If the Necks lose out, what is the next step?

4EverPurple&Gold

Let's just say that we lose the rest of the season... what do you belive we should or should be done with the coaching staff? 

Last edited by 4EverPurple&Gold on Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sealhall74

Before a single player or coach is cut loose, we need a social media post of that "bundle of kindling" so we can all debate the meaning of it like we did back in 2015. That was when Bob Nielson left, right?  Oh, if Bob only got those facilities he was promised, by was it Tommy Bell?, we would not be where we are now. 

This is fixable but it wont be easy.  I think to keep coaches and players, some realistic promises have to made AND KEPT.  Assuming we want to keep a few around.

Yesterday I was bored and put together a CONFERENCE WINS by year list for our last 5 HCs,  Nielson was by far the cream of the crop. And we get the pleasure of playing him at home in the final game of the season.  They might be on the playoff bubble going into that game. 

Mark Hendrickson  3, 0, 5, 1, 1    (He was a part-time HC last couple of years during the Don Patterson health issue, thank you TVA for that fiasco)
Bob Nielson  2,3,5        (Now that is a turnaround if I have ever seen one)
Charlie Fisher 3,5         (Nice coattails off of Bob)
Jared Elliott   4, 1, 1, 2    (Well at least we got one more good year of the former HCs guys)
Myers Hendrickson  0, 0*  (* but the year is not done, there is some hope his recruits have the "right stuff")

Embrace the pace of the race.
vatusay

We need a Jim Molinari of the football world. 
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

If the Gators lose out?
It's entirely possible if they don't beat Arkansas this weekend. The rest of their slate is at #14 LSU, at #12 Missouri, and home against #4 Florida State. Florida is currently 5-3, Arkansas is 2-6, although ESPN is predicting only a slight advantage for Florida.

Or....maybe that's a typo and you meant Leathernecks. In that case, I don't know that there's much we can do. If we had some big money donors that could buy out everyone's contracts, then sure...everyone out. But we don't have those kinds of donors, and we don't have that kind of money to be eating contracts. Assuming a 5-year, $185k per year contract...we might be able to swing it in the last year or two, but definately not with 3 years left...especially considering we had that $1 mil exit fee (I haven't heard for sure if the OVC was going to help us out with that or not).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:36 am If the Gators lose out?
It's entirely possible if they don't beat Arkansas this weekend. The rest of their slate is at #14 LSU, at #12 Missouri, and home against #4 Florida State. Florida is currently 5-3, Arkansas is 2-6, although ESPN is predicting only a slight advantage for Florida.

Or....maybe that's a typo and you meant Leathernecks. In that case, I don't know that there's much we can do. If we had some big money donors that could buy out everyone's contracts, then sure...everyone out. But we don't have those kinds of donors, and we don't have that kind of money to be eating contracts. Assuming a 5-year, $185k per year contract...we might be able to swing it in the last year or two, but definately not with 3 years left...especially considering we had that $1 mil exit fee (I haven't heard for sure if the OVC was going to help us out with that or not).

The exit fee was cut in half by agreeing to have Men's Soccer remain in the Summit this fall.

I don't see how we can afford NOT to buy out the contract. If we continue down this rabbit hole, there we be no chance for redemption. It will affect as in terms not just of football, but enrollment as well.
sealhall74

What kind of coach (head or even young assistant) would willingly and gladly step into this job right now?  For HCs, I really only see an over the hill coach getting close to retirement.  Sort of a Joe Glenn situation at USD a few years back before Nielson got there.  He went 6-26 in conference over three years. Similar situation to what we have now.  Former grad coming home to try and turn things around.   If I am coming into this job, there would have to be guarantees in my contract regarding dollars and cents allocated to assistant coach salaries, recruiting, and yes, even facilities although that one might be tough to put into some sort of contractual legal verbage.  Would not surprise me if Nielson demanded that in his contract at USD.  Whether it was in his contract or not, he now has 2 new/refurbished facilities to build his program around.

Embrace the pace of the race.
4EverPurple&Gold

Forgot about the MVC exit fee... important factor there. 
rocki

4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:01 pm

Forgot about the MVC exit fee... important factor there. 

I thought the fact that we stayed in the MVFC for this year was to lower the amount. 
Leatherneck57

What’s concerning is when a millionaire and potential big donor for athletics makes a post on Facebook like below. Then his teammates comment and agree with him. We can’t afford for this to happen. We need every donation we can get our hands on.

Attachments
IMG_8537.jpeg
IMG_8537.jpeg (340.48 KiB) Viewed 5610 times
4EverPurple&Gold

Leatherneck57 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:08 pm What’s concerning is when a millionaire and potential big donor for athletics makes a post on Facebook like below. Then his teammates comment and agree with him. We can’t afford for this to happen. We need every donation we can get our hands on.

Wow... this is sad to see.