Head Coaching Search

4EverPurple&Gold

I think we need someone that has been at WIU before and understands what the challenges are. We have to be realistic that if you can win at WIU then other schools with more resources will come calling.

A name that might be a shot in the dark and he might not have any interest at all is Thad Ward. Currently that running backs coach at Illinois.

https://fightingillini.com/staff-direct ... -ward/2020

Was at Western from 2005-10 and was our running backs coach. Since then has been in the Big Ten since 2016 so has some connections there and has been some smaller Group of 5 schools but never been a head coach. 

Last edited by 4EverPurple&Gold on Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

basfan445 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:16 am My semi realistic, yet still a dream hire would be Jason Eck.  He was in Macomb before.  He has done an absolutely amazing job at Idaho.  I could see us reaching out.  Do I think he would be interested?  More than likely not but I believe he would still be the most realistic current FCS head coach candidate for us.

I highly doubt he'd be interested. He's already doing very well at a high-level FCS team with really nice facilities. Remember, they were FBS for a while. They didn't have anything special for an FBS, but compared to FCS, it's a pretty good setup. WIU would not be a step up (or even a step sideways) for him now. Another successful year or two at the helm of Idaho and he'll be G5-bound.

What we're probably looking at is someone in one of the following positions:
  • Successful DII Head Coach - example: Pittsburg State HC Brian Wright
  • Successful FCS Coordinator - look at the OC's of the top offenses in the FCS over the last few years (UIW, Montana State, SDSU, etc.) and
  • Decent G5 Coordinator (good coordinators are moving up to HC positions or high-level positions at P5 schools)
  • Successful G5 position coach (if they have some HC or coordinator experience at some level)
  • Possibly a P5 HC who didn't do well at that level and was let go (and no, we aren't getting Jimbo). Although you probably don't want to take a chance on someone fired for scandal-related reasons (like Mel Tucker or Pat Fitzgerald). You do also run into the issue where people in that category might just want to step back to a coordinator position at the P5 level. Example: former Syracuse HC Dino Babers.
I've got some ideas of who I'd like. Unless there's an outstanding defensive candidate (I'm sure there are some), I'd like a offense-minded coach (like a former OC). I think our defense the last couple of years haven't been horrible, but they've been put in hard positions where they're on the field for a TON of time and get tired (and subsequently end up giving up big plays). Get a coach who can put together an offense that can move the ball and eat up time (or at least pick up a few first downs) so the defense can have a bit of a rest.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:59 am I think we need someone that has been at WIU before and understands what the challenges are. We have to be realistic that if you can at WIU then other schools with more resources will come calling.

A name that might be a shot in the dark and he might not have any interest at all is Thad Ward. Currently that running backs coach at Illinois.

Was at Western from 2005-10 and was our running backs coach. Since then has been in the Big Ten since 2016 so has some connections there and has been some smaller Group of 5 schools but never been a head coach.

I don't think the person neccessarily has to have been at WIU before, but they probably need to be at least somewhat familiar with the location. Someone who's spent time in the MVFC maybe? I'm fully ok with someone who comes in, turns things around in three years and gets poached by a school higher up...if it means we've improved significantly.

Thad Ward would be ok, although my one concern would be lack of HC or OC/DC coordinator experience. That means he likely hasn't really done any/much play calling, which I think was an issue with Coach Hendrickson. You'd get into the "heat of battle" when the clock is ticking and you have to come up with a play in a very short amount of time, and would struggle to find something that would work.
sealhall74

Are there any Joe Moglias around who are looking for a career change later in life?  Earn a nice gig for a couple of years and then donate a sizeable  chunk of change (like $15M) to the U for an indoor practice facility or whatever upon leaving?  Given where we are, that would be nice too.

Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:29 am
4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:59 am I think we need someone that has been at WIU before and understands what the challenges are. We have to be realistic that if you can at WIU then other schools with more resources will come calling.

I don't think the person neccessarily has to have been at WIU before, but they probably need to be at least somewhat familiar with the location. Someone who's spent time in the MVFC maybe? I'm fully ok with someone who comes in, turns things around in three years and gets poached by a school higher up...if it means we've improved significantly.

Thad Ward would be ok, although my one concern would be lack of HC or OC/DC coordinator experience. That means he likely hasn't really done any/much play calling, which I think was an issue with Coach Hendrickson. You'd get into the "heat of battle" when the clock is ticking and you have to come up with a play in a very short amount of time, and would struggle to find something that would work.

Dont good coaches always go into a game knowing what plays will be run for specific crucial game-time scenarios and have they not practiced those during the preceding week?  I think play calling is as much art as it is science.  Some are good at it, others suck.  Like most things in life, only about 5 percent excel at it.
Embrace the pace of the race.
dogwhisper

Thad Ward and Jason Eck are not coming to WIU under any circumstance
4EverPurple&Gold

dogwhisper wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:03 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:19 am Everyone is mentioning offensive coaches I thought I might throw a defensive guy in https://ohiobobcats.com/sports/football ... winsky/363

Theirs no way we can get a MAC coordinator, difference in salary and level is too great.  Somebody like Gary Bass or Jeff Thorne would be ideal

I hope we don't hire Gary Bass... that would be a Hendrickson 2.0 

Gary Bass at Quincy
2017: 3-8
2018: 4-7
2019: 5-6
2020: 0-2
2021: 4-7
2022: 4-7
2023: 6-5

leatherneckcountry

4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:07 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:19 am Everyone is mentioning offensive coaches I thought I might throw a defensive guy in https://ohiobobcats.com/sports/football ... winsky/363

Theirs no way we can get a MAC coordinator, difference in salary and level is too great.  Somebody like Gary Bass or Jeff Thorne would be ideal

I hope we don't hire Gary Bass... that would be a Hendrickson 2.0 

Gary Bass at Quincy
2017: 3-8
2018: 4-7
2019: 5-6
2020: 0-2
2021: 4-7
2022: 4-7
2023: 6-5

Paul is more competent than the last AD he isn’t hiring Bass 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

If you're getting someone from a lower level, you want someone who has been absolutely dominant. Bass is not that. Thorne, however, would be good. From Wheaton, IL, played at EIU, HC at North Central from 2015-2021 where he went 66-10 overall, made the playoffs every year after the first, won the 2019 DIII championship and was runner-up in 2021. Was OC at Western Michigan in 2022, but the HC there was fired after that year and the rest of the coaching staff was let go. Idk what he did this season, but it looks like he's not currently coaching anywhere. His son is a FBS QB, played for 3 years at Michigan State (had a really good year in 2021) and this season at Auburn. So maybe Jeff took a season off from coaching to watch his son play in the SEC.
Rockydog

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:51 pm

If you're getting someone from a lower level, you want someone who has been absolutely dominant. Bass is not that. Thorne, however, would be good. From Wheaton, IL, played at EIU, HC at North Central from 2015-2021 where he went 66-10 overall, made the playoffs every year after the first, won the 2019 DIII championship and was runner-up in 2021. Was OC at Western Michigan in 2022, but the HC there was fired after that year and the rest of the coaching staff was let go. Idk what he did this season, but it looks like he's not currently coaching anywhere. His son is a FBS QB, played for 3 years at Michigan State (had a really good year in 2021) and this season at Auburn. So maybe Jeff took a season off from coaching to watch his son play in the SEC.

DIII - no thank you!  Not any better than Hen coming from NAIA.