Head Coaching Search

4EverPurple&Gold

Well if you didn't see the news yet, Coach Hendrickson has been fired. I am glad Bubb made the move, I am tired of where our program was at and this is why I think Bubb will be a good AD for WIU.

Starting this thread to discuss possible candidates and any info we here on the coaching search.

leatherneckcountry

Maybe Dino Babers would be interested lol
leatherneckcountry

I hope Paul pounds the candidates about the line the last 3 coaches either didn’t care or simply were incapable when it came to building an even avg line 
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:57 pm I hope Paul pounds the candidates about the line the last 3 coaches either didn’t care or simply were incapable when it came to building an even avg line 

Strong correllation between the number of jet sweeps called and ineptness up front.  I learned that from Charlie Fisher.   :lol:

I nominate my fellow Alexisite and IL HS Football Hall of Famer Tim Lafferty for the job.  Should have listened to me the last time.

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:07 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:57 pm I hope Paul pounds the candidates about the line the last 3 coaches either didn’t care or simply were incapable when it came to building an even avg line 

Strong correllation between the number of jet sweeps called and ineptness up front.  I learned that from Charlie Fisher.   :lol:

I nominate my fellow Alexisite and IL HS Football Hall of Famer Tim Lafferty for the job.  Should have listened to me the last time.

Lafferty have any college HC experience or FBS Coordinator experience? I don't want to see anyone who hasn't done at least some gameplay calling and recruiting at at least the D2 level.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:32 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:07 pm

Lafferty have any college HC experience or FBS Coordinator experience? I don't want to see anyone who hasn't done at least some gameplay calling and recruiting at at least the D2 level.

None whatsoever that I know of.  He has been called in to WIU to give a coaching clinic.

leatherneckcountry

Big question will we have a new coach before 2024
sealhall74

Could we be the first to hire a female HC?

https://thetransferportalcfb.com/highli ... -football/

My concern with a "conventional hire" is that the candidate pool will be very weak given our current resources.

But hire a female as HC, your pool for assistant coaches suddenly becomes much better because we will be on the national radar and  who does not like good publicity.  Assuming we can offer them a decent wage, of course.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I don't have any idea what our potential candidate pool looks like, but here's a guy who would be probably my ideal "attainable" candidate: Brian Wright (current HC at DII Pittsburg State)
Originally from Ohio...in the last 20 years was OC/QB coach at Youngstown State, Montana State, Florida Atlantic (became interim HC for 4 games there where he went 4-0), Toledo, and finally HC at Pittsburg State in 2020. Pittsburg State does have a history of success before he showed up, having won the DII championship in 2011, but they're 32-7 since he took over, appearing in the DII playoffs in the last two seasons and was MIAA Coach of the Year in 2022: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Wri ... _football)
Wright made $150k at Pitt State last year.

He's had experience at the DII, FCS, and FBS levels, being at least an OC at all of them. He's had three full years of head coaching experience (not counting his 4 games as interim at FAU or the 2-2 COVID season).

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:12 am I don't have any idea what our potential candidate pool looks like, but here's a guy who would be probably my ideal "attainable" candidate: Brian Wright (current HC at DII Pittsburg State)
Originally from Ohio...in the last 20 years was OC/QB coach at Youngstown State, Montana State, Florida Atlantic (became interim HC for 4 games there where he went 4-0), Toledo, and finally HC at Pittsburg State in 2020. Pittsburg State does have a history of success before he showed up, having won the DII championship in 2011, but they're 32-7 since he took over, appearing in the DII playoffs in the last two seasons and was MIAA Coach of the Year in 2022: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Wri ... _football)

He's had experience at the DII, FCS, and FBS levels, being at least an OC at all of them. He's had three full years of head coaching experience (not counting his 4 games as interim at FAU or the 2-2 COVID season).

This should definitely be the blue print.  Experience as a FBS Coordinator, and some exposure to FBS HC.  As well as some success at the D2 level.  Pitt State is a big time D2 program for those that don't know.  A lot of $$, a lot of pressure to win.   Ave around 8,000 attendance per game.