enrollment is roughly 4x that of UE. BTW, watched the virtual reality "tour" of your new PAC arena, and it's a real beauty.

One point I made was the whole MVFC/MVC/Summit muddle of issues is a hot mess, and the fallout might somehow benefit the OVC. I read all four xND and xSD fan forums on the issue, noting equal parts displeasure with the whole thing. The traditional MVC public-private issue was aggravated by the 2022 MVC push of Murray State into the MVFC. A few wonder if the Summit might add football (which St. Thomas would probably support).

That hot mess just got hotter ... see the link ... which makes me even more grateful that WIU got out of all that. WIU can now concentrate on building and rebuilding rivalries, readjusting scarce resources, and moving ahead with needed improvements. It will be a marathon, not a sprint, but it can be done.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/north-dako ... astrophic/

BTW, one of the reasons I started this thread was in hopes that WIU fans won't buy into that "WIU is an island" attitude that was largely dumped on it by previous conference member fans. The OVC is "home" now, and its unity, prospects and issues are WIU's. I also promise to shorten my posts (later).

screamingeaglepride

pvk7072 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:50 pm I accede to your greater knowledge of the Evansville market, also noting that USI enrollment is roughly 4x that of UE. BTW, watched the virtual reality "tour" of your new PAC arena, and it's a real beauty.

One point I made was the whole MVFC/MVC/Summit muddle of issues is a hot mess, and the fallout might somehow benefit the OVC. I read all four xND and xSD fan forums on the issue, noting equal parts displeasure with the whole thing. The traditional MVC public-private issue was aggravated by the 2022 MVC push of Murray State into the MVFC. A few wonder if the Summit might add football (which St. Thomas would probably support).

That hot mess just got hotter ... see the link ... which makes me even more grateful that WIU got out of all that. WIU can now concentrate on building and rebuilding rivalries, readjusting scarce resources, and moving ahead with needed improvements. It will be a marathon, not a sprint, but it can be done.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/north-dako ... astrophic/

BTW, one of the reasons I started this thread was in hopes that WIU fans won't buy into that "WIU is an island" attitude that was largely dumped on it by previous conference member fans. The OVC is "home" now, and its unity, prospects and issues are WIU's. I also promise to shorten my posts (later).

Thank you for the kind words about our area. I can see the MVFC disband and Northern Iowa and Missouri State going to the Summit League in football only and Indiana State, Southern Illinois and Illinois State going to the OVC in football only. And Murray State and Youngstown State going to the United Athletic Football Conference or the OVC and also I can see Missouri State ether going to the  Summit League or United Athletic Football Conference. Keep at look out for the University of Indianapolis to join D1 and the OVC. In a little tidbit USI was D1 in men's soccer from 1992 1o 1994 and the coach at the wanted to join the Mid-Continent aka Summit League. Now 30 years latter in 2022 USI is back at D1 in men's soccer and join the Summit League. Two years ago people were saying the OVC is a dying conference the OVC is looking more stable than the Summit League, ASun Conference and the Big South Conference.
bignecks

Our AD said during a baseball broadcast that the summit are "kicking the tires on football again". I'm under the assumption that Western made the move they did with some intentions of dictating how the dominoes fall. That could be trying to recruit the other Illinois/Indiana schools to the OVC or it could be with the hopes of starting a new conference. 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

pvk7072 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:50 pmBTW, one of the reasons I started this thread was in hopes that WIU fans won't buy into that "WIU is an island" attitude that was largely dumped on it by previous conference member fans. The OVC is "home" now, and its unity, prospects and issues are WIU's. I also promise to shorten my posts (later).

I never really thought of us as being "on an island"...it's just that compared to the rest of the Summit League, we were. We're not that far from a decent number of DI schools...within 3 hours of UNI, ILSU, SIUE, Bradley, NIU, and really also Illinois and Iowa, with a number of other DI schools (EIU, SIU, MO State, Drake, all the Chicago schools, etc.) still well within decently drive-able distance.

I'm definitely glad we're in a conference that much more closely aligns to our geography and our size/financial ability like the OVC. Still holding out hope that someday Summit Football (or Snow Belt Conference, or whatever) ends up making the OVC an enticing proposition for schools like ILSU and SIU in football, but even if it doesn't, I feel like this move is going to help us in a number of ways.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
pvk7072

Who might be "kicking the tires" r.e. Summit football is St. Thomas, a Minneapolis school now in the Summit but Pioneer League for football. St. Thomas was fast-tracked by the NCAA in 2020 from DIII to DI. The Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (MIAC) basically kicked them out in 2019 for winning, citing the need for "competitive parity" in the conference.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... icked-miac

Another kick could be that fans and donors of the 4 xSDak and xNDak were/are not happy about the MVC "forcing" them to accept Murray State football in the MVFC, when the MVC added MSU in 2022 (too much to cite; read their forums). St. Thomas went to the Summit, but Pioneer for football. Could it be the MVFC wasn't "available," like it was for Murray State? With St. Thomas in the back yard of the 4 Daks?

With all that, ST_Lawson's opine that Summit football might shake others loose of the MVFC becomes realistic. MoSt has already angled toward FBS somewhat (C-USA flirtation, but fan forums claim MoSt wants the SBC). But Northern Iowa, IllSt and SIUc could go football-only with the Daks+StT to make 8. And they can keep Youngstown State, being almost in Pennsylvania. Don't spread OVC football way out there.

Who does that leave? Indiana State, in a nice spot (travel, similar budget, etc.) to come to the OVC football-only if it wants to stay in the MVC. Murray St. football could come back to the OVC, and also stay in the MVC. And that would make an "OVC 9," perfect for 8 conference and 3 o-o-c games.

screamingeaglepride

I forgot to mention if you leatherneck fans do not know there is a web site called Valleyhoopsinsider.com that focuses on the Missouri Valley Conference and the Ohio Valley Conference