Welcome to Macomb Coach Davis!!

sealhall74

He mentioned wanting players worthy of a full-ride scholly.  Is that going to be a policy change from the past - more players getting full-rides instead of partials?  I think it makes some sense if you cant offer up much in NIL incentive or cost of attendance dollars.

Embrace the pace of the race.
4EverPurple&Gold

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:16 pm
4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:01 pm
meganeck wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:36 pm

i wonder who was even there to ask questions. I'm sure TV guys were there but not sure if they ask questions, usually seem to wait to do that in their one on one interview. Then probably Bohenkamp,formerly of the Burlington Hawkeye, was there. Not sure who else really covers WIU athletics.

I agree... the questions were kind of ehh and nothing worth wild.

Our media coverage now a days is bad and doesn't exist. Does the student paper even exist anymore??? 

The Western Courier that we all loved and adored is apparently rebranded by the Department of [mostly] Broadcasting and [little] Journalism to something called The Proxy Report  but it has little orginal WIU student input that I can see.  The English department has something going called  The Mirror and the Lamp but the light there appears to fading a bit over time as well.  The social media craze has virtually destroyed the need for truly responsible and accurate journalism in this country.  

Not a single story about Coach Davis.... or any WIU sports story since Oct. 10 about the new gym floor. 
wiu712

New Leatherneck football coach: ‘A tradition of excellence’ at WIU.
From Tri-States Public Radio, WIUM-FM:
https://www.tspr.org/tspr-local/2023-12 ... nce-at-wiu

leatherneckcountry

QLotVeteran

meganeck wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:37 am So what does anybody think of him mentioning they have had success getting transfers from the lower levels, I was kinda surprised to here that, but I guess there are good players at every level. It has worked for the basketball team I guess. 

I love it!  Much rather have kids that were standouts at the D2 level that were either late bloomers, under recruited or worked hard and built themselves into good football players.  My other team, KU, had a D2 OL transfer in 2 seasons ago from UCM.  He was first team all Big 12 LT this season and will likely be a drafted in the first 3 rounds.  There are some studs in d2.  

NewNeck

New coach has created quite the buzz. Lots of old necks & new necks fired up. Pi Kappa Phi group thread blowing up. 
NewNeck

:D

Rockydog

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:29 pm He mentioned wanting players worthy of a full-ride scholly.  Is that going to be a policy change from the past - more players getting full-rides instead of partials?  I think it makes some sense if you cant offer up much in NIL incentive or cost of attendance dollars.

Wonder how the current players who are mostly 50% or less are feeling about that…

rocki

Rockydog wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:18 am
sealhall74 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:29 pm He mentioned wanting players worthy of a full-ride scholly.  Is that going to be a policy change from the past - more players getting full-rides instead of partials?  I think it makes some sense if you cant offer up much in NIL incentive or cost of attendance dollars.

Wonder how the current players who are mostly 50% or less are feeling about that…

Not being an athlete, I can only guess. How many "full-riders" would we be losing to grad or whatever? Is there a possibility that someone who is 50% or less could pick up one of those schollies? I don't know that he is saying the ones on less than full scholarships aren't worthy, although it could be interpreted that way. I would think someone who wants to play ball badly enough that they would do a less than full ride $$$$ wise would be a type you would want, provided they are hungry to play. But what do I know?

sealhall74

rocki wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:05 pm
Rockydog wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:18 am

Not being an athlete, I can only guess. How many "full-riders" would we be losing to grad or whatever? Is there a possibility that someone who is 50% or less could pick up one of those schollies? I don't know that he is saying the ones on less than full scholarships aren't worthy, although it could be interpreted that way. I would think someone who wants to play ball badly enough that they would do a less than full ride $$$$ wise would be a type you would want, provided they are hungry to play. But what do I know?

My 2 pennies is that you want your studly playmakers always good enough to be worthy of a full-ride.  That should entice the better HS kids to come and play for your and it should be incentive for those "less-studly" already on-board guys to work harder in the weight room, class room, ... and earn one.  I also know there are lots of creative avenues other than just athletic scholarship dollars to help fund a kid's education, so it is kind of complicated process allocating athletic scholarships.

Embrace the pace of the race.