What Now?... post Indiana State lost

4EverPurple&Gold

Well not sure what to say about this... I watched the full game and was ashamed. The staff clearly can not get it done at the D1 level. Also we don't have the talent either. 

I call on our AD and Board of Trustess to meet and try to negotiate something with Coach Hendrickson about parting ways.

We are a laughing stock. 

I really question if the players even care.  
dogwhisper

No way they can keep him, I’d assume a week from today we will hear an announcement.
sealhall74

The real question is does his young non-portal recruits have what it takes and enough of it to build a program on?  If they do and they still show faith in the coach,  I could see another year in a friendlier environment like the OVC.  Van showed some good things at the RB spot on Sat imo.  Do any of the OL and DL recruits have some potential?  Hard to tell from my vantage point.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Keyser Soze

Not sure I think you will hear an announcement in a week when it is only finishing up year two of a five year contract. Not sure I would be holding my breath for that press release.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:30 am The real question is does his young non-portal recruits have what it takes and enough of it to build a program on?  If they do and they still show faith in the coach,  I could see another year in a friendlier environment like the OVC.  Van showed some good things at the RB spot on Sat imo.  Do any of the OL and DL recruits have some potential?  Hard to tell from my vantage point.

We have seen flashes of talent from a lot of the younger guys, I think. My biggest question is IF they will stick around, and would a new coach/system entice them more, or have they bought completely into the current scenario.  Disregarding the portal, there seem to be several starters that will be graduating or at the end of eligibility, so it would be nice to be able to keep the younger guys who have already worked together (although it seems like there's not a lot of cohesion, to be honest). 
rocki

Another question. I've been watching the Western Illinois Football page on Facebook, and someone said the football team is on academic probation. Is this true, does anyone know?
Rockydog

rocki wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:33 am Another question. I've been watching the Western Illinois Football page on Facebook, and someone said the football team is on academic probation. Is this true, does anyone know?

rocki
Another question. I've been watching the Western Illinois Football page on Facebook, and someone said the football team is on academic probation. Is this true, does anyone know?

Yes, that’s true.  But it has very little to do with the current player’s grades.  It’s based on average GPA over time of anyone who played on the team (even those who flunked out last Fall or Spring), from what I understand. 
Leatherneck57

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:30 am The real question is does his young non-portal recruits have what it takes and enough of it to build a program on?  If they do and they still show faith in the coach,  I could see another year in a friendlier environment like the OVC.  Van showed some good things at the RB spot on Sat imo.  Do any of the OL and DL recruits have some potential?  Hard to tell from my vantage point.

Everyone keeps saying the “friendlier environment of the OVC” or “once we get to the OVC” things will be different. Guys…this isn’t going to be a walk in the park. We need to learn how to win and we haven’t shown any signs of that this season.

With our schedule to start next year we could be 0-25 before playing our 4th out of conference game. What’s concerning is the fact that it was said after the game against Indiana State “that they ran out of gas in the second half”! This can’t happen! Period!

It happened all year long prior to conference play where we didn’t finish the second half the way we played in the first half. Since conference play games are over at halftime except the Indiana State game! 

It will take time for us to be competitive in the OVC and it will be interesting to see how many players hit the portal after this weeks game and next semester. We will most likely be replacing a lot of kids.

We need to learn to play complete games and finish! 

Last edited by Leatherneck57 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
QLotVeteran

1) I think Hendrickson is safe for at least another year.  Like it or not.  Some of the Assistants will likely be replaced.  

2) Grades are an issue.  There were several kids from my understanding who knew they were leaving and tanked their grades (rumors only).  But this was a handful out of a lot of kids.  As they say, "how you do anything is how you do everything."  Maybe this would count as "cause" to be able to remove Coach Hen without buyout, or at least to negotiate a settlement that would be affordable.  Again, don't see it happening.

3) Coach Hen stating they ran out of gas doesn't bode well for the S&C staff; IMO.  There will definitely be scape goats all around this program.  

4) If the AD isn't making a move, he really needs to give a vote of confidence to Coach Hen (not sure how?) so kids being recruited will know their offers are solid.  If Coach is staying, the AD needs to do everything possible to support him.  

rocki

I have no idea whether "the powers that be" are leaning toward dismissal/retention. I DO know Western has to do something to even entice recruits to come here. Can't be our record, because it stinks. We are also "out-facilitied" by tons of other programs. I'd like to know Leatherneck 57's ideas for promos to get things back on track - he seems to have his finger on the pulse of the team.