Macomb High School first place!

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
Western_101

Macomb Marching Bombers win first place in their division at Morton Invitational.  ;)

Western_101

https://mortonbands.org/invitational/20 ... vitational

Lawson I don't know sht about this stuff. Weren't you a Phantom or was it Mustangs. I enjoy it, kids work their butts off, the weather was great. My son was part of Morton's Soccer thing http://www.mortonunitedfc.com/mortonuni ... Tournament

It got pretty hard to navigate this small town hahaha.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yup, we got back from there around 9:30 or so. Thankfully the radio station that has WIU football is out of Canton/Cuba so I was able to listen to the game the while drive back to Macomb.

My oldest kid is in the guard at Macomb HS. Schools are grouped by their size, but it’s unclear if it’s enrollment of HS or size of band. Macomb (584 enrollment) was 2A and competed against Canton (650), Pekin (1820), and Prairie Central (530, they’re in Fairbury, just a bit southeast of Pontiac). In 2A, Macomb won best auxiliary (color guard/flags), and best winds (that’s brass and woodwinds). Prairie Central won best percussion and best drum majors, but Macomb took 1st overall in 2A.

There were two schools in 3A: Washington (1429) and Minooka (2737). There were also 5 schools in 1A. I guess since Pekin is actually bigger than Washington, but their band was smaller, it must be by size of band.

Anyway, Macomb did really well, even without their last song done (not uncommon…bands had a hard time getting rehearsal time outside when it was pushing 100+ earlier in August.)

For reference, I marched for 4 years at Macomb in the early to mid 90s, then 5 years with the Marching Leathernecks (1996-2000…the best 5-year span in the Leathernecks D1 history…in case anyone is curious as to how I became a fan of WIU football). I also marched for 7 years with drum and bugle corps (like pro-level marching band…but no woodwinds…done during the summer): 2 with a small corps out of the Quad Cities, then 5 with the Dubuque Colts (that’s the corps that was at Western for 3 weeks this past May/June).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000