Myers Hendrickson 2024

Shall Western Illinois University retain Myers Hendrickson for 2024 season?

Retain Coach Hendrickson
29%
Do not retain Coach Hendrickson
71%

Total votes: 17
WIU2DC

I don’t care who we hire as long as we win some football games and they stick around for a few years to get our program back on track. I was really excited for Hen as I figured he’d stick around for a long time since he went to MHS and played for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let’s Go Western!

Well, I’m sure there are at least 12-14 of you dancing a jig right now.  You got what you wanted.  However, nothing in the landscape has changed for WIU football.  There’s still the fact that WIU football has poor facilities and a dilapidated stadium. Can’t even pay for concessions with a card, it’s cash only!  😂  In 2023!  There’s still the fact that WIU football couldn’t compete against the first string of any of the teams we’ve played in the last 4-5 years.  There’s still the fact that WIU football coaches salaries are low.  There’s still the fact that WIU football will have to deal with the portal every year and there’s still the fact that WIU football has NO NIL fund to go out and “buy” elite players like the other top ranked FCS and FBS schools do.  There’s still the fact that Macomb, Illinois, is NOT an attractive location to draw elite players.  There’s still the fact that the state of Illinois is virtually bankrupt and there’s no money for the state universities.  So, all of you keyboard warriors successfully trash talked a MHS and a WIU Alum, not to mention a good man and his family into the ground, essentially giving him 1 year to turn around a “sh*t show”.  (First year doesn’t count because he had to build a staff and an entire roster from true freshman and a few returning starters. Maybe 50 returners???  PLUS raise money for football related items) Most of us have NO IDEA about the internal challenges due to financial constraints.  I’ve heard some things that make this fan just want to throw up my hands in disbelief and disgust.  So, you screamed loud enough and the A.D. heard you, however, there’s always more to the story.  I suspect the head coach position at WIU is fraught with challenges that other schools do not encounter.  We’ll see what the OVC has in store for Leatherneck Football.  You got what you wanted.  Now, keep your mouths shut next season and support the next coach and his staff.  It’s not going to be a cakewalk, the big challenges that were at WIU when Myers Hendrickson arrived are still looming and lurking behind the scenes and will hit the next staff upside the head!  
leatherneckcountry

Let’s wrote: Well, I’m sure there are at least 12-14 of you dancing a jig right now.  You got what you wanted.  However, nothing in the landscape has changed for WIU football.  There’s still the fact that WIU football has poor facilities and a dilapidated stadium. Can’t even pay for concessions with a card, it’s cash only!  😂  In 2023!  There’s still the fact that WIU football couldn’t compete against the first string of any of the teams we’ve played in the last 4-5 years.  There’s still the fact that WIU football coaches salaries are low.  There’s still the fact that WIU football will have to deal with the portal every year and there’s still the fact that WIU football has NO NIL fund to go out and “buy” elite players like the other top ranked FCS and FBS schools do.  There’s still the fact that Macomb, Illinois, is NOT an attractive location to draw elite players.  There’s still the fact that the state of Illinois is virtually bankrupt and there’s no money for the state universities.  So, all of you keyboard warriors successfully trash talked a MHS and a WIU Alum, not to mention a good man and his family into the ground, essentially giving him 1 year to turn around a “sh*t show”.  (First year doesn’t count because he had to build a staff and an entire roster from true freshman and a few returning starters. Maybe 50 returners???  PLUS raise money for football related items) Most of us have NO IDEA about the internal challenges due to financial constraints.  I’ve heard some things that make this fan just want to throw up my hands in disbelief and disgust.  So, you screamed loud enough and the A.D. heard you, however, there’s always more to the story.  I suspect the head coach position at WIU is fraught with challenges that other schools do not encounter.  We’ll see what the OVC has in store for Leatherneck Football.  You got what you wanted.  Now, keep your mouths shut next season and support the next coach and his staff.  It’s not going to be a cakewalk, the big challenges that were at WIU when Myers Hendrickson arrived are still looming and lurking behind the scenes and will hit the next staff upside the head!  

No one said Myers wasn’t a good guy and no one said it was going to be easy. I could have handled another winless year had we shown some improvement but he lost the team after the Lindenwood game and there was no improvement after that. I’m usually a guy should get 3 years but when we somehow had gotten much worse half way through season 2 a change was needed. He just wasn’t ready to be a D1 coach yet. It was a bad hire from a bad AD. EIU has similar issues and there coach just won 8 games in his second season and he came into a horrible situation as well 

