State of the Program- Post Week 7 Edition

Leathernecks1092

As I sit here in my recliner this evening, sipping my beverage from my Leatherneck tumbler, all I can do is smile and shake my head (try to smile anyway). Giving full support to this pretender of a Division 1 program is getting tougher by the minute.  I started my afternoon out by having a conversation with a former Leatherneck Basketball Alum, who started the conversation by saying "Have the Necks really not won a football game in two seasons?". I lowered my head and  grievously replied "you are correct." We stood in amazement for a few seconds and then discussed how excited we are for the Necks to hit the court in a few weeks.

I didn't have the heart to bring up what I witnessed on Friday morning. As I was scrolling through social media I came upon a picture of the Leatherneck Football team with a few youngsters from one of the local elementary schools.  As I looked closer at the picture, I noticed one thing that was a given. A bunch of exuberant young kids that were so happy to have a college football team, surround them.  The second thing I noticed was not exactly a given. One of the Necks found great pleasure in giving his teammate "bunny ears" as the picture was snapped.  As always, I shook my head and thought to myself, " it gets easier by the day to figure out why we cant win college football games." If we think it's funny to do such immature things, do we think the same about getting beat by a 1 win Missouri State team, 48-7? I don't know the exact answer to this but I do know that we aren't only good at embarrassing ourselves on Saturday afternoons, we do a fine job of it on Friday mornings as well.

Do we really have to keep inflating the attendance numbers too? If there were "2,800" people at Hanson Field on Saturday, I may be the next guy to land on the moon." I hosted a small garage party this weekend and had roughly half the people that were in the stands on Saturday. We can blame Danielle Superstar or whatever her name was, JT, Helen Smiley, Dwaine Roache, Larry Derry, Ray "Rock" Hanson or the Rocky Mascot himself, but it's time someone in a current power position tries to do something about this! This is disturbing at best! Once again, this old, bald, fat, ugly, disabled guy isn't very smart, but you don't have to be to figure this out.
dogwhisper

Leathernecks1092 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:17 pm As I sit here in my recliner this evening, sipping my beverage from my Leatherneck tumbler, all I can do is smile and shake my head (try to smile anyway). Giving full support to this pretender of a Division 1 program is getting tougher by the minute.  I started my afternoon out by having a conversation with a former Leatherneck Basketball Alum, who started the conversation by saying "Have the Necks really not won a football game in two seasons?". I lowered my head and  grievously replied "you are correct." We stood in amazement for a few seconds and then discussed how excited we are for the Necks to hit the court in a few weeks.

I didn't have the heart to bring up what I witnessed on Friday morning. As I was scrolling through social media I came upon a picture of the Leatherneck Football team with a few youngsters from one of the local elementary schools.  As I looked closer at the picture, I noticed one thing that was a given. A bunch of exuberant young kids that were so happy to have a college football team, surround them.  The second thing I noticed was not exactly a given. One of the Necks found great pleasure in giving his teammate "bunny ears" as the picture was snapped.  As always, I shook my head and thought to myself, " it gets easier by the day to figure out why we cant win college football games." If we think it's funny to do such immature things, do we think the same about getting beat by a 1 win Missouri State team, 48-7? I don't know the exact answer to this but I do know that we aren't only good at embarrassing ourselves on Saturday afternoons, we do a fine job of it on Friday mornings as well.

Do we really have to keep inflating the attendance numbers too? If there were "2,800" people at Hanson Field on Saturday, I may be the next guy to land on the moon." I hosted a small garage party this weekend and had roughly half the people that were in the stands on Saturday. We can blame Danielle Superstar or whatever her name was, JT, Helen Smiley, Dwaine Roache, Larry Derry, Ray "Rock" Hanson or the Rocky Mascot himself, but it's time someone in a current power position tries to do something about this! This is disturbing at best! Once again, this old, bald, fat, ugly, disabled guy isn't very smart, but you don't have to be to figure this out.

Change will need to happen to move forward, still got a chance against Indiana State but moving to OVC 1-21 or 0-22 over the last two seasons isn’t something the current head coach can overcome at this point IMO

wiu712

The scoreboard portion of the video board is extremely small.  The area high schools have larger scoreboards.

It appears that we are using a scoreboard that was meant to be used inside a gym.  It is much too small to be used in an outdoor football setting.

sealhall74

Stay the course through the first year of OVC play and then survey the terrain.  Myers was hired late, his first recruiting class was going to be a wash for sure, probably forced to offer kids with D2 talent at best.  His first full year recruiting class is probably mostly all red-shirts.  I thought it rather strange that Senior Day was held on the very first game of the season.  I suspect we  will see a lot of underclassmen getting a lot of playing time from here on out to evaluate who has some talent going forward. Give the youngsters a chance to prove themselves.  A win would be nice but not the end of the world as long as other goals are met.

Embrace the pace of the race.
4EverPurple&Gold

Said this from the beginning... Myers was not a good hire and it shows. 
dogwhisper

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:33 am Stay the course through the first year of OVC play and then survey the terrain.  Myers was hired late, his first recruiting class was going to be a wash for sure, probably forced to offer kids with D2 talent at best.  His first full year recruiting class is probably mostly all red-shirts.  I thought it rather strange that Senior Day was held on the very first game of the season.  I suspect we  will see a lot of underclassmen getting a lot of playing time from here on out to evaluate who has some talent going forward. Give the youngsters a chance to prove themselves.  A win would be nice but not the end of the world as long as other goals are met.

Out of 22 starters on Saturday, 6 were with the program before MH.  Rest have been brought in by Hendrickson 5 high school players and 11 transfers.  13 senior starters. Redshirting underclassmen is a thing of the past, play them if they can help otherwise they will transfer anyway.  
4EverPurple&Gold

rocki

4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:36 pm https://x.com/WIUfootball/status/171395 ... 08879?s=20

WHY WAS THIS POSTED????????!!!!

I guess you have to take any positives you can??????
bignecks

The state isn't good. But I'm not sure it's worth melodramatic blog posts either. I think OP forgot what it was like to be 19 when we went on about bunny ears. When half of a two win team transferred out we knew this was going to be tough. I still have hope for a win on Indiana State after we looked horrible this week. I want to note that I think Meyers is a good recruiter. He's gotten some good kids into a winless program. I think the O line and D line are the big problems and I don't know what the fix for that is other than continuing to lob different coaches at those positions. 
sealhall74

bignecks wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:54 pm The state isn't good. But I'm not sure it's worth melodramatic blog posts either. I think OP forgot what it was like to be 19 when we went on about bunny ears. When half of a two win team transferred out we knew this was going to be tough. I still have hope for a win on Indiana State after we looked horrible this week. I want to note that I think Meyers is a good recruiter. He's gotten some good kids into a winless program. I think the O line and D line are the big problems and I don't know what the fix for that is other than continuing to lob different coaches at those positions. 

The lines are a major issue that is for sure.  Looking into the future via today's roster, we are VERY thin numbers wise in the DL at the undelrclassmen levels.  That is pretty serious problem to deal with.  Seem to have an abundance of OLs there but I dont know if you can turn an OL guy into a DL guy or even if a kid would want to do that kind of thing.  

Embrace the pace of the race.