Transfers

Rockydog

I saw a couple of current players entered the portal today.  QB Matt Morrissey was one of them.
rocki

Rockydog wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:38 pm I saw a couple of current players entered the portal today.  QB Matt Morrissey was one of them.

Ugh. I liked him.
34blast

We need to find our next coach and get busy in the portal.   We need good teaching coaches and an influx of talent right away.
vatusay

Well that sucks, but I don’t blame him. 
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

34blast wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:49 pm We need to find our next coach and get busy in the portal.   We need good teaching coaches and an influx of talent right away.

Doesn't mean Morrisey is gone, just means he's looking around for options. De La Cruz entered the portal last year, then changed his mind and came back. Very few players are going to jump in the portal and commit to another school right away. I'd rather we take our time and get the right coach than rush the process and get someone who is going to keep us on the same road.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Rockydog

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:45 pm
34blast wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:49 pm We need to find our next coach and get busy in the portal.   We need good teaching coaches and an influx of talent right away.

Doesn't mean Morrisey is gone, just means he's looking around for options. De La Cruz entered the portal last year, then changed his mind and came back. Very few players are going to jump in the portal and commit to another school right away. I'd rather we take our time and get the right coach than rush the process and get someone who is going to keep us on the same road.

I don’t think Delacruz changed his mind. I’m fairly certain he didn’t get any other options (other than a PWO) so he stayed.  While the last coaching staff allowed it, my understanding is most would not.  Once you’ve announced publicly that you no longer want to be there, it’s probably best you leave.

Most kids entering the portal at this point in the year are trying to move at semester, so I do think they will be committing quickly where they can.  

I completely agree that I’d rather us take our time and get the right Coach.

Rockydog wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:47 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:45 pm

I don’t think Delacruz changed his mind. I’m fairly certain he didn’t get any other options (other than a PWO) so he stayed.  While the last coaching staff allowed it, my understanding is most would not.  Once you’ve announced publicly that you no longer want to be there, it’s probably best you leave.

Most kids entering the portal at this point in the year are trying to move at semester, so I do think they will be committing quickly where they can.  

I completely agree that I’d rather us take our time and get the right Coach.

In addition, it is my understanding that your scholarship automatically ends (at the semester) when entering the portal. A new coach would have to re-offer and the amount of scholarship could be less than they had. It is a really chaotic gamble.
meganeck

I see Morrisey posted he got an offer from Illinois St.

I know their is a chance he could still come back, but I would be shocked if he came back.
wiu712

WIUS Radio is reporting that Matt Morrissey has received an offer from Southern Utah.

WIU2DC