vatusay

Let’s wrote: Well, I’m sure there are at least 12-14 of you dancing a jig right now.  You got what you wanted.  However, nothing in the landscape has changed for WIU football.  There’s still the fact that WIU football has poor facilities and a dilapidated stadium. Can’t even pay for concessions with a card, it’s cash only!  😂  In 2023!  There’s still the fact that WIU football couldn’t compete against the first string of any of the teams we’ve played in the last 4-5 years.  There’s still the fact that WIU football coaches salaries are low.  There’s still the fact that WIU football will have to deal with the portal every year and there’s still the fact that WIU football has NO NIL fund to go out and “buy” elite players like the other top ranked FCS and FBS schools do.  There’s still the fact that Macomb, Illinois, is NOT an attractive location to draw elite players.  There’s still the fact that the state of Illinois is virtually bankrupt and there’s no money for the state universities.  So, all of you keyboard warriors successfully trash talked a MHS and a WIU Alum, not to mention a good man and his family into the ground, essentially giving him 1 year to turn around a “sh*t show”.  (First year doesn’t count because he had to build a staff and an entire roster from true freshman and a few returning starters. Maybe 50 returners???  PLUS raise money for football related items) Most of us have NO IDEA about the internal challenges due to financial constraints.  I’ve heard some things that make this fan just want to throw up my hands in disbelief and disgust.  So, you screamed loud enough and the A.D. heard you, however, there’s always more to the story.  I suspect the head coach position at WIU is fraught with challenges that other schools do not encounter.  We’ll see what the OVC has in store for Leatherneck Football.  You got what you wanted.  Now, keep your mouths shut next season and support the next coach and his staff.  It’s not going to be a cakewalk, the big challenges that were at WIU when Myers Hendrickson arrived are still looming and lurking behind the scenes and will hit the next staff upside the head!  

While I agree with every single disadvantage you listed, as said by last poster, there was absolutely zero ZERO improvement. In any facet of the game. Is coach a top notch human being? Of course. No one is questioning his character. I thought it was a questionable hire but I had hope. It just didn’t work out and sometimes that’s just how she goes. WIU and Macomb used to be a huge draw for high school graduates and athletes. But that died with the overreaction to the 2008 wheeler street block party by the city/university. You combine that with jack Thomas at the helm and you have a tag team duo that would kneecap any directional school in the state. You will never change my mind otherwise. 

let’s just hope Bubb can make as solid of a hire as the last time a Hendrickson was relieved of his duties (bob). I think you will see the ramifications of moving to the OVC immediately in the candidate pool. I know the university will save in travel but unless they use said savings to offer more to potential candidate I see it as a net negative move.  The MVFC at least kept us on the map.  
#ALLIN #YOLO
4EverPurple&Gold

He was bad at his job... never said anything about who he is a man nor would I attack his family. Please show the group where that happened. WIU is a tough job so I will never not give him credit for taking on the challenge. 

Even though we went winless there was some reasons why I think he was not fit for the job because how we lost two games:  Youngstown State last year - Up by 10 with 3:09 left and how we lost to Lindenwood this season - Up by 17 at halftime. I think the big thing was that we weren't seeing progress from year 1 to year 2. Also I heard that there wasn't any accountability in the program too. 

I think going into a new era and conference we need a fresh start.

As an alum and someone who gives back, I will always voice my opinion.
rocki

Dancing a jig? Are you crazy? We ALL wanted him to be successful!!!! Unfortunately, that didn't happen. It has nothing to do with his character, his family, or anything other than his inability to coach these players to one single win in two seasons. Everyone wishes him the best going forward.

dogwhisper

4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:20 am

He was bad at his job... never said anything about who he is a man nor would I attack his family. Please show the group where that happened. WIU is a tough job so I will never not give him credit for taking on the challenge. 

Even though we went winless there was some reasons why I think he was not fit for the job because how we lost two games:  Youngstown State last year - Up by 10 with 3:09 left and how we lost to Lindenwood this season - Up by 17 at halftime. I think the big thing was that we weren't seeing progress from year 1 to year 2. Also I heard that there wasn't any accountability in the program too. 

Agreed, new head coach needs to be able to bring in a strength coach

WIU2DC

https://x.com/mattscalici/status/172606 ... 71587?s=46

From Twitter and I didn’t check the source but we can do it too. We just need the right folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let’s Go Western!

4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:20 am

Although this ship has sailed, I will answer the question about where in this forum has anyone disparaged Coach Hendrickson and his family.  I read some posts in this thread a few pages back when the discussion was about Coach Hendrickson’s contract and salary and the fact that his wife was also employed at the University and there was a reference to his father as well.  Something to the extent of “like father like son” and a 3 way deal due to the fact that his wife worked at WIU and his father was on the coaching staff with him as well. The tone was snarky and disrespectful.  I’m not going to go back through every thread to quote the quotes.  Coach Hendrickson’s wife and her employment should be off limits. Those comments Just really irked me all the way around. I am very confident that Coach Hendrickson and his family will put this awful experience behind them and they’ll land somewhere that will be a great resume building experience.  Godspeed to them all.  They’re really good people.  I personally think WIU AD made the wrong decision, should have given he and his staff a shot to develop in the OVC. However, it is what it is. Blessings to the Hendrickson’s, I wish them all the best and I hope the scars from this experience heal quickly.  It’s gotta be rough to have your Alma Mater turn against you.  I also hope that WIU Football does well in the OVC.