2023 Season

wiu712

Entering Year Two under Myers Hendrickson, Leathernecks primed for better 2023.
From the Quincy Herald-Whig:
https://www.whig.com/sports/entering-ye ... 9a57f.html

letsgonecks

wiu712 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:20 pm Entering Year Two under Myers Hendrickson, Leathernecks primed for better 2023.
From the Quincy Herald-Whig:
https://www.whig.com/sports/entering-ye ... 9a57f.html

Glad they did a story, but man they mangled the hell out of those picture descriptions.  Didn't know the difference between WIU and Minnesota, naming a play who wasn't on the roster last year and having no idea what a 2 point stance is......damn.

Wasn't a ton of insider info, but again, glad they did a piece.  Not saying Bruno can't be the guy and nice to have someone back with FCS starting experience, but really hoping one of the new guys are a legit option.

GV Dad

I was talking with Leatherneck57 the other day.  We are both eternal optimists that look at this team through Purple and Gold glasses, But I really think we will see some improvement this year.  Our schedule is much more favorable than past years.  If we can get off to a good start (3-1 isn't out of the question), and stay away from injuries, could be a fun year.  There are really only 4 playoff caliber teams in conf this year, and we don't play 2 of them.  Not saying a playoff run, but I think we would all be excited for a 5-6 season.  
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:01 am I was talking with Leatherneck57 the other day.  We are both eternal optimists that look at this team through Purple and Gold glasses, But I really think we will see some improvement this year.  Our schedule is much more favorable than past years.  If we can get off to a good start (3-1 isn't out of the question), and stay away from injuries, could be a fun year.  There are really only 4 playoff caliber teams in conf this year, and we don't play 2 of them.  Not saying a playoff run, but I think we would all be excited for a 5-6 season. 

I would be more than happy with us going 5-6 considering the last few years. I think you're right that 3-1 to start is within the realm of possibility. Last year we took Illinois State to OT and while they won a few more than we did, they were mostly against some "not great" teams (Valpo, EIU, USD, INSU). Lindenwood showed promise, but a good portion of their schedule was not DI, and last year SUU only beat us by 1 TD. If we are as improved as I hope we are, we should stand a decent chance of winning all three games.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

We have to break the habit of stumbling out of the gate.  Last year, UT Martin and S Utah were both winnable games.  Makes practices in Oct much more energetic if we have a couple Dubs in the bank.  
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Article from Prairie State Pigskin: https://prairiestatepigskin.com/2023/08 ... und-in-23/
letsgonecks

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:01 am I was talking with Leatherneck57 the other day.  We are both eternal optimists that look at this team through Purple and Gold glasses, But I really think we will see some improvement this year.  Our schedule is much more favorable than past years.  If we can get off to a good start (3-1 isn't out of the question), and stay away from injuries, could be a fun year.  There are really only 4 playoff caliber teams in conf this year, and we don't play 2 of them.  Not saying a playoff run, but I think we would all be excited for a 5-6 season.  

It will come down to OL and DL.  Minus the blessed by the hand of God elite talent QBs and RBs, most the top guys at those positions in college and the NFL have great blocking.  I feel like we might have some solid guys up front, just hope they gell quickly as a unit.  Real tough to replace the line every year.

On defense, if you can't minimize the run or get any passing pressure with your front 4 or 5, you will lose.  Especially if you struggle to put up points.  I feel pretty good about the potential on this side as well, just hope staff has them prepared each week.

Crazy that we lose OL every year to the FBS, but production has been poor.  Coach gets a pass from last year, but preparation seems to have been a major issue the last few years as we've had talent.

Hoping for big strides by both players and staff.  Could surprise a lot of people this year.  That said, sadly winning 3 to 4 games would probably surprise people.....
jtrinaldi

Living in Minneapolis, this will be my last chance for a reasonable drive for an away game. Debating on foung both the UND game and NDSU games
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Someone over at AGS put together a spreadsheet showing returning production numbers for MVFC, Big Sky, and Southland teams.

Here's the page for WIU (link for full page):

sealhall74

Holy Wow.  Sitting here watching "The Pioneer Woman".  She said she sent her son Todd off to Vermillion in January of this year. I did not know he signed with the Yotes.  The Drummonds could be coming to Macomb in November.  Their roster shows only FR and SO QBs, so he could see some action this year.
Embrace the pace of the race.