Hashtag, Embarrassing

rocki

Leathernecks1092 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:19 pm Can we be done with the hashtags? Tradition of Tough? Tradition of what?? I ate a high quality steak three weeks ago that was ten times tougher than this program! Pound The Rock? Pound the what? I've heard this for two years now. We couldn't pound our fist! Most people that refer to pounding the rock, put a strong emphasis on running the ball. Us? Well..... our running game leaves little to be desired. Did anyone think there might be a reason that no other D1 school was interested in Seth Glatz? I wish the kid the best, but I think other schools might have known what they were doing. There's not much more embarrassing than the opposing television announcers making fun of your coach's time management when they are up two touchdowns, getting ready to put the game away. Mind you, this was a game that we were in control of and lost by 20 points!!! Tradition of Tough? This bald, fat guy is already getting tired of sharing my Sunday musings, but I feel like this team might provide me good reason to hop back on, two weeks from tonight. When does basketball start?

Don't forget we have a new head bb coach - Jeter left. How long are you going to give the new guy? :lol:

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:00 am
Leathernecks1092 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:19 pm Can we be done with the hashtags? Tradition of Tough? Tradition of what?? I ate a high quality steak three weeks ago that was ten times tougher than this program! Pound The Rock? Pound the what? I've heard this for two years now. We couldn't pound our fist! Most people that refer to pounding the rock, put a strong emphasis on running the ball. Us? Well..... our running game leaves little to be desired. Did anyone think there might be a reason that no other D1 school was interested in Seth Glatz? I wish the kid the best, but I think other schools might have known what they were doing. There's not much more embarrassing than the opposing television announcers making fun of your coach's time management when they are up two touchdowns, getting ready to put the game away. Mind you, this was a game that we were in control of and lost by 20 points!!! Tradition of Tough? This bald, fat guy is already getting tired of sharing my Sunday musings, but I feel like this team might provide me good reason to hop back on, two weeks from tonight. When does basketball start?

Don't forget we have a new head bb coach - Jeter left. How long are you going to give the new guy? :lol:

Two games. If he doesn't sweep UTSA and SMU in early November, then the entire season is ruined, he should be run out of town, and Christmas is cancelled.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:15 am
rocki wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:00 am

Two games. If he doesn't sweep UTSA and SMU in early November, then the entire season is ruined, he should be run out of town, and Christmas is cancelled.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dogwhisper

Yes, I would assume that we would fire the basketball coach if he didn’t win a game for a year and half
Western_101

A few thoughts, Are Coach Hen's big body's "soft bodies"?  Is our strength and conditioning program on par with peer programs? 

Seth Glatz had the unfortunate timing of having graduated at a time when there was an overabundance of skill players with the extra pandemic year and the portal. Seth is talented and durable. He has tremendous breakaway speed. He is a nimble back that needs a gap to be able to squirt through. If a gap or even a sliver is created he can get to the second level and has pretty good moves, If he gets to the secondary he will often accelerate into what appears to be his trajectory for the marker or the goal line only to plant his foot hard and change his trajectory enough to cause the pursuit angle of  d/backs safety to have to take a few steps to adjust...those lost steps in angle pursuit and his top end speed toward a pylon led to many many touchdowns. 

Seth Glatz is not Herb Donaldson, he is not a 6'2" 240lb bowling ball. He has durability to handle 40 carrys a game. He was probably under recruited because most teams had a skill player like him, he is talented and D-I caliber, maybe not special.  Was he,as a redshirt freshman, supposed to put the team on his back and create something out of nothing?  The Offensive line looks like our biggest liability.  This team is tired in the 4th quarter.
Western_101

I'm embarrassed by our defense.  I'm embarrassed at so so so many missed tackles. Do they not practice full on live to the whistle? Why does this team seem to not be able to wrap up?  Don't lose your feet unless you can wrap up (exception would be, of course, desperation pursuit shoe string tackle). C'mon, lazy diving shit.  Keep your f***ing FEET. If it takes you another yard or two to be able to wrap up the legs well that is the game, that is discipline. So bad at tackling.  This thread is entitled Embarrassing? 

The lack of the ability to play TACKLE football qualifies as embarrassing!
sealhall74

Missing tackles is bad but it seems like for past 3 or 4 years, our DBs have been leading the team in tackles.  That is never a good thing.  LBs need to be front and center in that category.

Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

Western_101 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:03 pm

A few thoughts, Are Coach Hen's big body's "soft bodies"?  Is our strength and conditioning program on par with peer programs? 

Seth Glatz had the unfortunate timing of having graduated at a time when there was an overabundance of skill players with the extra pandemic year and the portal. Seth is talented and durable. He has tremendous breakaway speed. He is a nimble back that needs a gap to be able to squirt through. If a gap or even a sliver is created he can get to the second level and has pretty good moves, If he gets to the secondary he will often accelerate into what appears to be his trajectory for the marker or the goal line only to plant his foot hard and change his trajectory enough to cause the pursuit angle of  d/backs safety to have to take a few steps to adjust...those lost steps in angle pursuit and his top end speed toward a pylon led to many many touchdowns. 

Seth Glatz is not Herb Donaldson, he is not a 6'2" 240lb bowling ball. He has durability to handle 40 carrys a game. He was probably under recruited because most teams had a skill player like him, he is talented and D-I caliber, maybe not special.  Was he,as a redshirt freshman, supposed to put the team on his back and create something out of nothing?  The Offensive line looks like our biggest liability.  This team is tired in the 4th quarter.

Good points.  Glatz is much like Max Norris IMO.  I watched the Norris highlights in HS.  I thought he would put up some big numbers but  like Glatz, there had to be a gap to bust through so he could build up some momentum.  Neither player would win too many races around the edge especially when there is no edge.  lol

rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:10 am Missing tackles is bad but it seems like for past 3 or 4 years, our DBs have been leading the team in tackles.  That is never a good thing.  LBs need to be front and center in that category.

Pardon me if this question sounds ignorant, but are players afraid to tackle anymore? Watching games - not just Western's - it seems that arm tackles are relied on too often. Have they started penalizing what I always considered good tackles? If not, why don't they go for engaging the ball carrier more?
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:49 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:10 am Missing tackles is bad but it seems like for past 3 or 4 years, our DBs have been leading the team in tackles.  That is never a good thing.  LBs need to be front and center in that category.

Pardon me if this question sounds ignorant, but are players afraid to tackle anymore? Watching games - not just Western's - it seems that arm tackles are relied on too often. Have they started penalizing what I always considered good tackles? If not, why don't they go for engaging the ball carrier more?

I think there is a fear of committing a targeting foul.  Also shoulder pads much smaller than they used to be.  Who even wears knee pads these days?
Of course, when you are not as quick as the guy you are trying to tackle, arms is all you have to offer in many cases.