Welcome to Macomb Coach Davis!!

meganeck

QLotVeteran wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:00 pm
meganeck wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:37 pm I'm assuming he didn't announce any staff additions

No, said he was going to be patient and deliberate with the search.  Did mention how Coach Krecz did a great job holding down the job as interim.  

I don't know how good of a college coach he is, I know he was a good high school coach and I know he bleeds purple and gold, plus everything he did to hold things together, I hope he has a spot on the current staff.

meganeck

QLotVeteran wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:14 pm Wish there was some way to ask questions in the stream.  The reporters that were there were pretty lame.  

He was pretty high energy, that was nice to see. Were the media people told they could only ask one question each, that was kinda weird. Although I assume each one will probably do an one on one with him.

sealhall74

I was impressed. If he can find some assistants with as much passion for the game and welfare for the players as he displayed, we should be in good shape.  As for recruiting players, I think like personalities attract, so that might work out well too.

Embrace the pace of the race.
4EverPurple&Gold

meganeck wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:36 pm
QLotVeteran wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:14 pm Wish there was some way to ask questions in the stream.  The reporters that were there were pretty lame.  

i wonder who was even there to ask questions. I'm sure TV guys were there but not sure if they ask questions, usually seem to wait to do that in their one on one interview. Then probably Bohenkamp,formerly of the Burlington Hawkeye, was there. Not sure who else really covers WIU athletics.

I agree... the questions were kind of ehh and nothing worth wild.

Our media coverage now a days is bad and doesn't exist. Does the student paper even exist anymore??? 

sealhall74

4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:01 pm
meganeck wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:36 pm

i wonder who was even there to ask questions. I'm sure TV guys were there but not sure if they ask questions, usually seem to wait to do that in their one on one interview. Then probably Bohenkamp,formerly of the Burlington Hawkeye, was there. Not sure who else really covers WIU athletics.

I agree... the questions were kind of ehh and nothing worth wild.

Our media coverage now a days is bad and doesn't exist. Does the student paper even exist anymore??? 

The Western Courier that we all loved and adored is apparently rebranded by the Department of [mostly] Broadcasting and [little] Journalism to something called The Proxy Report  but it has little orginal WIU student input that I can see.  The English department has something going called  The Mirror and the Lamp but the light there appears to fading a bit over time as well.  The social media craze has virtually destroyed the need for truly responsible and accurate journalism in this country.  

wiu712

Personal Fire and Offensive Fire Power: New WIU Football Coach Joe Davis Makes Charismatic Campus Debut.
From KHQA-TV:
https://khqa.com/sports/content/persona ... mpus-debut#

WIU2DC

Everything I’ve read about our new HC gives me hope. He seems like every where he’s gone they’ve gotten better and their offense puts up numbers. Does anyone know how long his contract is for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
meganeck

So what does anybody think of him mentioning they have had success getting transfers from the lower levels, I was kinda surprised to here that, but I guess there are good players at every level. It has worked for the basketball team I guess. 
sealhall74

meganeck wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:37 am So what does anybody think of him mentioning they have had success getting transfers from the lower levels, I was kinda surprised to here that, but I guess there are good players at every level. It has worked for the basketball team I guess. 

Some late bloomers (e.g. Brandon Gilbeck) dont realize their true athletic potential in life until well after their HS years.  They might have the size but lack the coordination to get every body part functioning as an effective whole.  Gilbeck had the ability to run like a deer after a couple years at WIU.  IIRC, he had some soccer in his background.  It looks like he is continuing to improve his game.  So if a coach can identify athletic potential rather than current prowess, he is one up on most of the other coaches in the business.

wiu712

Change of Direction: Joe Davis introduced as new Head Football Coach for Western Illinois.
From WGEM-TV:
https://www.wgem.com/2023/12/14/change- ... -illinois/