at Eastern Illinois

wiu712

WGEM Prediction:  Eastern Illinois 69, Western Illinois 68

leatherneckcountry

Can’t even get any respect from our local station 
meganeck

EIu is 8-9 overall, 2-2 OVC, they lost to SIUE & Morehead St and wins against UT Martin & Little Rock. EIU is coached by long time Evansville coach Marty Simmons. The Panthers are led in scoring by Tiger Booker at 13.9 ppg.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Massey says 53% chance of a Leatherneck victory, with a predicted score of 69-68: https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=939085634
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Western wins 63-60

Ryan Myers led the Western scoring with 14 points.  Quinlan Bennett and Jesiah West each had 12 points.

Drew Cisse had 12 Rebounds and 5 Blocks.

Western shot 59% (24 of 41).  Eastern shot 38% (23 of 60).

Western had 19 turnovers (12 in the first half, 7 in the second half) which led to 20 points for Eastern.  Eastern had 4 turnovers which led to 1 point for Western.

Attendance at Eastern Illinois = 1,338

NecksFan1523

A game that we should have won by a lot more, but EIU outscored us 20 - 1 on turnover point opportunities vs we only score 1 point from 4 EIU turnovers. We also did not get nearly as large of a rebound advantage as we have been over the win streak, as it was +10 for the Leathernecks tonight; 34 - 24 on team rebounds. Coach Boudreau even said in the post game interview he felt like we should have lost with all the issues we had this afternoon, but still pulled out the road conference win over a historically rival school. That's a sign of a really solid team; when you can have a "bad" game and still get the W. Really hope the students and community will come out next weekend for their home game with Tennessee State. 
leatherneckcountry

NecksFan1523 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:49 pm A game that we should have won by a lot more, but EIU outscored us 20 - 1 on turnover point opportunities vs we only score 1 point from 4 EIU turnovers. We also did not get nearly as large of a rebound advantage as we have been over the win streak, as it was +10 for the Leathernecks tonight; 34 - 24 on team rebounds. Coach Boudreau even said in the post game interview he felt like we should have lost with all the issues we had this afternoon, but still pulled out the road conference win over a historically rival school. That's a sign of a really solid team; when you can have a "bad" game and still get the W. Really hope the students and community will come out next weekend for their home game with Tennessee State. 

These are the games we lost earlier USD and UTSA and maybe even valpo. When you play the kind of defense we have been playing these are results. We’re on a streak and I still don’t think we have played a complete 40 minutes.
sealhall74

Its official.  The guys are the most statistically-improved team in the OVC from week 1 through week 3 of conference play.

To say it another way, we are statistically and summarily trending positively.  

To say it yet another way, we are just plain smoking hot.

Note that I DO NOT include Lindenwood and Southern Ind. statistics in my analysis because the NCAA does not
include them in their ranking summary stats while transitioning.  I might code up another means of getting the data
down the road if I get a really bad case of cabin fever.

Embrace the pace of the race.
bignecks

Western is up to second in the OVC on Kenpom. Still far behind Morehead State. 
sealhall74

bignecks wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:23 pm Western is up to second in the OVC on Kenpom. Still far behind Morehead State. 

My ranking measure (Euclidean Distance above) which looks at all NCAA stats has us behind Morehead and UT Martin as well.

Embrace the pace of the race.