Oct 13 BOT Meeting

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

sealhall74

I do like the idea of a WIU-owned/leased travel bus or two with a lot of purple and gold on it.  I assume they are not cheap to procure and maintain though, especially if the service facility is not close by.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:40 am I do like the idea of a WIU-owned/leased travel bus or two with a lot of purple and gold on it.  I assume they are not cheap to procure and maintain though, especially if the service facility is not close by.

Gently-used charter bus...about 1/4 million each to buy. We'd probably also need to hire someone specifically trained in maintenance and repair, unless we can partner with the city bus system (I don't know what they have in terms of repair facilities or personnel).

With as much bus travel as our teams will be doing OVC, it still might be worth it to buy a couple and use those. You can also wrap them in WIU "flair" so it's not just "Burlington Trailways" or whatever...you see a couple of big purple buses with "Leatherneck Express" or something rolling up to a place.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:59 am
sealhall74 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:40 am I do like the idea of a WIU-owned/leased travel bus or two with a lot of purple and gold on it.  I assume they are not cheap to procure and maintain though, especially if the service facility is not close by.

Gently-used charter bus...about 1/4 million each to buy. We'd probably also need to hire someone specifically trained in maintenance and repair, unless we can partner with the city bus system (I don't know what they have in terms of repair facilities or personnel).

With as much bus travel as our teams will be doing OVC, it still might be worth it to buy a couple and use those. You can also wrap them in WIU "flair" so it's not just "Burlington Trailways" or whatever...you see a couple of big purple buses with "Leatherneck Express" or something rolling up to a place.

Bus facilities are on E. Pierce where McGraw Edison used to be - impressive shop, for sure. Not sure how a partnership would work, but it would definitely be something to look into.