vs Southeast Missouri

wiu712

WGEM Prediction:   Western Illinois 75, Southeast Missouri State 64

meganeck

SEMO IS 3-10 (overall), 0-2 (conf). Their 3 wins are against Evansville, Harris-Stowe and Stephens College. They lost to Southern Indiana & Morehead St in conference play. SEMO leads the all-time series 9-7.SEMO won their last meeting 63-55 back in December of 2022. The Redhawks are 0-7 on the road so far this season. WIU is 8-0 at home.

Jaliyah Green a Junior and preseason 1st team all conference selection, leads the team in scoring at 14.6 ppg

SEMO was picked to finish 5th in the conference in the preseason poll.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Massey Ratings says a 66% chance of a Leatherneck win, with a predicted score of 72-66: https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=939109300
Massey also has WIU currently #1 in the OVC with #2 TN Martin and #3 TN Tech fairly close behind: https://masseyratings.com/cbw2024/13193
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

SEMO playing a very aggressive and pestering defense resulting in a lot of TOs.  Fortunate to be down only 6 at the half.  If we protect the ball and make the FTs, we pull this one out.
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

SEMO just outplayed us tonite in about every stat category.  Deserved to win it.  

Is is just my ears and/or my computer, but does the stream need a little extra volume?

leatherneckcountry

Looks like something happened to there girl bus behind Dunkin’
Attachments
IMG_0912.jpeg
IMG_0912.jpeg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 1066 times
wiu712

SEMO won 72-66

Raegan McCowan led the Western scoring with 21 points.  She also had 13 rebounds.

Western was 23 of 41 (56%) on Free Throws.

Attendance at Western Hall = 570

meganeck

Free throws killed them, even their good free throw shooters were missing, bad loss, but I guess the win at SIUE kinda evens out now.
Neckfansince71

SEMO ran a 1/3/1 half court trap all night.  You have to be able to knock down the 3's if you are going to challenge this.   I don't really think the ladies ever really reversed the ball which has to happen in order to get the defense on its heels.  In my former life I was forced to address this type of 1/2 court defense, especially against Naperville North and Coach Mark Lindo.  We brought the wing on the ball side freeethrow line extended to keep them from trapping the corner, then we would quickly reverse the ball, or drive and dish.  29 turnovers is the result of forcing the ball inside before creating good ball movement.  We had plenty of shots, and as a friend pointed out, just hitting 60% on free throws would have won the damn thing.  But the 1/3/1 is all about trap and recover on defense.  Its the most vulnerable when the ball is reversed.  But heck, my coaching days were over in 1997 and I have forgotten an awful lot.   ;)
 jc
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:47 am SEMO ran a 1/3/1 half court trap all night.  You have to be able to knock down the 3's if you are going to challenge this.   I don't really think the ladies ever really reversed the ball which has to happen in order to get the defense on its heels.  In my former life I was forced to address this type of 1/2 court defense, especially against Naperville North and Coach Mark Lindo.  We brought the wing on the ball side freeethrow line extended to keep them from trapping the corner, then we would quickly reverse the ball, or drive and dish.  29 turnovers is the result of forcing the ball inside before creating good ball movement.  We had plenty of shots, and as a friend pointed out, just hitting 60% on free throws would have won the damn thing.  But the 1/3/1 is all about trap and recover on defense.  Its the most vulnerable when the ball is reversed.  But heck, my coaching days were over in 1997 and I have forgotten an awful lot.   ;)
 jc

In a nutshell, you dont beat a zone by dribbling the ball.  We were dribbling and fumbling for most of the first half.  One of the players made a good point in the postgame.  You can't simulate that level of athleticism and length in practice with just their roster.  That why some teams (I assume the Necks as well) have a few men on the practice squad to go against on occasion.  .