State of the Program- Post Week 7 Edition

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:
leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:25 pm
bignecks wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:10 pm The athletic department is planning to fund improvements to the football field in a couple years and you guys are talking about cutting football. Please calm the panic.

Lol we have heard that for 30 years people have stopped falling for that 

The turf is getting a facelift in the next year or so, I think Bubb said that.
Yeah, pretty much have to. Gotta switch to the OVC logo, probably need to replace the eagle-anchor-Rocky logo too. Plus, it’s like 10-11 years old, I think, and turf fields have about a 10-year lifespan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
pvk7072

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:22 pm
pvk7072 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:50 am You also have to consider other effects of dropping football. E.g., I could be wrong, but USI sans football appears to have no marching band. They do have a jazz band, which is probably great for bball etc. Logical, though. Why have a band for a fall parade when you're Homecoming is indoors in early February with MBB/WBB games as the centerpiece? The whole concept of Homecoming -- and participants -- changes without football.

BTW, SIUE does have a "concert band." So I'd imagine the WIU band could perform several times in the new CPA.

Asking ST_Lawson ... how many students are in today's band, and when/where do they perform? Thanks.

Very true...you know I'd hate to see the Marching Leathernecks disappear.

We have quite a few if you're talking about just the number of bands.
Wind Ensemble, Concert Band, and University Band are three different "levels" of your traditional "sit down concert-type band" (Wind Ensemble is the top concert band, University Band is at the other end and is more for non-music majors who played in HS and want to keep playing for fun).
Then there the WIU Chamber Players and WIU Chamber Winds, two "chamber ensembles" (smaller group of musicians...originally meant to be performed in palace chambers or a large room in someone's very nice/large home). There's also the WIU Symphony Orchestra (has string instruments...most of the previously mentioned ones don't)
On the "Jazz" front, we have the top level (Grammy-nominated) Jazz Studio Orchestra, Jazz Band, and Chamber Jazz (smaller group).
There's also more "specific" ensembles, such as the Steel Band, Brass Ensemble, President's International String Quartet, etc.
And finally the Athletic Bands: Marching Leathernecks (who have maybe about 80 or so members currently, I think) and the Pep Band.

The Marching Leathernecks perform at all home football games, for the faculty assembly and Western Welcome/Rocky After Dark at the beginning of the school year, Homecoming parade, and the WIU Marching Band Classic (HS Marching Band Competition...this year, that occurs tomorrow when 31 HS bands come and perform/compete at Hanson Field.

-------------
Up late ( or early) but thanks for the hard work and great info.

pvk7072

I managed some minutes watching WIU on ESPN+, and if anyone thinks this regime is going to make it work, then we weren't watching the same game. OL don't know to turn right or left or how to square up to hold the pocket. QB looks at his intended receiver on every play; only easier tip-off is to just tell the defense who it's going to be. Different sub-groups within the offense do not seem to know the plays or the playbook.

I could go on, but what this tells Amateur Me (after almost 60 years watching and attending CFB games) is that this coaching staff does not know and/or cannot teach the basics as applied in DI football. The result looks a lot like high school, only with bigger players.

This is the first time (and I go back to the Mudra days) when I have actually been embarrassed to acknowledge being a WIU fan. Imagine how the band and cheerleaders feel trying to put some "rah rah" into this mess. And they agreed not to be somewhere else doing something else.

Hendrickson is a football alumnus, and might be the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet. But if Bubb expects the 'Necks to ever draw a decent crowd again -- and let's not even get into $$ for a badly-needed new west grandstand -- a change is needed right after this season. Going into a new conference with football is the perfect time. That should NOT be a reason to sit back and wait to see what happens with new conference opponents.

This ^^ may be the reason some are hinting at just dropping it. That number could grow and get serious without some off-season action. Once that happens among people who really care ...

WIU cannot wait through another season of this. And a pretty new turf will not change a thing.

(Apologies for length.)

sealhall74

I had completely forgotten how the ISUb 33 game losing streak came to an end back in 2009.  But here we go again.

https://www.pjstar.com/story/sports/col ... 429880007/

Lowest point in 27 years then?  Hold our beer.

Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

Traveled with the team to NDSU.

Couple of observations.

Strength and conditioning is not the problem. Fundamentals are.

In blocking, we are set way to high. 1 runner ran over 3 of our guys to together.

In tackling, we are reaching an grabbing.

Just the pregame warm ups showed a huge difference in coaching.

NDSU was practicing OL blocking situations starting with the center.

A fundamentally sound team with average skills can beat a non-fundamentally sound team.

Too many college coaches believe players - in all sports - come in with sound fundamentals. Sorry, not even close.

This is on the coaching staff!

sealhall74

Tere wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:14 am Traveled with the team to NDSU.

Couple of observations.

In blocking, we are set way to high. 1 runner ran over 3 of our guys to together.

A fundamentally sound team with average skills can beat a non-fundamentally sound team.

Too many college coaches believe players - in all sports - come in with sound fundamentals. Sorry, not even close.

I will take quickness over sound fundamentals.  Can't coach it.  Must recruit it.  And it applies to every position on the field.

4EverPurple&Gold

Couple of observations.

This is all you need to know.... 

sealhall74

Four games left.  You can play all the young kids without burning a red-shirt.  That is what I would do.  Not about winning games any more.  It is about evaluating the talent you have. 
dogwhisper

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:41 pm Four games left.  You can play all the young kids without burning a red-shirt.  That is what I would do.  Not about winning games any more.  It is about evaluating the talent you have. 

What young guys do you want to see out there? Most  of the 1&2 year guys are playing, only two I can think of that I would like to see play are RB Van and OL Hansen, the rest are either playing or are walk on type kids from what I see.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:54 am

Couple of observations.

I will take quickness over sound fundamentals.  Can't coach it.  Must recruit it.  And it applies to every position on the field.

Quick to contact but unable to block/tackle. Nope, don't think I'll take quickness.