New Coaches

Rockydog

https://footballscoop.com/news/western- ... -joe-davis

so this is interesting.  No disrespect to Coach Krez but I don’t see how he was promoted.  Prior to joining WIU he was a HS Coach (in class 2 😳, so not even a big school) and he’s been been helping run their defense that seemed to get worse from the time he got there.  Wild times….
rocki

Rockydog wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:45 pm https://footballscoop.com/news/western- ... -joe-davis

so this is interesting.  No disrespect to Coach Krez but I don’t see how he was promoted.  Prior to joining WIU he was a HS Coach (in class 2 😳, so not even a big school) and he’s been been helping run their defense that seemed to get worse from the time he got there.  Wild times….

Don't know, but do remember in his interview Coach Davis was impressed with how things had been handled by the interim coach. I would have to trust his judgement, personally.
Rockydog

rocki wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:26 pm
Rockydog wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:45 pm https://footballscoop.com/news/western- ... -joe-davis

Don't know, but do remember in his interview Coach Davis was impressed with how things had been handled by the interim coach. I would have to trust his judgement, personally.

OK, so go off how he handled being an interim HC for a few weeks instead of his 2 year winless record with a defense that did not improve at all under his leadership.  Ummmm, OK.  

rocki

Rockydog wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:31 pm
rocki wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:26 pm

OK, so go off how he handled being an interim HC for a few weeks instead of his 2 year winless record with a defense that did not improve at all under his leadership.  Ummmm, OK.  

Since I have no idea at all what played into his defense being, well, not good, I still think there could be something Coach Davis is seeing that the rest of us can't. Were his hands tied by the former coaching staff? Is he just in over his head? I have no idea. That's why I - until proven different - trust Davis's gut.

bignecks

I don't mind it. He'll be handling the linebackers, which were the part of the defense that did improve under him. I think it's a move to consolidate recruiting. We've seen them sign guys who had offers under Hendrickson and who were previously heavily recruited by EIU. Also, probably helps keep guys here. 
meganeck

I don't have a problem keeping him and honestly I am kinda glad he is staying on. I am a little surprised he will be the assistant head coach, but then again not really sure what that title entails if anything. To blame an inside linebackers coach for the defense not being any good seems like a stretch, but maybe you know more what has gone on than us.

Rockydog

meganeck wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:28 pm I don't have a problem keeping him and honestly I am kinda glad he is staying on. I am a little surprised he will be the assistant head coach, but then again not really sure what that title entails if anything. To blame an inside linebackers coach for the defense not being any good seems like a stretch, but maybe you know more what has gone on than us.

I’m certainly not saying it’s all the inside linebackers coach’s fault that the defense wasn’t any good, (although that’s debatable) but if we aren’t blaming the coaches, then you could literally make that argument for every single other position coach on staff.  They got rid of the rest of them, so I guess I’m just confused about why he is different.  They cleaned house for a reason, so promoting one of them is crazy to me

meganeck

Rockydog wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:37 pm
meganeck wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:28 pm I don't have a problem keeping him and honestly I am kinda glad he is staying on. I am a little surprised he will be the assistant head coach, but then again not really sure what that title entails if anything. To blame an inside linebackers coach for the defense not being any good seems like a stretch, but maybe you know more what has gone on than us.

I’m certainly not saying it’s all the inside linebackers coach’s fault that the defense wasn’t any good, (although that’s debatable) but if we aren’t blaming the coaches, then you could literally make that argument for every single other position coach on staff.  They got rid of the rest of them, so I guess I’m just confused about why he is different.  They cleaned house for a reason, so promoting one of them is crazy to me

Most new coaches clean house, also give me some coaches you want them to hire and I'm sure I can go back into their history and find when they coached for a team when the offense or defense they coached weren't any good. Maybe hes a good recruiter or has good connections I don't know, not a stan for him, but just seems you are placing a lot of blame for a bad defense on an inside linebackers coach.

dogwhisper

Defensive Coordinator is the most important hire coming up, hope we get a good one 
meganeck

I see on the Staff Directory page on the website Karl Mofor is listed as the RB coach.